Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Ramp Launching a C250WK with a Road King Trailer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2023 :  13:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zeil

Dave... Please enlighten us how one would maneuver having two hinge points. Do you place the truck and boat-trailer in line with the ramp and then attach the hitch extension? How easy or difficult is it to maneuver around the ramp area with the extension in place.

I'd also like to hear about your experiences backing and maneuvering the trailer with this extension, Dave. I plan to make a tongue extension of some kind, and yours would be easy to make.

I suppose one could back the trailer down the ramp, chock the wheels, unhook it, pull the truck forward and attach the extension, and then back it into the water. You could do the opposite when pulling the boat out. Isn't that the way the people do it when they use a rope for a tongue extension?

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to attach safety chains to connect the tongue extension to the truck, and safety chains at the other end to attach it to the trailer? (in case either hitch became disconnected)

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

RPLieser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2023 :  11:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidCrosby

I have a lot of experience ramp launching my C250 wk. Here is a video I posted showing a launch. The truck in this case happens to be my friend's F-350. I have a F-150. We do get the back wheels wet, but typically not past the rubber.

The tongue extension has been lengthened an additional three feet over the factory original length.

From 2010 - 2020 I operated out of a club that the boat stayed on the trailer fully rigged. I had to launch and retrieve every weekend. That equates to 200 or more launch / retrievals.

I also have traveled a lot with this boat. We are based out of Carlyle Lake, IL.
I have taken the boat to Kentucky Lake multiple times.
The following places on Lake Michigan: Northport, MI. Elk Rapids, MI. Fish Creek, WI.
In 2019 we launched in Midland, Ontario and retrieved in Little Current, Ontario after exploring Georgian Bay and the North Channel.

I have done two trips on the rivers:
(Alton, IL to Kentucky Lake on the Mississippi, Ohio and Tennessee Rivers)
(Grand Rivers, KY to Iuka, MS on the Tennessee River).
2022 we took the boat to the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior.
2023 we are headed to Charlevoix, MI.
All of this has been done via ramp launch and retrieval.

Good luck, it really is very straight forward once setup properly.

https://youtube.com/shorts/kCNgBC0P11Q

Patrick Lieser

C250WK #973
Knot My Fault III
Avila Beach, CA

(PO of C250WB #312)

Go to Top of Page

RPLieser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2023 :  12:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to David Crosby for the great video!

I tow/launch with my RAM 1500 Hemi equipped with limited slip differential. I bought the boat last June in Lake Tahoe, loaded it up and towed it through the mountains/valleys for 8 hours with zero issues averaging 14mpg at between 60-65mph on the flats, in 100 degree heat. Loading it up was an hour long+ exercise with the seller's Tacoma 4WD bed in the water and us trying to get that wing just right below the guides.

I noted in the video that you had just likely moved the tongue extension forward as far as practical and drilled another hole for the hitch pin (I guess that's a question?)

I have done something similar after my initial extraction (note my pics), but have been having serious doubts that it's enough - hence my original thread. I moved the tongue forward a couple of feet and re-drilled for the hitch pin... additionally I located a heavy duty truck rear-spring U-bolt, plate and nuts to hopefully relieve some of what I expect is the inevitable bowing of the extension and to also spread the load a bit.

Patrick Lieser

C250WK #973
Knot My Fault III
Avila Beach, CA

(PO of C250WB #312)

Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2023 :  21:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sir,
Back the trailer down the ramp,, ( wheel just out of the water ).
Block trailer, lower the 5 wheel. Move auto fwd. install extension.
Reconnect auto. Launch boat. Remove trailer from water.
Block trailer at same place, remove extension, reconnect auto.
Lift 5 wheel, now one can maneuver auto, and trailer around ramp area.
With the trailer in “ 5 “ wheel condition, it will only go straight, it will not turn.
To be able to maneuver the trailer around the lot, with out disconnecting
the extension, then one must not have the 5 th wheel, and one must put
Wheels on the extension.
Good question.
Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2023 :  21:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where can we buy the spare tire carrier with the reversible hub? All I can find online are fixed spare tire carriers.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2023 :  05:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sir,
Back the trailer down the ramp,, ( wheel just out of the water ).
Block trailer, lower the 5 wheel. Move auto fwd. install extension.
Reconnect auto. Launch boat. Remove trailer from water.
Block trailer at same place, remove extension, reconnect auto.
Lift 5 wheel, now one can maneuver auto, and trailer around ramp area.
With the trailer in “ 5 “ wheel condition, it will only go straight, it will not turn.
To be able to maneuver the trailer around the lot, with out disconnecting
the extension, then one must not have the 5 th wheel, and one must put
Wheels on the extension.
Good question.
Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

RPLieser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2023 :  17:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Link posted earlier in this thread:
https://pacifictrailers.com/products/5-lug-pivoting-hub-mounted-spare-tire-carrier-mount-baja-style

Patrick Lieser

C250WK #973
Knot My Fault III
Avila Beach, CA

(PO of C250WB #312)

Go to Top of Page

csmcg
1st Mate

Members Avatar

96 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2023 :  13:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link Patrick. These look like a much better option than the nuts & bolts bracket that I fight with every time that we launch or retrieve.

For those that order one, be aware that the lead-time can be significant. I ordered the tire carrier in May 17th 2023. After not hearing anything for several months, on 09/26/23 I sent an email to their support and got a response within an hour.

"I was just informed that your custom part should be done by tomorrow and will ship out either Tue 09/26 or Wed 09/27.

When your item ships, you will receive a tracking link with updated status and can track the delivery of your order.

Thank you for your patience."

As of today, 10/10/23, I have yet to receive a tracking link.

Regards, Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2023 :  18:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zeil

Dave... Please enlighten us how one would maneuver having two hinge points. Do you place the truck and boat-trailer in line with the ramp and then attach the hitch extension? How easy or difficult is it to maneuver around the ramp area with the extension in place.

Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2023 :  18:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zeil,
One back the trailer down the ramp, stopped just at the waters edge, block the trailer, unhook the truck from the trailer, move truck forward. Attached the tongue extension, to both trailer and truck. Unblock trailer, and back all down the ramp.
Once boat is launched, or recovered then pull the trailer from the water. Reblock trailer, remove extension, reattach truck to trailer and drive trailer away.
Works every time.

Edited by - Dave Brown on 10/31/2023 18:41:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page