Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Tiller Extension

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dkharvie Posted - 01/20/2023 : 13:41:27
Does anyone use a tiller extension they'd recommend? Telescopic? Seems like a lot of money for a stick!
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 01/25/2023 : 22:00:15
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager
Hahaha — yeah, I got a tiller extension in exchange for the Origo curtain burner. I reckon that’s an even swap.
Bruce--the Origo specifically is not a curtain burner--it replaced one (a Princess), and is non-pressurized alcohol, so basically the safest boat stove around, but definitely not the cheapest--you got hosed. (Propane and butane do cook better).

Back to tillers.......
Voyager Posted - 01/25/2023 : 20:01:23
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:

A tiller extension came with Passage (thanks again to Dave)...

Not me. Maybe Bill (our 1-year intermediary). I had one on my Sunfish and on my O'Day Daysailer, exactly for what Steve said--not on Passage. The shorter tiller, however, would have had appeal...

Hahaha — yeah, I got a tiller extension in exchange for the Origo curtain burner. I reckon that’s an even swap.
dalelargent Posted - 01/24/2023 : 12:26:27
I suppose I agree there is no “need” for a tiller extension. However, I did happily use one 20% of the time on our C25 to be able to move around the cockpit better. I find it nice to get into different positions on long sailing days.
Stinkpotter Posted - 01/24/2023 : 11:34:34
quote:

A tiller extension came with Passage (thanks again to Dave)...

Not me. Maybe Bill (our 1-year intermediary). I had one on my Sunfish and on my O'Day Daysailer, exactly for what Steve said--not on Passage. The shorter tiller, however, would have had appeal...
Voyager Posted - 01/24/2023 : 06:50:51
A tiller extension came with Passage (thanks again to Dave) and I use it especially on cold or rainy days when I sit on the companionway bridge and steer the boat. I can see over the cabintop while keeping most of my body in the cabin.
I’ve never considered shortening the tiller, but this thread is giving me ideas.
Derek Crawford Posted - 01/23/2023 : 14:16:31
Steve, that's fine for guests; but JD had to sit behind the winch so he could see the jib and adjust as necessary. If he sat far enough back to clear the tiller he would block the traveler extension.
DavidCrosby Posted - 01/22/2023 : 09:53:00
I have a tiller extension and would not be without one. Mine has an oval handle on the end and can be extended and retracted. The one on my boat is quite expensive. It came with the boat. I probably would have bought something more basic, but still adjustable in length.

The tiller extension allows me to move throughout the cockpit and sit in a wide variety of positions.

Not a great picture of the tiller extension - but it can be seen. We are cruise mode on a trip down the Mississippi River in this picture with the autopilot doing all of the work.

Steve Milby Posted - 01/21/2023 : 10:31:22
I always tell crew or guests that they should sit as near the cabin bulkhead or as far aft as possible, to permit the tiller to swing freely.
Derek Crawford Posted - 01/21/2023 : 09:34:49
I cut about 6" off that tiller because my genoa trimmer was a very big man and he complained that when we tacked the tiller hit him in the butt. The shortened tiller never affected performance and actually made tacking a bit easier.
Derek Crawford Posted - 01/21/2023 : 09:33:25
I cut about 6" off that tiller because my genoa trimmer was a very big man and he complained that when we tacked the tiller hit him in the butt. The shortened tiller never affected performance and actually made tacking a bit easier.
GaryB Posted - 01/21/2023 : 01:42:26
When I first bought my boat it had a standard length tiller. Later I bought This Side Up's tiller from Derek Crawford. Not sure how much it was shortened but I like it a lot.

I sail single hand all the time and the shorter tiller made it a lot easier to get around in the cockpit. It also came with a tiller extension. I the tiller extension once or twice and put it away.
OLarryR Posted - 01/20/2023 : 22:33:41
Agree - No. real need for a tiller extension...at least for me.
However, what I could potentially use, but not important enough to actually motivate me into action on another project, is the ability to shorten the existing tiller approximately 6" or so for those times when I have others on the boat and it makes it difficult for me to negotiate switching seating when tacking, getting past the tiller extremities. I believe I saw a photo on this Forum, many, many years ago where someone had modified their tiller enabling the end 6" or so to swing up and back to rest on top of the remaining tiller. Believe two metal plates on each side of the tiller enabled the tiller end to swing up 180 degrees to rest on the remaining tiller. When less are onboard sailing, then the tiller end could be swung back into normal position.

Possibly outweighing the occasional usefulness having the flexibility to shorten the tiller, I would have concern rthat the modification may weaken the tiller and/or shortening it's useful life.
Steve Milby Posted - 01/20/2023 : 18:46:58
IMO a tiller extension is only useful on a C25 when shorthanded in light air or strong winds. It's unnecessary when you have enough crew to heel the boat to leeward in light air or to sit on the windward rail in strong winds. In moderate winds, whether singlehanded or with crew, you don't need a tiller extension. It's purpose is to let you move your weight to windward or to leeward as needed. I've only used one once or twice a season. I never bought one. They were included with a couple boats that I bought, and I used them rarely.

They're most useful for small, light racing dinghies with one or two person crews, where weight distribution is crucial. They have limited usefulness on a +-5000 lb keelboat.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page