Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Outboard issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Greemo
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/06/2024 :  19:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone:

We came back from vacation and the outboard didn’t start (it did turn over.) I changed the spark plugs (they were ancient and in bad shape.) It starts now, but it’s not holding idle, and as I throttle up, there is a dead spot, where it cuts out. If I go past it quickly it’s not a problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kostis and Christina
Sparrow
Santa Barbara, CA

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2024 :  22:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of outboard is it? Is it a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? Is the gasoline new or old? Water in the fuel line? Fuel filter new or old? Have you tried any carburetor cleaner in the jets? Do you know whether the fuel line has any leaks in it? Does it use a coil with points and a distributor cap? Can you adjust the dwell and timing? Or is it an electronic ignition? Is the throttle linkage tight or sloppy? Is it blowing any color smoke? Black, white, or blue? Black is bad ignition, white is a cracked block, and blue is bad valve lifters or bad piston rings.
A fussy engine can be caused by a lot of different problems. Might be good to fix what can be fixed, and see how things go.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5880 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2024 :  06:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Usually, if an engine won't idle, the cause is a clogged idle jet in the carburetor. Ethanol in gasoline has caused an epidemic of clogged carburetors in small engines. If a small engine won't be used for awhile, any ethanol gasoline should be drained or run out of it. I only use ethanol free gas in all my small motors and in my antique cars and never have clogged carburetors, even though they are stored for long periods. If ethanol free gas is sold in your area, you can find the locations at this website. https://www.pure-gas.org/

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

slacker
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2024 :  10:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went through a similar situation with my 8 hp Honda. I had to pull the motor while it was on the water in its slip (I put it in with stern first) then at my shop changed the oil because I had flooded it and replaced the plug and fuel filter . They looked clean last winter so I left them, smart. When I put it back on the boat and took it out it ran great for several trips then started acting up again. Not wanting to go through pulling the motor I bought some fuel additive that was supposed to clean the little ports in the carb and switched out to new fuel of course alcohol free. I also have been running it at high rpms briefly. So far so good

Paul Schupbach
Go to Top of Page

Little Wind
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
18 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2024 :  05:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you don't say what kind of outboard you have, my advice applies to carbureted models.
Always, always, always run the outboard out of gas after each use. This is easily done in a few minutes by disconnecting the supply line to the outboard and just letting the OB run until it dies. Gas will no longer be in the carb float bowl to gum up and/or leave residue. You engine will start with no problem next time you are ready by simply pumping up the supply line as done normally.

Since you already have an issue, you can do a few things (these may work or they may not): you can load up your fuel tank with a carb/fuel injector cleaning agent and run it through the outboard for the next few tankfuls; you can haul your OB and take to a shop to remove and clean your carb and do a general tune-up; you can haul your OB and do the work yourself. I paid for the service one time and then I bought a stand and did it myself since then. You just need a book, some good advice, a few tools, and some self-confidence.
After my Honda 9.9 w/carb was stolen off my boat, I bought a fuel injected OB to help alleviate the carb gumming issues.

Oh yeah... and find some ethanol free gas to use as others have stated. It costs more but will make up the extra cost with less maintenance. I have WaWa stations nearby that offer ethanol free.

Good luck!

Mark
Little Wind
1996 C250WB #206

Edited by - Little Wind on 09/09/2024 05:46:55
Go to Top of Page

Greemo
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2024 :  07:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much, everyone. I have a Yamaha 8HP 4 stroke. I believe it is original to the boat, and I doubt much has ever been done to it. I’ll report back.

Kostis and Christina
Sparrow
Santa Barbara, CA
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page