Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Rule brand Aquasignal Bulkhead Compass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/10/2022 :  17:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a beautiful sailing compass installed into the cockpit bulkhead that says Rule Aquameter on it. I gather that the Rule brand is no longer in business, nonetheless it is a sight to behold, and it still works fine. I’ve looked at a lot of other brands like Plastimo and Ritchie, and while they also look good, none are as nice as the Rule.
I’m guessing that Dave Stinkpotter B installed it back in the day. I have religiously removed it from the boat each fall to prevent it from freezing, as I’ve had other compasses “expansion glands” freeze and crack and lose all the oil that the card floats in. There’s generally no cure for this condition, so I try to be very careful with it.
Now, the compass has a thin plastic cover that protects it from the ultraviolet rays of the sun. Over time, the cover has shown its age. It’s cracking and while I’ve repaired it with white sail tape and crazy glue, I’m afraid that it won’t have many more seasons ahead.
Since the company is gone, I won’t be able to just order a new one. Has anybody here repaired or replaced their compass cover?
I was thinking that I might try some shrink wrap plastic, but I’m afraid that the heat would affect the original plastic cover while I was shrinking the covering. Thoughts, suggestions?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 10/10/2022 17:57:53

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2022 :  17:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, here’s a listing and picture of the compass. They just don’t make them like this anymore
Rule Aquameter

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 10/10/2022 17:58:33
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2022 :  11:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I’ve repaired it with white sail tape and crazy glue, I’m afraid that it won’t have many more seasons ahead.

Lol, Sounds just like mine. My compass is a Suunto, What model I don't know but I've sail taped the cover together and treat it very gingerly. Ive done some searches for a replacement but to no avail. I made a cover for my depth meter but that is square so it was fairly easy. If anybody has found replacement covers please let us know.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2022 :  16:12:17  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To protect my bulkhead steering compass, I sewed a square of Sunbrella with what I think are called dart seams to create a 3 dimensional bowl in the cloth to fit the compass bulge.  The cover is held in place with snaps in the 4 corners.  After 25 years, it's due for replacement.  I'll definitely do the same again.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2022 :  17:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, Leon, thanks for your solutions. I’ve wondered if folks have used Sunbrella cloth or other common materials. I’ve also thought of a plastic deli container cut to fit, with some cloth tape wrapped around the edges.
I’m wondering also, can I take my current plastic compass cover, put some wet sand or plaster of Paris inside, and create a form that can take the heat of a heat gun to form a new cover? Or put some epoxy over the form?
There’s more than one way to do this, but I’m looking for the surest and easiest way, and something that doesn’t look like a total kluge.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 10/12/2022 18:07:04
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2022 :  20:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3D printer? (...and a 3D scanner...)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2022 :  04:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of coating the exterior my cover with multiple coats of something like Flex Seal. Build it up so it's thick enough but still flexible. The spray can in white. It's a rubberized product that I think is UV resistant.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 10/13/2022 04:39:20
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2022 :  08:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, that sounds good, however, you have to wonder if the material hardens enough to not run or stretch, and as you pointed out, whether it can take the years of exposure to sunlight. Certainly worse comes to worst, if you can eventually peel it off, you can always reseal it.
Dave, yes a 3D printer would be excellent. Wish that I had access to one.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2022 :  16:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce….when I was looking to replace my portlights several years ago I ended up at an industrial plastics workshop and was amazed by the wide range of projects they took on, from CNC, vacuum form molding, and countless routing and custom cutting projects. Their book of accomplishments showcased their using a wide range of materials to make small replacement parts for science instruments, art works, … up to the base layer for an Olympic bobsled run, …and sailboat portlights. I was impressed and their rates were reasonable. Might be worth checking for a similar workshop near you. Edit- They also had the tools for reasonably small parts to create a 3D model of the original using a 3D scanner or mechanical duplicator.

I’ve never done it but there are many YouTube videos about vacuum form molding. I did have a shop make several specialized air-tight containers using ABS plastic at an earlier employer and it proved a very efficient approach.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972

Edited by - glivs on 10/13/2022 16:17:58
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2022 :  06:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I have a Plastimo bulkhead compass which was what the boat had when I got her. I replaced in 2008 because the plastic was crazed (they did not use a cover) I have never removed in winter and it still is accurate, at least compare to the hand held compass I have as back-up.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2022 :  18:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Peter, There are several ways to kill a compass. One is to leave it exposed to the UV rays. On my compass there’s a glass bulb which is not affected by UV, and which protects anything inside from UV, since most glass is opaque to UV. The outside cover to the bulb, however, is made of clear plastic. After a few years of direct sun, it’ll become frosted and glazed. After awhile, it’ll be unreadable.
While there’s no direct link between freezing temperatures and a broken rubber seal, I’ve had two compasses fail in the same way: loss of its dampening oil in the bulb.
Because my current compass is very valuable to me I will try to keep it safe and good for as long as I can. So every winter, out it comes to sit in the warm basement.
It’s nearly impossible to kill the magnetic side of a compass unless you muck up your magnetic fields with electrical fields or ferrous materials aboard the boat. And it’ll still work fine if you fix things up.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page