Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Dropping Mast on Capri 25 without crane or hoist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pirate Princess
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/29/2024 :  14:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone dropped their mast without using a crane or hoist? I have seen a YouTube video but it wasn't closeups and didn't show the steps on how to do it. If anyone has an idea, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Karen

Karen Hawkins
Kansas City "Wheat Coast"

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
239 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2024 :  14:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did it ONCE with my spinnaker pole as a "gin" pole. I would NOT do that again as my spinnaker pole suffered under the load. Otherwise it is doable, but I would recommend using a gin pole with more strength than the typical spinnaker pole on this size boat.
Also, I did it on my trailer and used the trailer winch to hoist the mast. Again, it was under a lot of strain but it held. The first part of the lift is the hardest and it gets easier as the mast weight shifts to gravity at the base of the mast instead of all of the weight on the gin pole.
if you are on the water you may be able to use the boat's winches with a number of blocks set to route the hoisting line from the bow to the winch. I just used a halyard at the bow. Other options come to mind, just depends on how much you want to invest in the operation. One last piece of advice. if you are not level or in a situation with wind or waves I would take the extra time to rig temporary guy lines to the base of the spreaders to keep the mast centered as it comes up. It can get away from you pretty easily if unbalanced.

You should be able to find lots of how to's on You-Tube searching for "gin pole" mast raising or something similar to that. Good Luck.

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
239 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2024 :  14:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM-FjH_DlqY
This looks like a good how to

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

Capri25
Deckhand

Members Avatar

11 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2024 :  16:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a written procedure for raising and lowering a Capri 25 mast without a crane that I could send you.

quote:
Originally posted by Pirate Princess

Has anyone dropped their mast without using a crane or hoist? I have seen a YouTube video but it wasn't closeups and didn't show the steps on how to do it. If anyone has an idea, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Karen

Go to Top of Page

jsumrvl
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2024 :  19:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you got the mast down.
Hope u tube was helpfull.
Happy sailing

Jim Summerville
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page