Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Flex-Seal Paste
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/11/2021 :  15:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone thought about using Flex-seal Paste to make gaskets to go under things like the handrails on the cabin top rather than use butyl tape?

Thought if a person made a small mold you could fill with the paste, let it dry, pop out, then make more gaskets.

Also, not sure how it would hold up to UV over time.

Thoughts?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 07/11/2021 15:41:13

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2021 :  20:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opinion: "Gaskets" aren't like bedding compound--they aren't adhered to the surfaces above and below them, thus, especially on nonskid, will not seal as well. We're not dealing with machined metal surfaces... As I understand it, butyl tape is sort of in the middle--conforms but isn't adhesive... I've never used it--I'm a Life Caulk and Life Seal guy--I tighten gently, let it set up, and then tighten just a little more (from the bottom, to avoid turning the bolt). Also, I champfer the tops of the holes a little (oversize bit turning in reverse) so more sealant is around the bolt. I have no evidence whether that helped or not.

YMMV.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/11/2021 20:30:43
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2021 :  15:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see your point and it is valid.

My thought was for the handrails anyway, the mounting surface is smooth so tightening the "gasket" down firmly would seal out the water much like a gasket on a car engine. Like the gasket on a car water pump.

It was just a thought. :)

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2021 :  17:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be useful to back up a compass mounted on the cockpit bulkhead or for any instrumentation mounted there. I used polysulfide to bed the depth gauge housing and now I’m noticing crazing in the material. It gets a lot of sun right there.It doesn’t leak yet but you never know.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2021 :  13:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce: Polysulfide is considered incompatible with most plastics. I use Life Seal for bedding plastic--it's a polyurethane-silicone formula that adheres well but is removable without taking gelcoat with it or leaving a silicone residue. (I think it's a little less adhesive than 3M 4200.)

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2021 :  19:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right. The compass has a rubber gasket that’s still fine after all these years. The depth gauge body on Passage is made of aluminum, and that’s bedded onto the cockpit bulkhead with polysulfide. I believe that if I needed another gasket, I’d probably either use some butyl tape or maybe some cork sheet (if that’s still a thing).

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2021 :  20:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cork is permeable... works inside wine bottles when sealed on top with wax, lead, or plastic. It might prevent water from rushing into a deck into a cabin or hull, but not necessarily from seeping into deck or cabin core.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2021 :  07:33:47  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having worked with butyl tape recently, that stuff is definitely adhesive!  Like bubblegum on a hot sidewalk.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page