Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Rebedding Plastic Clutch and Winch

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
redeye Posted - 03/03/2023 : 13:23:31
I have "plastic" winches and clutches on the cabin top and slightly remember being advised NOT to use a polysulfide product to bed these.

What would you advise ( all youse ) as a bedding compound?

I would think Butyl would be fine, but not clear on that.

Thank You

regards.ray
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigelowp Posted - 03/18/2023 : 14:16:26
"GUARANTEED FACTORY SHELF LIFE: Life-Calk, Life Seal, Silicone sealants – One year from date of manufacture."

Hmm, Mfg, then in Mfg inventory for a month or so, then shipped to retailer where it sits on the shelf for ??? then bought with . . . . .one month left in "guarentee". For projects such as rebidding I buy when I am doing job!
Voyager Posted - 03/06/2023 : 21:17:03
Yeah Steve, I’ve had mixed results with polysulfide caulk. One time I used about 1/2 the cylindrical tube using my caulk gun, then I tried to seal the tube on both the nozzle end and the back plunger end. Next time I went back later in the same year, it hardened in the back, but I could still use a few tablespoons of soft caulk in the front. Another time, I bought a plastic tube and it stayed ok until the next spring. Another time, I bought a tube but didn’t use it that year. The next year it was as hard as a rock. I took it back to the store with a receipt and thankfully, they let me swap it for another tube.
It’s great stuff for the purposes when you apply it promptly, but don’t count on it having much shelf life. You might get lucky like Dave, but don’t count on it. Buy it when you need it.
Steve Milby Posted - 03/05/2023 : 08:14:42
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

...Marine caulk is expensive, and, unless I'm doing a big job, I use a little from a full tube, and the rest hardens before I need it again.

Steve, try putting the cap back on... (I have a decrepit, 5+ year-old tube of Life Caulk that still works. No good for plastic though...)

This quote is from the Boatlife website. Boatlife is the manufacturer of Lifecalk.

"GUARANTEED FACTORY SHELF LIFE: Life-Calk, Life Seal, Silicone sealants – One year from date of manufacture."

FWIW, I re-cap tubes of caulk.
redeye Posted - 03/04/2023 : 19:21:54
Cool Thanks everyone... always great to get steering without having to do 5 hours of research.

<<< try putting the cap back on >>>

Yepper.. I put the cap back on and if I want to use a tube again I usually hafta pull the cap off and drill it out to get to anything usable...

All the butyl tape I've used has stayed stable up untill I've used it, so I'm a fan....

regards.ray
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/04/2023 : 14:38:27
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

...Marine caulk is expensive, and, unless I'm doing a big job, I use a little from a full tube, and the rest hardens before I need it again.

Steve, try putting the cap back on... (I have a decrepit, 5+ year-old tube of Life Caulk that still works. No good for plastic though...)
Volksaholic Posted - 03/03/2023 : 18:19:04
I first read Steve's post as "it's fun and easy to use" and I thought... yeah, it is. Kinda like silly putty. :P
islander Posted - 03/03/2023 : 16:42:32
Sorry Ray, I should have mentioned Butyl tape so Ditto what Steve said.
Steve Milby Posted - 03/03/2023 : 15:51:59
I like butyl tape for most applications, especially small jobs. It's neat and easy to use and doesn't smear like caulk sometimes does if you apply it too generously. Also, butyl tape has a long shelf life. Marine caulk is expensive, and, unless I'm doing a big job, I use a little from a full tube, and the rest hardens before I need it again.
islander Posted - 03/03/2023 : 14:29:41
Ray, 3M 4000UV is recommended for bedding ABS, Lexan and other plastics. It's a Polyester adhesive sealant and yea, Polysulfides will melt plastics.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page