Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Climbing the Mast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Little Wind
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/26/2024 :  07:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning fellow 250'ers (it's morning now for me, maybe not for you when you're reading this).
So, I have a WB model, no trailer, and my boat is in a slip.
I need to do some work on the windex and the anchor light. And also check things out in general up there.
I'm considering going up the mast and want to know if any of you have done that before. If so, how did you go about it and how much did you weigh?
I would lower the mast to do the work but, as I stated, I don't have a trailer and I don't have the raising/lowering gear.
Maybe you can tell me how I can lower the mast (and get it back up) while the boat is in the water.

Looking for good info, I appreciate it in advance.
Thanks,

Mark
Little Wind
1996 C250WB #206

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
233 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2024 :  07:42:48  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have two additional people and some room out in front of the boat, you can easily lower the mast at a dock.

If you have opposing slips with finger piers, you can have someone take the jib halyard out in front of the boat. You may need to add a line to get additional length. The person with the halyard will be adding additional resistance on the say down and additional pull on the way back up. Two people leap frog the lowering/raising of the mast. When lowering, first person is close to the mast and keeps it in line as it is starting to come down. The other person is standing behind the first and take control of the mast once it is in reach. The first person then gets in line behind the second and takes over control as the mast comes in reach. Do this leap frog another time or two until the mast is down. It will start getting heavier as it goes horizontal, but it is hinged at the step, so that end stays under control and the line out front helps until near horizontal.

There are numerous other gin pole methods that can be easily built out of 2x4s. Look around on this site and YouTube. When using a gin pole, rigging stays on the pivot point would be the best solution, but with enough people, the gin pole and mast can be kept in line left/right.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

Little Wind
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2024 :  08:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of the leap-frogging mast lowering method. I'm sure that can be done to my boat.
Any advice on raising the mast when I'm done with my work?
I notice in the Catalina 250 Owner Manual that there are two mast raising short shrouds that are only temporary and used to keep the mast centered as it's raised. How would I do the same without those temp shrouds?
And... I forgot that I have the fiberglass cradle for the bow and the mast carrier for the transom. I'd rather not use the mast carrier in its normal mount because that means I have to remove the rudder while the boat is in the water... not something I want to do.

Thanks,

Mark
Little Wind
1996 C250WB #206
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
233 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2024 :  10:00:55  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A 2x4 across the cat bird seats will give you a temporary cradle.

The baby stays are just to keep the mast from moving left to right. A person acting as a guide can easily address that motion.

Raising the mast involves leap frogging and the halyard out front being pulled by a third person as well. Once the two leap froggers lift the mast, the halyard gains some triangulation that then helps reduce the load while raising or lowering.

If you have an additional person, just get more hands involved in the leap frogging.

I have used this method on several boats over the years. For many years, I had a 28' E-Scow. The mast is ~30ft. I would regularly raise and lower this mast with three people. It did not have a hinged mast step, so one person had to hold the base of the mast into the step. Another on the Spinnaker halyard and then I would start aft in the cockpit, lift the mast over my head and then walk it forward along the cockpit until the mast was up. I did not have different levels and a cabin roof to deal with so could easily walk it by myself. Because of obstacles and a bit more weight, I suggest leap frogging.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

Little Wind
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2024 :  12:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, makes sense. I watched the $tingy Sailor videos of him stepping and lowering his C-22 mast by himself in a few different ways. I think I can do all of this in my slip. I am going to get a rigging tension gauge to use for this too.

No cat bird seats on my hull. Well before those were offered but I get your drift.

Thanks,

Mark
Little Wind
1996 C250WB #206
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page