Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Info About WB Centerboard Mounts on Hull
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Little Wind
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/13/2024 :  13:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for some info on how the centerboard mounts to the hull. I know there are two CB pin mounts that are bolted to the hull but what kind of hardware is used and how are the mounting points on the hull constructed? Also, how is the CB pin mounted in the board itself?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark
Little Wind
1996 C250WB #206

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
81 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2024 :  13:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several years ago I wrote an article on replacing the bushing in my CB that went in Catalina's Mainsheet magazine in summer 2021. Also wrote up a post here in the forum that talks a lot about the replacement process:
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32076 In the hull there are those 4 female bolt holes into which the 4 bolts on the bronze pin carrier bolts too. I don't know how they are set into the hull though. The rest you can read in the post. The pin is loose and rides in the bushing. For some reason I guess the picture server / photo gallery is down because the pictures aren't in the post.

2004 250WB #781
Go to Top of Page

Little Wind
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2024 :  07:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much! I am reading through the thread now (it would be great to see the photos...) and I'm sure I will get some good info from it. I went to the link for Catalina Direct and found a wealth of info there and the "threaded weldment" is exactly what I was wanting to know about. My CB fell off yesterday as I had a diver clean the hull after years of sitting in my slip. One keel hanger has the two bolts attached and the threads look fine. The other hanger has no bolts with it so I'm hoping they just fell out. As long as the bolts backed out on their own, the weldment may be okay for reuse. Not something I was planning on but actually nice to have this happen in the slip and not out on the water.

Mark

Mark
Little Wind
1996 C250WB #206
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
81 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2024 :  10:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about your board. If that had happened while sailing it would have been bad! Once you get it fixed, I would recommend keeping it in the up position while at the slip. The board will take much less abuse from wave action than if it's down. The prior owner(s) probably left mine down while in the water and it made a mess of the pivot hole that I had to ultimately fix. Also, one of them was originally backed out part way. I check my bolts fairly frequently by swimming under the boat even though I know they were tightened properly before the boat goes in the water each year. You can access the raw pictures here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lIwutpQiqEELQVzqUWOEBkB0viqf953D?usp=sharing Unfortunately they're not in order but you'll get the idea. :- )
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
81 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2024 :  16:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, I was wrong about when that article was in Mainsheet. Winter 2021. It's available here and it has all the pictures: https://mainsheet.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/MAINSHEET_WINTER_2021_UNLOCKED.pdf

2004 250WB #781
Go to Top of Page

Commodore
Russ Johnson

Members Avatar

USA
692 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2024 :  18:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,

Our website had a problem where the photos would not display.
That problem has been fixed.
The link now displays photos correctly.

Catalina 250 Centerboard Pivot Bushing Replacement
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32076

Thanks to Kemp for submitting your excellent Mainsheet article.

Russ Johnson, Commodore 2009-2024 (commodore at catalina-capri-25s.org)

Edited by - Commodore on 06/27/2024 18:56:38
Go to Top of Page

Little Wind
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2024 :  07:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Russ. I've been able to glean a lot of useful info from this forum and from the Catalina Direct website. I feel confident that I will be able to get my boat fixed up fine.

Mark
Little Wind
1996 C250WB #206
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page