Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Pop-top cover dimensions or pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hlprmnky
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
38 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/12/2021 :  16:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My C25 is on her cradle for the winter, and as I turn my attention from sailing season to projects season, once again the search for a pop-top cover comes top of mind.

I know that Catalina Direct doesn’t sell them new anymore; nor does Catalina themselves (I called around and checked!). I have put in inquiries any place one might still be for sale, but I want to take a proactive stance as well, in case those are all spoken for or cannot be run to ground.

Does anyone have a pattern for the pop-top cover, or a list of dimensions of the panels, from which a pattern could be attempted? My mainsail cover needs some attention this winter, and if I’m engaging a canvas shop for the tiny job of fixing up a zipper and some stitching, I might as well also ask them about fabrication of the cover I (and more importantly, my wife!) desire for next season.

Thanks in advance for any leads!

1985 C25 SR/FK/Trad. “Puffin III” - #5040
Sailing Lake Michigan out of Michigan City, IN

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2021 :  17:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the factory Catalina 25 pop-top tent which fits beautifully, and is very well made.  Sewing one from scratch would be difficult, even working from good patterns.  Paying to have a new one made would be very costly and potentially disappointing.

I suggest finding a used one in good condition at a reasonable price.  Try searching eBay, Craig's List, Facebook Marketplace.  Post want ads in the Swap Meet areas here and on TrailerSailor.com, and other sailing-related websites, etc.  Also contact sail brokerages and sailboat recycling yards.  Start searching long before you need it; be patient and persistent.

It's my impression a whole lot more pop-top tents were purchased than ever saw hard use.  I got mine 'used' in absolutely pristine condition.

Good luck!

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Volksaholic
1st Mate

Members Avatar

55 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2021 :  10:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one that came with my '81 is virtually unused. I could see about making some patterns. Alternately, I was considering taking it to a local shop that builds sports and trade show gear and kick around ideas for putting in screened windows. I haven't had the boat on the water yet so I don't know how big a problem is it, but I've read that with the stock tent ventilation is not good. But I digress... I could ask them if they have an efficient way of making a pattern and what they'd charge for it, and maybe even get a quote on building one if you're interested. I'm sure with some suggestions from people who have experience with them there are opportunities for improving on the original.

Paul
'81 Catalina 25 FK/TR

Paul
1981 Catalina 25 TR/FK
Soon to be named either Fiddler's Dream or Fool's Errand depending on what it takes to get her into shape
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2021 :  15:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul: There are a lot of pop-top Cat25's out here, and rather few of those covers are still available or still usable. I'd love to have one, especially if your trade show fabricator could add some innovations. Please follow up on this; I'm sure there'd be more interest.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Volksaholic
1st Mate

Members Avatar

55 Posts

Response Posted - 03/29/2022 :  14:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI: I didn't forget about you.... or at least not completely. ;) I kept meaning to dig out the pop top cover to measure it. It wasn't where I thought I put it but rounded it up and put it in plain sight so I wouldn't forget. I finally pulled it out the other day and unfolded it. The tricky thing might be trying to get accurate measurements since it's 3 dimensional and I'm not sure anything is really perpendicular. I will still measure it and was going to caution you to use at your own risk but then I re-read that you said "from which a pattern could be attempted" so it looks like you recognize there may be some trial and error to get the angles right.

Paul
1981 Catalina 25 TR/FK
Soon to be named either Fiddler's Dream or Fool's Errand depending on what it takes to get her into shape
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/29/2022 :  16:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IIRC, it shouldn't be too difficult to make a pattern, maybe from something like paper grocery bags, if you can find them. If you raise the pop top, it's obvious where the front, back and side panels have to be.

The top panel is about the same dimensions of the pop top. The side panels go from the side of the pop top down to a line of snaps installed an inch or two above the windows. The back panel, which covers the companionway hatch, goes from the back of the pop top down all the way to the companionway step. The back panel is attached to snaps. The snaps are set in the teak uprights on either side of the hatch. There are also snaps set across the teak brows on either side of the companionway. A zipper in the back panel provides ingress and egress. The front panel goes from the front of the pop top down to a line of snaps set in the coach roof across the boat. I don't remember exactly where they're situated, but, when the pop top is raised, they must be approximately straight down from the front of the pop top.

