Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Cabin dome lights.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Greemo
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
10 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/19/2024 :  12:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all:

The round dome light covers over the table are rusty and nasty. Catalina Direct only has bronze color, and they are ridiculously expensive. Has anyone found a creative solution with this?

Thanks,

Kostis
Santa Barbara

Kostis and Christina
Sparrow
Santa Barbara, CA

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5296 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2024 :  20:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dome lights for your cabin don’t need to be costly. It depends on your style and brightness requirements really.

My all-time favorite cabin dome light replacements are Dr LED Mars dome light. It has a metallic looking bezel/body, a built-in on/off switch, and fits the old space pretty well. It’s round rather than square, but it’s approximately the same size. Not totally inexpensive, you can see them on Defender’s website, or other boaty websites. Beware if you have any water that can find it’s way into the light. This might have done in your old lights. But, keep them dry and you’ll be fine.

Another option is to search for “RV 12VDC dome light”, you will find dozens of lights you can buy. But! Watch out for quality - read the ratings carefully!! Some may sound too good to true. They are.

Also, check the Lumens ratings. More lumens is better. 350-400 Lumens should be fine. They should produce approximately 45W of equivalent incandescent light for about 3.5-4W of LED power.

If you’re not worried about 12VDC power consumption, you can still buy 25W incandescent fixtures too.

Often, RV dome lights DO NOT have built-in on/off switches. You’d have to add an in-line switch at the panel or next to the fixture.

A final option. You can go to home centers and department stores and purchase small battery-powered LED bar lights. These generally require 8 AA batteries, which is 12V. They are pretty bright and easy to mount. But, I don’t like AA batteries, unless they’re rechargeable NiMH or LiFePO3. If, however, you’re handy with a soldering iron, you can wire them up with red and black #18 or #20 AWG stranded wire and connect them in place of your old fixtures.

I added one in the quarterberth area and it’s transformational. I also installed one in my car’s trunk. Works great.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 05/19/2024 20:46:52
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
81 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2024 :  15:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

I replaced mine with these LED dimmable lights and they've been great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q1BWLTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

boeray 3.7" / 95mm Dish Led Dimmable Recessed Ceiling Super Slim Light with Touch Button 12 Volt DC for RV Caravan Boat Cabin Kitchen, 3000K Warm White, 200lm,IP67 Waterproof

2004 250WB #781

Edited by - k3fuller on 05/21/2024 15:12:07
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5296 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2024 :  21:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! That looks like a really nice light fixture. Flat, bright and dimmable. How did you install it, as a surface mount? How did you run the wiring? It says the fixture is controlled by touch, so is there no on/off switch? And is each one individually controlled?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4289 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2024 :  22:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Wow! That looks like a really nice light fixture. Flat, bright and dimmable. How did you install it, as a surface mount? How did you run the wiring? It says the fixture is controlled by touch, so is there no on/off switch? And is each one individually controlled?

Looking at the images in the link above it appears you press the little button on the edge of the lens to turn it on to 100%. The next 3 presses reduce it down in steps to as low as 10%. Final press turns the fixture off. Appears each fixture is controlled separately.

I wonder if one could wire several together with a dimmer switch inline? If so, guessing you'd turn all fixtures on to brightest setting and use the dimmer to control the brightness?

Just a guess on my part.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 05/21/2024 22:53:41
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
81 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2024 :  07:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, yes you got it right as to how it works. Wiring was simple, just connect to the existing wires from the old light. Here's how it looks in the cabin compared to the original light.

Go to Top of Page

Little Wind
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2024 :  13:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My interior dome lights are also rusted and corroded. I believe water intrusion through the mast light wiring was the culprit although I haven't got in there very much yet. I was able to buy a couple NOS lights from the Catalina Yachts store nearby to replace my originals with. Honestly, heavy plastic housings with an LED bulb seems like a better solution.

Mark

Mark
Little Wind
1996 C250WB #206
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page