Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Clogged telltale
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

1520 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/29/2024 :  11:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a Tohatsu 9.9hp motor for 3 years now, and I flush the brackish water out of the engine block and impeller with fresh water each time I go out. The telltale flow became reduced this spring. I stuck a sturdy wire an inch or so into the hole to discover it's blocked and cannot be cleared using a wire like that. I surmise that after the telltale tip got blocked, other debris collected behind it.

Could I get access to that tubing, remove it, and clear it out? It's way down in the motor.

Could I ream out the tubing by inserting and rotating a bent wire or the tip of a steel needle?

Air pressure? Push it backwards with water pressure?

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5296 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2024 :  15:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When was the last time you replaced your impeller? That’s the heart of the waterpump keeping your outboard engine cool and flushed with seawater as you motor around.

You’re right, you might just have a clogged water outlet (telltale), you could have something stuck in the engine flush fitting, or the impeller might have failed. Any way you slice it you do not have any water pumping through the block while you’re running. This will make your engine overheat. That could be fatal for the engine.

I wouldn’t run it until I got to the bottom of the problem.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5296 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2024 :  17:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might find a replacement from your local marine parts house, or from a website like Boats.net

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page