Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Boat Washing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/24/2023 :  15:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I'm having some minor (hopefully) medical issues and haven't been able to get down to my boat in several months. I got an email from the marina the other day advising my boat has some green "stuff" growing on the North side of it and it needs to be washed.

It's been blistering hot here for several weeks with no relief in sight for the 110+ degree heat index's we've been experiencing. So I'm looking for a quick and easy way to get her cleaned up without having to scrub.

Having recently washed the house down with 30 Second Outdoor Cleaner I am wondering if I could use it to clean the boat. It's 5% Hypochlorite and other proprietary ingredients. It says it can be used on several things including plastic and fiberglass.

My main concern is if the Hypochlorite might discolor or otherwise effect the metal on the winches, mast, sail tracks, etc..

Looking for thoughts and advice from the vast and unpaid research team.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2023 :  19:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gary,

I have no idea if this is relevant or not, but I thought I'd bring it up. Is the cleaner toxic to plants or animals? I was just thinking that it sure would be a big mistake to get on the wrong side of the EPA ... they have a big stick, and they use it.

'Just a thought. Maybe someone who actually knows what they're talking about will weigh in ...

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2023 :  20:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I googled Hypochlorite and found this description of it: "Hypochlorite is the strongest oxidizing agent of the chlorine oxyanions." I don't know if 5% hypochlorite can damage your winches, mast or sail track, but, without more reliable information, I'd be hesitant to put an oxidizer on them.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2023 :  20:56:01  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure about Hyperchlorite. But why chance it. I guess you could try a small area and see if it works okay.....as you indicated it did state that it could be used on fiberglas.....but why take a chance. Just go down to West Marine and ask what is the best product they have to do the job. They usually have a knowledgeable staff.
Another thought:
Since you are getting over medical issues...maybe worth asking what the local boat workers would charge to clean/detail the boat. Considering your medical issues right now, perhaps it would be worth the extravagance, at least this one time, for others to do the job for you.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2023 :  13:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
West Marine has a number of hull cleaning "chemicals". I have used some to clean the brown/green from waterline, but when the boat is out of water. Sometimes just a stiff brush will get the job done. If you use chemical solution just make sure it is environmentally safe! We have all been there, hope it works out. And, more importantly, hope your health is good!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2023 :  20:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By "green stuff growing on the north side", do they mean along the waterline, the hull topsides, on deck, or what? Waterline growth calls for one thing--above the gunwales is something else. I can't claim to know what's best in Texas conditions (only having experience in MI and CT). But on the hull in the water, pressure might be as effective, or more than chemicals. Muriatic acid is generally the easiest solution for waterline growth and staining, but I can't speak to its environmental friendliness.

I use Starbrite deck cleaner up top--removes mildew with a light brushing and leaves a film that seals the gelcoat without making the decks slippery--at least not after it dries. (The bottle gets very slippery as you use it.) I buy it in big jugs.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/25/2023 20:27:01
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2023 :  04:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buzz - Didn't even cross my mind about hurting the environment. Thanks for remindinbg me, Shame on me!

Steve - Agree 100% Thank you!

Larry/Peter - I'm pretty sure the 30 Second Cleaner is not good for the environment and the metals on the boat so I've decided not to use it. I took your advice and spent an hour on West Marine's website. They've got 100's of cleaners for boats. Found several that look like they might work. I plan on going down there tomorrow or Friday and will discuss with their team on which is the best for my need. I noticed some of the cleaners could be used with a foam gun or a pump-up sprayer to apply and you just rinse off the dirt and grime.

My wife had already been pushing the "hire someone else" line of thinking but I squeak when I walk so was thinking I could still do it myself in the evenings or early morning before it gets hot. LOL We'll see. 1I'll be calling the marina today to see if they have some vendors that can do it at a reasonable price.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 06/28/2023 04:34:04
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2023 :  04:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

By "green stuff growing on the north side", do they mean along the waterline, the hull topsides, on deck, or what? Waterline growth calls for one thing--above the gunwales is something else. I can't claim to know what's best in Texas conditions (only having experience in MI and CT). But on the hull in the water, pressure might be as effective, or more than chemicals. Muriatic acid is generally the easiest solution for waterline growth and staining, but I can't speak to its environmental friendliness.

I use Starbrite deck cleaner up top--removes mildew with a light brushing and leaves a film that seals the gelcoat without making the decks slippery--at least not after it dries. (The bottle gets very slippery as you use it.) I buy it in big jugs.

Dave - The boat is in the water so I need to find something EPA approved. The algae and pollution residue is on the cabin top and above the waterline. The waterline itself is not a problem. I've used Starbrite deck cleaner before and it works great.

With my medical issue I was trying to find something I could just spray on and rinse off without having to scrub. West Marine appears to have some cleaners that might work. As mentioned above, I will discuss with them tomorrow or Friday when I'm down at the boat.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2023 :  04:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on what I find out in the next day or two, I may just hire someone to do it. Anyone have an idea what a reasonable rate would be for just a straight wash, no detail or waxing?

Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

This is what makes this the best sailing forum on the web.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2023 :  10:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this was a no brainer! Contacted one of the vendors the marina provided and it will be $51.00 tax included this first time since it's so dirty and $31.26 with tax next time.

Company has been in business 43 years and has a 5 star rating.

No way I'm going out in this heat and risk my health if someone else can do it for this rate! Wish I had known about them before.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and feedback!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2023 :  20:41:07  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
$51 !!! Wow!! Might as well give it a try....as long as they do not use sulfuric acid.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2023 :  05:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

$51 !!! Wow!! Might as well give it a try....as long as they do not use sulfuric acid.
...or WD-40... Relax and get well!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2023 :  18:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Supposedly Turtle Wax and Wash with just a very little chlorox mixed in.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2023 :  18:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:

...or WD-40... Relax and get well!

Thank you Dave!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2023 :  16:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went down to the boat today. The guy did an awesome job of cleaning the boat. He got some stuff off the cabin top that I've been struggling to remove for awhile. Overall better job than what I've been able to do myself.

Best of all I didn't have to break out one drop of sweat! LOL

I'm going to discuss with them about doing the teak and polishing/waxing the hull.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2023 :  04:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe its age, or maybe its skill, but for me one small treat is having a professional polish the topsides. Always looks better and as you said "didn't have to break out one drop of sweat!"

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2023 :  09:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

Maybe its age, or maybe its skill, but for me one small treat is having a professional polish the topsides. Always looks better and as you said "didn't have to break out one drop of sweat!"

They did such a great job I'm going to check with them on polishing and waxing the boat as well.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2023 :  10:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the yard polish and wax my C&C35 the second year I owned it, and they did the hard work of removing all the chalking. After that, it was easy for me to wash it in the spring and wax it. I applied Maguires Flagship polish/wax with a damp cloth and buffed it off with an inexpensive Turtle wax buffer. No hard rubbing. Once a year was enough to keep it looking nice.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page