Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Launched again for the season
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/17/2021 :  07:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took a lot of work and planning but Passage was splashed on Friday, just after the hull was cleaned and polished and bottom paint applied strategically. May 14th is LATE for me but she needed a complete cleaning from bow to stern and top to bottom.
Last year I got out in mid-April early in the pandemic pandemonium because I was not sure whether the state was going to close marinas as a safety precaution, or keep them open as an essential service.
I have a 7-mile trip from Shelton’s Housatonic River marina winter storage to Milford harbor for summer. The trip is mostly in the sheltered waters of the tidal river, but with a 3-mile passage in Long Island Sound things can get very dicey in an early spring blow.
Saturday’s weather was ideal: sunny, 70°s, SW winds at 5-8 mph.
I had drained the engine of gas & oil last fall and rinsed the cooling system and lower components with fresh water. I refilled the oil and bottom unit and sprayed out the carb with cleaner. I never test start the engine dry to preserve the impeller as long as possible. This year l did not bucket test the engine before launch as l usually do each spring.
Once l got her splashed, that was first order of business. I had cleaned out the fuel water separator and the gas tank and line last fall. With fresh gas l had to pump the bulb for a very — long — time…I think it’s about time for a new gas bulb and line.
Finally after about 20 mins the fuel water separator was refilled and gas was finally getting to the carburetor. With the engine in the the water, l pulled, l pulled, then again and it started. Funny, it starts at idle so l barely noticed it running, but there it was making the stream and the bubbles in the water — purring like a kitten.
Next morning on Saturday, sun was shining and the tide was rising. We had a 4-mile trip ahead down river under several bridges, one tall bridge and two drawbridges: the New Haven Railroad and the US route 1 bridge. We have to arrange for a bridge opening on the RR at least 48hours in advance since it’s a 5-person job to open the 110+ year old working antiquity.. While we were scheduled for a 1:30 PM opening, it was more like 2:00PM when we made it through.
Once through the bridges, it’s a little more travel down to the mouth of the river into Long Island Sound, then turn the corner for another 3 miles to Milford and the harbor.
The engine ran like a top the whole way. With waiting time and preps, the trip takes about 4-5 hours.
We finally made it into our slip at the Boatworks and found that we have some new neighbors. Our new slipmate is a retired police officer who just beat cancer (bravo!) and there are several new boats around. Some old friends are still there while some are gone, so this summer is looking to be another great set of adventures. I’m looking forward to what the new season has in store.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

wm36
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2021 :  19:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

We are late launching also. We went to the boat ramp 4 weeks ago intending to launch our 250. I had added some brackets to the mast step in order to eventually (this season) add some turning blocks and start running lines to the cockpit. I thought I had measured everything carefully, but as I was raising the mast with the gin pole we heard a BANG! Turned out there wasn't quite enough room for the mast foot and the new machine screw heads inside the mast step so something had to give. The mast foot broke off its supporting ears and wouldn't fit into the step. So it all came back down again, tied it all back down and brought it back to the driveway.

I have since redone the mounting screws for the brackets with countersunk screws and had a friend weld the aluminum ears back on to the mast foot. Learned how to set a rivet and the mast is now repaired. Since so much time has elapsed I have received the rest of my turning blocks, deck organizer, and rope clutch, so I am going to mount all that (hopefully) this week and get her in the water. I visited our marina on foot last week and, like Bruce, found some familiar faces and a few new ones. My wife is now recovering from back surgery so I will be learning how to single hand this season and hopefully the boat and I will both survive.

Wayne & Lynn
Hillsboro OR
1995 C250 WB #151
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2021 :  06:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
we heard a BANG

I too have a delayed start due to the unexpected BANG. I was supposed to splash on Monday the 10th. Went to the boat the day before to hang the motor and rudder. These were the last two things that had to be done and since I had a motor stolen from the back of the boat a few years ago I now wait to the very last day to put it on. (very paranoid). I was standing on the motor mount to get it into the lowest position when the BANG happened. One of the springs had broken. Well it was an original 2 springer so I guess metal fatigue? Went home totally bummed. I immediately ordered a new 3 springer from CD but that wont get here until Thursday the 20th Then I have to install it. then hang the motor so maybe by Monday the 24th I'll get splashed. Good to hear your in without any problems Bruce.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2021 :  09:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce:

Glad you got in even if later than hoped. I had planned this year to finally be in early. I too felt a BANG however it was my shoulder in January which resulted in my having just had rotator cuff surgery. It looks like this season instead will be one of the latest for launching! And once in sailing will be an adventure. I guess I can only tack one direction until fully healed so if you see someone out there going around in circles - LOL

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2021 :  10:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh look, There goes Peter...Oh look, There goes Peter...Oh look, There goes Peter....Sorry Peter I couldn't resist but I am sorry to here about the surgery and hope you heal fast.

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2021 :  11:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott no problem. That's what people usually say when seeing me sail, only they are shaking their head in amused disbelief. My goal is to be able to single hand sometime during August -- time will tell.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2021 :  15:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott — Sorry to hear about your engine mount. Sometimes it’s the craziest things that go wrong. My gas line bulb was just not working so I had to replace it on Friday night. That could’ve stopped me cold, but we have a West Marine that’s open until 6:00 so I was able to get one.

Peter, hope you get better soon.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 05/19/2021 06:04:34
Go to Top of Page

wm36
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2021 :  19:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Oh look, There goes Peter...Oh look, There goes Peter...Oh look, There goes Peter....

Haha thanks for a good laugh (at Peter's expense) for today!

Wayne & Lynn
Hillsboro OR
1995 C250 WB #151
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2021 :  06:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I look at it on the plus side It could have broke right after the boat was launched or on the first few sails then I would have paid to have the boat hauled out and re-launched to fix it. Another plus is that I now will have a proper mount for the engine weight. There's a little good in everything.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2021 :  12:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I got the new 3 springer mount and installed it along with my 9.8 Tohatsu. I will say this that this mount is a dream come true. Up and down like it's a feather.Why I didn't do this before is beyond me.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2021 :  19:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! It sounds like a very good thing. Glad it made you take the next step.
Have you ever walked around for awhile with a small pebble in your shoe? You know you ought to stop, kneel down, take your shoe off, then shake it out on the ground. But you don’t.
That’s why.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page