Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 CDI furler line siaze
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hinmo
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
248 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/13/2009 :  07:19:39  Show Profile
During my brief ownership, I noticed the rolling furler line size was wrong. I have the stock CDI roller furler on my 1983 Cat25. Does anyone know the length and diameter of the line used on these.

(the replacement that is on there is oversized and jams easily)

thanks

"Kukla" '83 FK,SR

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2009 :  07:44:41  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
John, the cdi furler is different between the C25 and the C250, you might ask there.

On our C250 (2005) we have the CDI furler and the line pretty well fills the drum when the 110% sail is fully furled. We purchased a 150% sail (used) and I was worried that there would not be enough room on the drum for the extra line required to furl the bigger sail. I called CDI and they suggested that I withdraw some of the inner core of the furler line, I suggest that you call CDI directly, they are very helpful folks, they called me back the same day.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NUTHRTOY
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2009 :  09:38:21  Show Profile
It depends on which size furler you have. Here is a link to the CDI website which should answer all you questions about CDI furlers.

Best Regards, Carl 250WB #75 Nuthrtoy

http://www.sailcdi.com/sailpdf/FF4&6%20manual%207_06.pdf

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3403 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2009 :  17:36:04  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
According to the above link - Here's what CDI says is applicable for the CDI Flexible Furler 4/6:

"Furling Line 1/4" braid on braid dacron. If you prefer a
larger diameter, you should de-core the
portion of line forward in the cockpit.
(Otherwise the larger line won’t fit onto the
furling drum.)"

I believe that is the line size I used when I replaced the line for furling my 150 Genoa. I will have to check the line size when I go back to the boat which should be tomorrow or Thursday.

Edited by - OLarryR on 01/13/2009 17:45:06
Go to Top of Page

hinmo
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
248 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2009 :  17:55:44  Show Profile
Thanks - I apologize for cross posting on the 250 column, but it seems the responses are pertinent

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NUTHRTOY
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2009 :  11:47:25  Show Profile
After thinking about this subject awhile, I reviewed the information again. <u>Be sure </u> to check which furler you have. If it is the next size smaller FF2,or possibly FF1, these use a 3/16 dacron line.
About 10 years ago I purchased 1/4" replacement line which was too large. I believe the correct size will turn out to be 3/16, sorry. Check the CDI manual listed in the Manuals & Brochures to the left of the forum. It is a copy of an early (pre'06)manual.

Best Regards, Carl,C250#75 Nuthrtoy

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3403 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2009 :  19:02:07  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I was down to my boat today and checked the furling line size and what my CDI Pamplet indicated. My line is 1/4" and it worked for me with a 150 Genoa. The manual I have from PO is a July '94 CDI 4/6 Manual. The specs indicate 1/4" furling line but the write-up in the section covering the furling drum/furling line install states a 1/4" or smaller line is recommended.
My thought is that if you want to ensure you can get enough line on the drum for a 150 Genoa and are hesitant to go with the 1/4" line, you could go down one size. That should be fine. Only negative is that sometimes when the wind is blowing and you have to take the 150 Genoa in, best to wear gloves and especially with a smaller line. Otherwise, it is likely to do a number on your hand. As far as strength, the lines these days are probably stronger than lines made years ago. The lines are more high tech these days unless you go the extremely cheapy route. Even so, the line is probably going to be strong enough even if a size smaller than 1/4".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page