Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Life Line
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/28/2021 :  07:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone
I'm in need of the cockpit lifeline on the port side, it need to be an eyelet on both ends (5/16 or 3/8) hole and 52" eyelet to eyelet.
Does anyone know of a place that makes these up? I see kits available using swagless connectors but I'd much prefer the std swagged type.
Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2021 :  08:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never looked for someone to do that job, but expect any sailboat rigger would have the materials and equipment to do that job. If you'll google "rhode island sailboat riggers", you'll find several in your area.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2021 :  10:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll give that a shot, thanks Steve.

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2021 :  17:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan, please post if you get a good rigger. My lifelines have seen better days as well… I have a Pelican Clip on one side, it’s very handy.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2021 :  13:37:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe you can purchase a kit from Catalina Direct and maybe able to do it yourself. I had mine replaced several years ago by the rigger at the yard I keep my boat. It was not cheap, but far less than I had expected and well worth it. My guess is any boat yard could replace lifelines with or without a CD kit.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2021 :  05:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JanS48

Hi everyone
I'm in need of the cockpit lifeline on the port side, it need to be an eyelet on both ends (5/16 or 3/8) hole and 52" eyelet to eyelet.
Does anyone know of a place that makes these up? I see kits available using swagless connectors but I'd much prefer the std swagged type.
Thanks
Jan

You guys should really consider making them yourself with dyneema Amsteel. I did mine with this and never looked back! It was super easy to splice, cheaper, lightweight, doesn't rust, and looks great! I've had mine on for 10yrs now and don't believe it needs any attending.

If you decide to go with it and need help just let me know.

1989 C-25 TR/WK #5894
Miss Behavin'
Sittin' in LCYC on Canyon Lake, Texas

Edited by - NautiC25 on 06/07/2021 05:57:56
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2021 :  13:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jonathan, using the Amsteel line, is the material stiff like stainless steel wire rope or loose like line? I rely on my lifeline being springy and stiff so when it’s disconnected it doesn’t drop down into the water.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2021 :  06:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Jonathan, using the Amsteel line, is the material stiff like stainless steel wire rope or loose like line? I rely on my lifeline being springy and stiff so when it’s disconnected it doesn’t drop down into the water.

It's loose like a rope. However, I pull tension on it down the stanchions, full length of the boat, up to the first gate stanchion where it's tied up. The gate line itself is also hooked up tight, but yes, it will just fall "limp" when unhooked. I'm not sure how it's much different than wire though?

1989 C-25 TR/WK #5894
Miss Behavin'
Sittin' in LCYC on Canyon Lake, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2021 :  09:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While my personal preference is to stay with SS cables for the lifelines elsewhere, I've been considering replacing the sections at the gates with Amsteel specifically because it would be more "limp" than SS. When I unhook my current SS gate cable and let it lie on the cockpit bench, it droops partially across the opening between the stanchions and presents a tripping hazard (I've caught the one on the dock side several times with a foot). An Amsteel line would droop vertically down from the stanchion. Even if part of it falls over the outside of the combing, the weight of the pelican hook would keep the loose end inside the cockpit. By the way, C.S. Johnson has a whole line of fittings for Amsteel lifelines. They're generally offered by chandleries in the hard-anodized aluminum version, but they are also manufactured in 316SS.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2021 :  15:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other thought -- there are marine salvage companies that may have the right length from a parted out C-25 or similar boat. There is one in Boston I have used for some parts, am sure near Newport there may be one as well. Ask local boat yards.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2021 :  08:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For folks in CT and RI, there are two salvage shops worthy of note:
• Mystic Nautical Marine. http://mysticnautical.net/
• Marine Consignment of Wickford Here’s a YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkdB07NVQjY
Both locations are listed on Google if you need directions or want a “tour”
And they might even have lifelines

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page