Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Centerboard uphaul repair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wm36
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/05/2023 :  14:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

My 1995 WB is having problems with the centerboard uphaul. The system is jammed somewhere. As hard as I pull from the cockpit, I can't make the thing budge. And although it is down, I don't know that it is fully down.

This year was the second in a row where the centerboard dropped enough during boat ramp launching that it hit the end of the trailer, causing the boat to be stuck and wouldn't back off the trailer. We had a brave soul this year that wandered by and asked what was going on, and he ended up going under the boat and getting things unstuck so we could get it launched. "Never again" my wife and I said. So, instead of using the boat ramp to put it back on the trailer this year, I have arranged to have a nearby boat yard lift it out with their hoist and take a look and repair. I am a little afraid of how much this is going to cost me, but it's either that or just leave it in the water year round (which would probably cost me more). So we will see what happens.

I know others have done some of the repair and replacement themselves, but I am not aware of a DIY boat yard, and I can't lift it off the trailer at home.

PS Depending on the cost and how I like this yard, I may switch to using their hoist to launch and recover. We are getting too old to do this from the boat ramp.

Wayne & Lynn
Hillsboro OR
1995 C250 WB #151

alippold
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2023 :  14:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you inspected the block and tackle located behind the stairs to see if it is twisted or fouled in some way? I replaced the line on my boat several years ago as well as the roller going into the cockpit.

Amber Waves
Go to Top of Page

wm36
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2023 :  12:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alippold

Have you inspected the block and tackle located behind the stairs to see if it is twisted or fouled in some way? I replaced the line on my boat several years ago as well as the roller going into the cockpit.

Yes, I have inspected behind the stairs. I will take another good look there before I actually head to the boat yard.

Wayne & Lynn
Hillsboro OR
1995 C250 WB #151
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2023 :  21:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wayne,

I have several ideas to help you.
First, I would guess the Centerboard lifting line is stuck on the turning ball.
Catalina Yachts has a turning ball replacement kit.
The kit is sold through Catalina Direct.

Here's a post with great photos about using the replacement kit.

Below The Waterline (AKA Turning Ball Replacement)
https://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31956

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793

Edited by - Russ.Johnson on 10/10/2023 21:16:27
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2023 :  21:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The next topic is raising the centerboard on the water.
If you can raise the centerboard then it is possible to use the launch ramp and get it on your trailer.

You can see on the photo below, the centerboard extends aft of the divider between the two portlights (windows).
It is possible to walk a line from the bow to that spot.
As the line is moved aft, it would drag the centerboard from the down position to the trailering position.

For example, run the line from the port winch to the port jib track pulley.
Then run the line under the lifeline and around the bow.
Once on the starboard side, snug the line and slowly drag the line aft.
You should feel the weight of the centerboard as it is raised.
If it is too heavy, use the starboard jib track pulley and starboard winch.
Once the centerboard is raised, secure the line.

When the centerboard is raised, it will be hard to steer.
Try this procedure at your slip to get some practice.
Because of the steering, you might raise again at the launch ramp.

Here's a photo of my C250WB on the trailer.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2023 :  21:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The next topic is launching when the centerboard line is loose.
I had the same problem where my centerboard was caught on the trailer and wouldn't move.
The easiest solution is crank the C250 back on the trailer.
When the bow eye strap tightens, the centerboard will rub against the bottom bunk and raise itself.
Then in the cockpit, tighten the centerboard line to keep it raised.
I know that won't work for your situation today.

The long-term solution I used was to extend the bottom bunk to the aft end of the trailer.
The standard Trail-Rite trailer, bottom bunk is a 8-foot 2x6 covered in carpet.
In the photo below, I used the another 8-foot 2x6 (16-total feet).
Then another 2x4 on the Port and Starboard (2x4 + 2x6 + 2x4).
Installed new carpet to cover it all.
This is from memory, so measure your trailer.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793

Edited by - Russ.Johnson on 10/10/2023 21:51:18
Go to Top of Page

wm36
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2023 :  11:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Russ for your helpful advice. I tried something similar to your suggestion of extending the bottom bunk. Before backing down the launch ramp, I clamped a small sheet of plywood to the back end of the trailer, effectively extending the centerboard bunk and allowing it to be off center as it floated off the trailer. This didn't work, not sure why.

Anyway, I took the boat to a local repair yard yesterday. When they lifted it out on the sling, the centerboard was down, but only at about 45 degrees. We looked underneath and found that the lifting cable had slipped off the lifting block and was jammed alongside it. The turning ball looked like it was in good shape. Still waiting for the final call from the yard, but it looks like that was the extent of the problem. The manager I dealt with was familiar with the turning ball failure on Catalinas and knew about the replacement part from Catalina.

I think this happened the last time we were in the San Juans. Our marina there occasionally has some very negative tides. During one of these, when I motored from the mooring to the dock to pick up passengers, I remember getting stuck on the bottom and couldn't back out from the dock. I raised the centerboard (as much as I could) and the rudder and was able to get out. I think this created enough slack in the lifting cable that it slipped off of the lifting block and then jammed alongside as the centerboard came back down (partially).

So all is not lost, other than unexpected expense. This gives a chance to inspect underneath more fully than I can when it is on the trailer. We may also let them do a proper job of bottom painting. Our sailing season is done anyway and the boat will go back on the trailer in the driveway until next spring.

Wayne & Lynn
Hillsboro OR
1995 C250 WB #151
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2023 :  20:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wayne,
I glad to hear you have a plan.
On a side-note, I grew up in Camas.
I’ve been through Hillsboro many times.
Thanks, Russ

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page