Here are front and rear photos of a CD version. The front extends forward of the mast. I don't remember mine (1981) wrapping around the mast. The one shown might be for a Catalina Direct design, or maybe my memory failed me.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 03/29/2022 16:26:58
Go to Top of Page

waterbaby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
168 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2022 :  04:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like we have a pattern in our tips section - or at least some basic instructions.
https://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/tech/tech25/tt012.asp

1986 TR/SK #5250 Sunshine
Go to Top of Page

Volksaholic
1st Mate

Members Avatar

55 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2022 :  10:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@waterbaby; nice.... I won't measure unless someone wants confirmation.

@Steve Milby - you say it "shouldn't be too difficult" and I know you're right. For me, I build things out of a lot of different materials and feel at least someone proficient at sewing, but sewing is the one thing that always trips me up when I try to visualize measurements for seams, zippers, and the like. I'm sure I could screw it up, even with measurements! :D

Paul
1981 Catalina 25 TR/FK
Go to Top of Page

hlprmnky
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
38 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2022 :  05:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah! I updated my swap meet thread but forgot to update this one! I was able to source a pop top cover from a fellow Association member and will post photos somewhere as soon as I get commissioned and on the water for the season - probably a month or more away still thanks to Michigan weather.

1985 C25 SR/FK/Trad. “Puffin III” - #5040
Sailing Lake Michigan out of Michigan City, IN
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2022 :  11:07:00  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Re:  "I was able to source a pop top cover from a fellow Association member"

That's the best way to acquire one!

Re:  "sewing is the one thing that always trips me up when I try to visualize measurements for seams, zippers, and the like."

I recommend Don Casey's book, "Canvaswork and Sail Repair" on making your own boat canvas.  Although I don't recall him addressing pop-top tents, he goes into detail about measuring for, and sewing various types of seams.  There are Sailrite DIY videos on YouTube which demonstrate and explain hands on canvas work techniques for fabricating various boat canvas items, some quite ambitious.  Their hours of videos on making a Bimini convinced me to pay someone who knows what they're doing.

Re:  "paper grocery bags, if you can find them."

Here in east central Florida, Publix grocery stores have brown paper shopping bags under the counter if you ask.  I would imagine any meat department would have sturdy paper for wrapping meat cut to order.  Auto paint shops and suppliers have big rolls of 2' to 3' wide paper used for masking off windows, wheels, etc.

Re:  "...especially if your trade show fabricator could add some innovations."

I wish my Catalina 25 pop-top cover had windows in the front, and zip-out windows with bug screens.  Some might also want the option of privacy curtains.  The Catalina factory pop-top covers I have fit so tight, they would likely require modifications to accommodate aftermarket accessories they might press against.  (For example, I relocated the teak hand rails on my Catalina 22 from the coach roof to the pop-top.)

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Volksaholic
1st Mate

Members Avatar

55 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2022 :  06:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to check that book out... I love things like that. I agree, though, that sometimes it's preferable to let the experts take care of it. Sadly, the two "expert" resources I typically go to are no longer in that business.

Kirkham's Tent and Awning, an outdoor reseller and tent fabricator, closed down a few years ago. They've been one of my go-to sources for webbing, canvas, pack cloth, zippers, fittings, mosquito netting, etc since I was in high school... and that was a LONG time ago! I swung by

Wave Products, a local business that makes backpacks and other bags as well as a lot of commercial products, has apparently sold and will no longer do custom work or even advise on it. I've used them for custom sailbags for my mylar sailboard sails (yeah... like last century) as well as repairs. Oh well... as Jim Stafford said, "all good things come to an end, and that's the same with the wildwood weed." Some of that quote may not be relevant. ;)

WRT sources of pattern material; Costco. I regularly stock up on cardboard scraps for protecting the concrete when doing oil changes to patterns. I just snagged some heavy paper that would be perfect for a project like this from the paper towel pallets. It's thin enough to wrap with decent detail but thick enough that it doesn't tear or flop all over when you try to cut it. I also grabbed some that's a little stiffer but not corrugated that I like for making flat patterns for woodworking, metal work, and sewing projects.

I was going to talk to them about putting windows forward and screen/mesh with transparent flaps on the outside. The ability to hang curtains inside would be nice too... probably just go with some Velcro attached fabric for that. I'll have to check out that book while I snoop around for another local business to replace Kirkham's and Wave as my go-to for sewing projects that I'm not feeling up to tackling.

Paul
1981 Catalina 25 TR/FK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page