Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 C250 water leak under the step
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DeaLatis
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
1 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/14/2023 :  15:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoping someone would be able to attach a photo of your C250 WB under the step where the water ballast fill valve and keel cable hose enters into the "volcano". We have a leak and can't decipher where exactly it's coming from. It may be helpful to see what it's supposed to look like vs. what we have.

Donna Prunier

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2023 :  19:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Donna! I have no pix because I didn't have a C-250--some C-250 folks will reply, but have you tried our Search function (upper right) looking for something like "ballast leak" in the C-250 forum? You'll get a list of discussions to explore. I recall several were about leaks between the ballast tank walls and the hull. Hope this helps...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2023 :  07:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the only picture I have of mine. I can get more pictures later today when I am at the boat, if you need!

Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2023 :  13:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! When I first got my boat mine leaked when I sailed but not at the slip. Figured out that it was the water sloshing around the ballast tank and leaking out the seal of the valve stem. That gasket just never sealed up well against the fiberglass. So I took some plumbers putty and put it around the valve stem where the gasket meets the fiberglass and that sealed it up after I retightened the valve. No more leaks. Might be something like that anyway.

2004 250WB #781
Go to Top of Page

NHC25
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2023 :  12:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, thanks for the replies, they've been helpful. This is Ed, Donna's husband. All clues point to a leak somewhere around the shaft and there appeared to be some patchwork on the back side of the tube. I removed all the patch work, cleaned it up and covered the entire area with fiberglass and resin. A question we have now is related to a seam in the tube and if we should seal it. It looks like it is there by design at maybe what would be near water level.

After looking at Jacob's picture, I'm wondering if this could have been cut by a previous owner when replacing the turning ball. The seam ends up under the rubber hose so I'm not sure sealing it would accomplish anything except for making future turning ball repairs more difficult.

Edited by - NHC25 on 06/25/2023 19:28:17
Go to Top of Page

NHC25
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2023 :  18:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to seal the seam to play it safe. Not sure if was the fiberglass patch and seal but we've had a dry hull all summer. She does have a repaired ballast so I can only assume the leak in the tube was related somehow.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page