Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Towing or Moving the Boat Without a Centerboard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Little Wind
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
18 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/18/2024 :  06:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So when it's time to take my boat to the yard for a bottom job and to get the CB reattached, I'm wondering about the boat running through the water without the board installed. Will water be pushed up through the CB line opening in the pocket? I don't think it would since the boat is meant to move about with the board down and the area where the through hull is located is normally exposed. Just wondering what the thoughts are here.
I will try calling Catalina in Largo and see if someone there has a knowledgeable answer too.

Mark

Mark
Little Wind
1996 C250WB #206

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
81 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2024 :  07:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
question: Where is the centerboard? I'm assuming its fully detached and not hanging by the cable?

2004 250WB #781
Go to Top of Page

Little Wind
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
18 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2024 :  07:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, centerboard is fully detached. The Vectran cord is not attached.

Mark

Mark
Little Wind
1996 C250WB #206
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
81 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2024 :  07:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think you'll get any water in the boat but the problem will be with no lateral resistance you'll have a hard time maintaining forward direction if you have a crosswind. I'd have a support boat assist you to wherever you are headed if it's windy.

2004 250WB #781
Go to Top of Page

Little Wind
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
18 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2024 :  08:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will either be motoring or towed. But yeah, the boat handles pretty awful when motoring even with the centerboard mounted but brought up. I have always had to lower my CB a bit when motoring out of my slip to get lateral resistance and a kind of pivot point.

Mark

Mark
Little Wind
1996 C250WB #206
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5307 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2024 :  17:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Often, the workboats in a marina setting will sort of sidle up or raft-up to the stern quarter of the boat with plenty of fenders and lines between. Rather than try to tow a squirrelly boat behind, it might make more sense to use the workboat method. It’s pretty much a standard move…

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page