Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Electrical Upgrade
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/21/2021 :  20:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since we discussed changes and upgrades to the electrical system on our boats so thought I'd start a new thread since there may have been some new equipment available.

I want to update the electrical panel and wiring in my '89. Last time I tried to use my nav lights they were acting weird. Flip the switched on and it took 15 - 30 seconds for the lights to come on (at least the ones that did come on).

Any suggestions on what would cause this issue? Suggestions on makes/models of switch/fuse panels?

Also, I want to do something with my mast light connector. Tired of it causing problems. Any suggestions on how to route the wiring thru the deck to a connector inside the cabin? What type of connector to use? Location to go thru the deck?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2021 :  09:58:40  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
GaryB,

Re:  " Flip the switched on and it took 15 - 30 seconds for the lights to come on... Any suggestions on what would cause this issue?"

Sounds like burned and/or corroded contacts somewhere, maybe the switch or fuse holder.

Re:  "Suggestions on makes/models of switch/fuse panels?"

Personally, I'm not a big fan of fuses, especially on boats.  I prefer circuit breakers, which can be reset without replacing any ruined parts.  That can be particularly handy when dealing with a mysterious intermittent overload out on the water.

I've completely rewired several boats, including two Catalina sailboats.

On the C25 I installed a used motor yacht electrical panel found at a discount boat parts store, equipped with marine duty circuit breakers having toggle switches.  The aluminum panel came with round holes for the breaker/switches, LED indicators, and rectangular holes punched for backlit labels (which I will get around to adding any year now).

On the C22, I made my own electrical panel for 12V switches and circuit breakers using two layers of clear acrylic plastic with black paper sandwiched in between.  I then applied adhesive labels printed in white on clear to the 'rear' panel, and cut rectangular openings in the paper so the labels are visible through the 'front' panel.  I plan to eventually add dim red LED backlighting tied into the nav light circuit.  For switches, I found some inexpensive rocker switches online which mount in round holes (about 1/2" as I recall) and include little LEDs (available in several colors).  For circuit breakers, I used push-to-reset type which also mount in round holes (3/8" I think).  By separating switches and over-current protection, multiple switched circuits can share a common circuit breaker if desired.  Also, one can substitute fuse holders for circuit breakers if preferred.

On both boats, I located some switches and breakers closer to what they control for convenience, rather than keeping all of them at the main electrical panel.

Re:  "Any suggestions on how to route the wiring thru the deck to a connector inside the cabin?  What type of connector to use?"

After replacing a few on-deck electrical connectors of various types on the C25, I switched to marine cable pass through glands for mast wiring:

I still have an above deck connector for mast lights on the more trailerable C22, which needs replacing because it broke again.

I connect the above deck wiring to the rest of the electrical system below deck using screw terminal strips (or mating coax connectors for antennas) located in the head compartment near the top of the mast compression post.

For more permanent thru-deck wiring such as solar panels, I use little 'hood scoops' packed with silicone sealant:

I coat all holes in the deck with epoxy to seal the core, preventing any leaks from causing rot.

Re:  "Location to go thru the deck?"

Preferably where they won't pose a hazard to feet, and won't snag jib sheets, etc.  Also if you have, or plan to add solar panels or pop-top tent, etc., then avoid those areas too.  I ended up putting mast wiring holes side by side near the centerline a few inches fwd of the mast step.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2021 :  17:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like your switches have a little corrosion internally. If you want a quick fix put a few drops of WD-40 on the backsides of each of the switches. You want the WD-40 to get inside the switch then work the switch on and off around 10-20 times. This usually cleans them up and gets them working and also protects them from the wet marine environment. I do this to my switches at the beginning of the season.
Leon, Great idea for using a clam shell and silicone to pass a wire through. You could step on that all day and not hurt it.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page