Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Outboard Engine Maintenance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/04/2021 :  13:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First things first. I’m absolutely dependent upon my outboard engine, even just going in and out of the slip, in and out of the harbor. If it were to quit coming in through the buoys or near the breakwall, I’d be in a world of hurt either up on the rocks or awash on the sandbar. Or coming into my slip, crash!!! Sure, I could probable pole it in.

So this spring during my commissioning I wanted to make the engine was still fit. I checked the spark plugs, impeller flow, oil level and I sprayed out the carburetor to be sure the engine would start and run. At almost 20 years old, I can’t tell you how many hours it has on it. But it runs strong, doesn’t burn oil and starts on the first pull.

So the other day I noticed the cooling water spray had dwindled to a trickle at idle and it was not very strong at running speed. I wondered what was going on, was it the impeller or something else?
Then, the other day was raining hard when I came to the boat and I noticed that tell-tale sheen on the water. What-the-heck? Did I need to finally break down and buy a new engine?

So I tried the old stick a wire up the water port to see if there’s something stuck in it. Well, all-of-a-sudden the water came gushing out of the port. Nothing wrong with that I’d say …

Then I noticed the oil drain plug on the side of the engine. There’s a little ring around it and I noticed a drop of oil on the rim. Could be a leak? I used my oil pump gizmo to empty the oil sump, then removed the drain plug and I noticed that the O-ring was smushed. Apparently that was the culprit because after I replaced it, no more leaks.

I’m very glad that they were both minor problems and easy to set right.

Still and all, I’ve got to take a hard look at the engine this fall, and perhaps replace my engine before too long. I don’t want to get caught out there without a reliable engine.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2021 :  15:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also noticed that Defender has a sale this week on engines. A pretty good Tohatsu extra long shaft 9.9 with electric start for around $2650. Or a basic extra long shaft pull-start 9.9 for $2300-ish

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2021 :  21:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little old Suzuki 8HP is 32 years old and still starts and runs well even if it's been sitting for a while. Being 2 cycle it just seems to keep plugging away (of course now that I've said this it will probably let me down).

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2021 :  13:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go ahead with that "hard look", I'll suggest removing the head so you can see a fair amount of the internal water passages. I've had at least one, possibly two experiences with the "pisser" being glogged by bits of internal corrosion. Regardless of the operating hours, salt and moisture tend to live in there continuously until you do a proper flush (and even after flushing for some baked-in salt).

You should also check the internal annode--I learned (too late) that my '07 Honda 225 had (past tense) two--the mechanics where I store didn't know about them either. Apparently they were under the exhaust manifold. After 14 seasons they were gone. They were only mentioned in the shop manual--nowhere in the Owners Manual maintenance schedule. Sad ending... The replacement motor cost about the same as a brand new Honda Civic. Here's a forum discussion regarding the Honda 9.9 (same motor as your 8).

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/05/2021 14:02:56
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2021 :  11:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary, I’ve got a 1976 3HP British Seagull - 40Plus. It’s a two stroke that requires very little care other than cleaning the carburetor and replacing the oil in the bottom unit every few years. First or second pull.

Hmmm, Dave - the Honda is quite a bit more complicated than my old 2 stroke - electric start, alternator, thermostat housing, gears and bearings, spark plug coil, two cylinders …
And loads of stuff up inside the engine like cams, push rods, bearings, water jacket, internal anode,etc. I’ve replaced the external anodes once, but that doesn’t help the inside one. I could do a complete overhaul or I could sell it for $1100-1200 next spring and purchase a new engine.

A friend of mine decided that he’s never messing with outboard engines again, he’ll buy a new one every three years and sell his old one to partially reimburse the purchase. That’s not a bad idea: to “rent” instead of buy.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 07/06/2021 17:00:06
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2021 :  19:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While we were bringing our “new” Passage home in 1999, ( a three day adventure), a cooling hose in the 198x Honda let go and sprayed everything inside the cowl with salt water. After a few related problems, I “traded” it in on the 2003 motor you now have, and was happy with the outcome—a much better motor in so many ways. The dealer sold the old one for me for $1100. After 18 years, I’d be reluctant to argue against another “update” for such a critical component. You should get a nicer number than I did.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page