Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 tender motoring.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cwstrang
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/10/2012 :  19:46:24  Show Profile
Guys:
Greetings from St Helens.
Today my son and I took out our 7' tender with a 2.5 suzuki attached. Tender doesn;t have a solid stern just a wooden motor mount that is lashed in place. When I gave the engin some throttle the motor pulled back and under the tender. It was uncomfortable. Is this expected, my son and I thought maybe we haven't inflated the tender enough. Any ideas?? Thanks, Craig

Edited by - on

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2012 :  19:50:49  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
The boat should have a plate on it somewhere specifying the total load and horsepower limits. I wouldn't think 2.5 HP would be too much for the boat, but the plate should tell you.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cwstrang
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2012 :  20:32:24  Show Profile
Yes it has a limit of 3.0hp. The motor mount is solid wood and lashed to the stern tube.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2012 :  20:37:36  Show Profile

We nearly bought an inflatable without a rigid stern until we realized, just in time, that without proper inflation the stern with full throttle of even a 2 hp motor will/may make the stern "pucker".

Since water temp. sunlight, wind, and temperature will have and influence on the pressure of the tubes it will continue to be an issue. Never mind a leak while underway or away from any service... potentially dunking the motor.

The only solution IMHO would be to fabricate & somehow install a rigid device that will spread the point load over a greater area of the tubes

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2012 :  06:03:38  Show Profile
In addition to adding more air to the dink, you may need to adjust the outboard. Most small motors have some adjust-ability as to the angle of the motor. You may need to compensate for the lower than normal angle by tilting the outboard more outward/upward to begin with.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page