Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Oh What a Season it Has Been So Far . . .
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1757 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/18/2024 :  18:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spoiler alert, this may be long!

This season has been unbelievably hectic. Son's destination wedding; work travel on steroids; community activities on hyper drive, etc. But . . . .for the past couple of years have been concerned about having an outboard auxiliary engine. had rotator cuff surgery in 2021 and that as well as the Admiral's fear that when attempting to start or stop engine I would go overboard led me to looking for a boat with diesel inboard. I am on a budget as about to retire, so I focused on classic plastic. Alas, inspiring I saw a Tartan 30, pics looked good, brokers comments good, so I went and looked. The boat ha day preferred rear galley, was in excellent condition an with a two year old diesel engine. Offer made and accepted. Broke contacted me with a surveyor who did an excellent job (Stinkpotter Dave, you are SO right that a survey is essential!) I was not present at the survey do to work, but the broker was. We agreed at then end a phone chat for initial summary. That afternoon the broker contacted me and said "I loved the boat, but, I am sending you a special report within an hour or two.Call me up to X at night to discuss. The report was that there was a slow leak from the fuel tank. His professional opinion was that the fuel tank was leaking (he had evidence) and needed to be done ASAP. The broker had left before the conclusion. Well, back and forth, the end result was quoted @$5.500 to replace the tank. The owner was "shocked" to hear this and in denial. Many conversations and I executed my recall the offer clause. The broker was first class and the surveyor is really great. He liked the boat and said no other major issues, but . . .

So I refocused on Limerick, which now has professionally redone non-skid but is not in the water yet because of the other static. Maybe events unfold for a reason. Still have to hang over the stern for outboard, but season 17 for Limerick!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

hlprmnky
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2024 :  10:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definitely feel your “hectic season” comment! Despite thinking that this would be the year I got out every nice weekend, now that I’m done with my second (!!) pass through grad school, I have so far managed to visit Puffin III a total of two times, and gone out zero. Work, home renovation project management, and an unexpected and ongoing struggle with the decline of an aging parent have expanded to consume all the time I had penciled in for sailing so far.

For Limerick, have you considered putting some of your Tartan 30 funds toward making her auxiliary more of a luxury option? I know new outboards are really pricey in These Unprecedented Times, but I have to imagine your new boat budget could be made to cover a nice 9.9HP from Tohatsu or Suzuki with electric start and tilt, along with throttle controls in the cockpit. No worries about flipping over the transom if you never have to reach back there to operate the motor!

1985 C25 SR/FK/Trad. “Puffin III” - #5040
Sailing Lake Michigan out of Michigan City, IN
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1757 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2024 :  14:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, have thought about it. My engine is a Tohatsu 9.8 with electric start. The real challenge is the engine mount, whcih while being pretty new still requires "ummph". One of the boats on a neighboring mooring had a power engine mount. The problem was the boat is on a salt water mooring and the mount corroded to a point of not working every second or third year. Still, have been considering options that might improve the situation.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5307 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2024 :  08:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, I feel your pain trying to raise and lower the outboard. The Honda 8HP weighs in around 100+ lbs, and it’s a struggle. I added a helper to the handle though.
I got a nine foot long piece of 1/2” sheet line and tied it onto the engine mount handle, doubled up the line, and led the two lines over the stern pulpit. Instead of bending wa-a-a-ay over the stern, I just stand behind the rail and pull the line like hell to raise up the engine. Pushing the engine down, l can control the speed of the drop so l can get the latch into the correct position setting.
Standing in an upright position feels a lot better for strength and control.
It seems to work out fine for me.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 07/27/2024 08:30:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page