Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Wax for the topsides and cockpit

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SKS Posted - 08/02/2022 : 10:11:51
What's a good wax for the topsides and cockpit?
I know putting wax on the topsides seems counter-intuitive. I don't want the top to be too slippery.
I have a 1986 boat that I just pressure washed, so it's spotless.
All the chalk is gone from the surface.
The gel coat has become porous over the years and I want to seal it off before it gets dirty again.
I've read where PoliSeal isn't good for topsides.
I've tried teh search function, but I'm not getting any useful posts.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 08/04/2022 : 07:12:53
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Well golly! Who’d a thunk it? Starbrite uses a UV protectant called PTEF, NOT Teflon — wikipedia on Teflon — in their deck cleaner. Learn something new every day....

Ya, I've tried to determine the difference between polytetraethylflourine (PTEF) and polyptetraflouriethylene (PTFE), with no success. Sarbrite claims a registered trademark on "PTEF" while Teflon (PTFE) is a trademark of a spin-off from Dupont. The lack of information made me suspect Starbrite was just working around Dupont's trademark... Starbrite puts their version in all sorts of stuff including things they rebrand for West Marine. It's in their Premium Marine Polish, which is the best I've used on my hull so far. (They haven't paid me to say that... yet! )
Voyager Posted - 08/03/2022 : 10:54:01
Well golly! Who’d a thunk it? Starbrite uses a UV protectant called PTEF, NOT Teflon — wikipedia on Teflon — in their deck cleaner. Learn something new every day.

Nonetheless, my boat slip neighbor is a cleaning machine. He owns an older model Northcoast stinkpot that just shines! His bow deck gelcoat literally has a high gloss. No shoes allowed!

Of course my other side neighbor is quite the opposite with his 20ft runabout.

I’m in the middle — I like a clean boat but I’m not fanatical about it.

That’s the great thing about boating - it takes all kinds.
OLarryR Posted - 08/02/2022 : 22:05:43
For the deck which mostly has the non-skid surfaces, I utilize Starbrite Non-skid cleaner for similar reasons/details as Dave stated.

For the cockpit areas that are textured, I mostly use the Starbrite Non-skid cleaner. For the cockpit and companionway smooth surfaces, I initially use a polish wax or if need be, 3M Oxidation cleaner and wax. Then I use 3M Pure Wax. I find that I can usually get away with only having to apply the 3M Pure Wax if I re-apply timely, ~ every 2 months. In between, applications, I may wash the boat or use Starbrite Black Streak Cleaner now and then. Doing this for many years using primarily the Pure Wax, I only sparingly have a need to use the Oxidation cleaner/wax but tend to use the Polish/Wax more so....perhaps once a year over most cockpit surfaces. Using these products, I do not do significant buffing. I generally apply and buff clean by hand.

Hull sides - Polyglow every 1 - 1 1/2 years.
Stinkpotter Posted - 08/02/2022 : 20:23:49
I clean my decks and cockpit with Star Brite Non-skid Deck Cleaner, which leaves a light film of PTEF (otherwise known as PTFE) that is briefly slippery, but not after it dries. It seems to keep chalking in check when used periodically (like twice a year here in CT). The container can be hard to hold onto when wet cleaner gets on the outside. My cabin sides aren't exactly shiny, but they're clean and bright. It's a boat after all--not a Ferrari. ...or it's a sailboat, not a Sea Ray. As Steve alludes, sailboats need workable decks--Sea Rays, neh!
Voyager Posted - 08/02/2022 : 19:27:45
It sounds pretty easy. I have a boat cleaner with TPFE in it (aka Teflon) which I believe is slick.
SKS Posted - 08/02/2022 : 16:18:45
I found this. I'll give it a try

https://mckees37.com/collections/nautical-one-marine-care/products/nautical-one-non-skid-sealer-protectant
Steve Milby Posted - 08/02/2022 : 11:00:29
I wax the hull but have never waxed the decks or cockpits of any of my boats. It's much too dangerous.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page