Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Purge Freshwater System (no marine head)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Timkro
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
6 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/24/2023 :  14:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to permanently winterize the freshwater system. Am I stuck with using antifreeze or can it be purged completely?

Tim Kromholtz, Bayview, ID
2001 Catalina 250WK 2023
1978 Ranger 20 2005-2023

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2023 :  22:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, while I have a C25, I’m going to assume that your freshwater tank, sink drains, faucet pump handles and tubing are not fundamentally different than mine.

Unless you have a powered water pumping or pressurized system, you probably have a 6-9 gallon freshwater tank, plastic tubing between the tank and the faucets, stainless steel sinks, and plastic drain tubing that leads to proper through hull fittings.

If you can COMPLETELY empty your water tank, the hoses should not be difficult to blow out using compressed air or even your breath, and the drain hoses should drain completely if you disconnect both ends. As far as I know, the pump handles don’t hold water between uses, but you should pump them dry once you clear all the water from the tubing.

Once you’ve removed all the water from your freshwater system, you shouldn’t need any antifreeze ever again.

In my case, I drained my tank over 10 years ago, so I’m pretty sure that it’s empty. My galley sink is used to hold my keys, phone, and other paraphernalia. I have shortened the hose for my head sink so I can add a one gallon milk jug to supply it water, and place the jug in the cabinet underneath the sink for hand washing. I simply put the end of the hose into the jug and the pump faucet does the trick.

End of the season I simply remove and empty the jug, and pump the spigot dry. I blow out the drain hose with compressed air, and I’m done.

I tried to use the freshwater system years ago, but I could not defeat the algae and slime. Other folks have had much better luck using it.

I only use the one sink for hand washing, so I keep it simple. Drinking water is brought aboard from home using a 3-gallon insulated picnic jug that I fill with ice and keep a six pack of bottled water handy.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2023 :  22:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should add the following warning. If you ever remove your drain hoses from the through hull fittings, always, always, always replace the hoses securely and use two stainless steel hose clamps to reinstall the drain hoses to the through hull fitting. I recommend two clamps because they are under the ship’s waterline. If it ever failed and the hose wiggled free then your boat will sink. That hose and the two hose clamps are all that separate you from disaster.

Now you could always close the through hull valve whenever you leave the boat, but I’m not sure how consistently everyone does that. You’d have to do it without fail. So a second hose clamp is cheap insurance.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 08/24/2023 22:25:53
Go to Top of Page

Timkro
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
6 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2023 :  16:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bruce for all the info. You've got me worried about the through hull fittings!

2001 Catalina 250WK 2023
1978 Ranger 20 2005-2023
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2023 :  08:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tim, I’m guessing that your through hulls are just fine, but it’s never a bad idea to double check them.
When you think about everything that can sink the boat, 8+ foot breaking waves over the gunwales are the scariest, hitting an iceberg is probably the most dramatic, and loose through hull fittings are the most insidious. Never knew what hit you!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Timkro
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
6 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2023 :  23:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was out this weekend having a wonderful likely end of season sail. The through hull drains are all above the waterline on my boat which sets my mind at ease a little bit. They are only 6 inches or so above so it's a good idea to make sure they're in good shape.

2001 Catalina 250WK 2023
1978 Ranger 20 2005-2023
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2023 :  17:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
I have not used the water system in our 250 , 1999 WK. for over 13 years.
We live in Nebr. so I filled it full of Antifreeze, then pumped it all out.
Never to be used agine. BUT ! I would caution you on the BLOW OUT thing.
How much pressure ? How much is to much ?
Don’t Assume, that one boat is similar To another boat, just because we’re on the same web page.
Older boats , sometimes are not made the same way newer boats are made.
From a 250 guy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page