Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Anchor Locker Gasket

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Peregrine Posted - 05/18/2023 : 16:48:09
Has anyone replaced the gasket on the anchor locker cover?
Is there a hardware store product I can use?
Oh BTW Did you know the drain hole can get clogged up and the locker can fill with water over the winter?
Many thanks.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/23/2024 : 10:10:43
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Wow, Is there suppose to be a gasket? My boat never had a gasket for as long as I have owned it. Rain water just drains out the tube in the bottom so I never saw a need for a gasket.

Belt and suspenders... A gasket is highly unlikely to work perfectly, which is why there's a drain (and not a gasket, from my recollection).
Steve Milby Posted - 03/22/2024 : 09:41:43
A few pipe cleaners kept in a drawer are useful for cleaning out a clogged telltale (pisser) on your outboard motor and to clean out the bow drain hole.
PZell Posted - 03/22/2024 : 09:21:58
Gasket material that can be used on all hatches is available at Catalina Direct.
Leon Sisson Posted - 05/23/2023 : 06:36:28
Re:  "Has anyone replaced the gasket on the anchor locker cover?"

I'm not sure there ever was a Catalina 25 anchor locker gasket from the factory.  One thing to consider if installing a gasket is trapped humidity and resulting mold, rust, etc.

Re:  "Did you know the drain hole can get clogged up and the locker can fill with water over the winter?"

Like several other C25 owners, I enlarged the drain tube to a size less likely to get clogged.  If there's water in the anchor locker when the boat heels, the water can slosh out and run down into the V-berth.

On my boat I also sealed the edges of the anchor locker floor pan to the hull using fiberglass cloth and epoxy.  I built up plywood and epoxy housings around the whale eye lights to protect them from seawater, anchor chain, etc, with cheap Beckson-style access covers to access the bulbs and sockets.  I added a layer of woven roving to reinforce the locker floor pan, and a layer or two of fiberglass cloth to the underside of the lid, and installed a stainless steel latch while I was at it.

I cut a wide notch in the fwd edge of the lid and lip supporting it to allow it close completely without catching on anchor chains.

I then built an adjustable divider to keep two anchor rodes separated.
islander Posted - 05/19/2023 : 08:20:57
Wow, Is there suppose to be a gasket? My boat never had a gasket for as long as I have owned it. Rain water just drains out the tube in the bottom so I never saw a need for a gasket.
bigelowp Posted - 05/18/2023 : 18:56:05
John,

Yes, the drain gets clogged so use wilkie stick type thing to clean drain. As far as gasket, Catalina Direct used to have a loan "gasket" that could be cut to shape and had one side that was adhesive. It should work, but may be needed to replace periodically.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page