Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Is San Diego still on the map
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/10/2022 :  11:52:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a wing and a centre board equipped C250 we wonder if San Diego is within and would still be a destination for a month or so this coming winter. And if so… which one. It seems like a daring thought either way having the advantage of quite a few years in age. Both boats have advantages and some drawbacks given the distance and sailing venue. Our Ram, one ton diesel, is certainly capable in dealing with either. The boats are pretty well equally equipped with the sailplane of the winger having all lines led to the cockpit, a bit more headroom, but heavier and more precarious to tow. Your thought would be appreciated

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2022 :  18:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Choices, choices! A dilemma!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2022 :  20:12:11  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Henk,

I tow my wing keel on a fairly big trip each year. In fact, I have just finished a 700 mile drive (St. Louis, MO to Bayfield, WI). We are now sailing the Apostle Islands for the week. My only concern is finding a deep enough ramp. I do some calling ahead to ask questions about the ramp and so far have not encountered any problems. One thing to note, I did lengthen my tongue extension from 10 feet to almost 13 feet pretty much immediately after purchasing the boat 13 years ago.

I changed tow vehicles a year ago. I now have a 2016 Ford F-150 (V8). It is more than adequate for towing the C250Wk. I am very comfortable taking my C250WK places.

My two cents!

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

RPLieser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2022 :  11:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zeil,

I've recently swapped my '97 C250WB for an '08 C250WK. While I'm from San Diego, I live in San Luis Obispo County about a ~6 hour tow from the north. I normally tow off hours as the traffic through LA is thick. I tow with a RAM1500 with an anti-slip differential - no issues. I can tow along at 65-70 (legal is 55 in CA) and get ~12-13mpg. I just towed my recent '08 wing acquisition 8 hours from Lake Tahoe - home... also an easy tow. Lest we forget, CA requires the boat to have tie downs.

I've launched/sailed my old C22 and C250WB at the primary viable public launch ramp on Harbor Island. While the ramp itself was always fine, the surrounding breakwater structure and floating docks within had their issues.

This ramp facility has recently undergone what looks to be an impressive upgrade, which can only make the experience better (Google pics online).

I normally reserve a slip at the Shelter Island Marina which I've come to appreciate as it is well tucked in and reservations are easy to make.

The greatest issue in SD is where to put the trailer, in my case for a week at a time. The ramp has a very large parking lot, but they frown on unhitched overnighting trailers.

I chatted with the Harbor Police (office just down the road) and they told me about a locally accepted practice... leaving the trailer parked in parallel with the rock rip-rap along the bottom of the lot, and leave a cell# easily located. I've done this the last couple of times... no phone calls - no issues. As it turns out, with the Navy having their carrier base across the way on North Island - and the worries of terrorism, everything is camera'd so theft is pretty much a non-issue.

I've also rented boats in San Diego, usually a C270 from Seaforth Marine... nice, but as you know... not the same.

Direct message me if you have more questions about SD Bay or if you need additional tips.

Patrick Lieser

C250WK #973
Knot My Fault III
Avila Beach, CA

(PO of C250WB #312)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page