Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bilge Pumps

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Blowboat Posted - 10/23/2022 : 13:05:52
So, in theory our new boat has two bilge pumps: an electric pump and a manual pump operated from the cockpit. Theories are good...unless they are not right. We do have two bilge pumps...but the manual one is not connected! So, how do you run the hoses for two bilge pumps?

The electric one runs through the cockpit locker to the through hull on the stern of the boat. Will I need to drill another hole for the manual pump? Can they be connected and run out the same through hull?

I haven't had an electric bilge pump before so not sure how this works.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blowboat Posted - 10/26/2022 : 18:10:08
Thanks everyone! I thought I had read it was a bad idea to plumb them together. Appreciate the inpu!t
redeye Posted - 10/26/2022 : 07:09:41
<< Can they be connected and run out the same through hull? >>

they could be but it's not only a bad idea, not to make the new bilge line redundant but it's problematic ... a back flow check valve on both lines and one could malfunction at a very important time, when you need to keep the boat afloat.

And not only would you be getting water in the boat but you might be pumping it back in....

Although who knows, you might be able to find a good design..

IMHO
Leon Sisson Posted - 10/24/2022 : 07:20:14
Here's a link to a post about bilge pumps from earlier this year which might be helpful:  Bilge Pump.
islander Posted - 10/24/2022 : 06:33:44
quote:
.but the manual one is not connected!

Sounds like your PO installed an electric pump and used the existing hoses from the manual pump. Nothing wrong with that. Just make sure the electric pump works and is wired properly and is not connected to the fuse panel. It should be connected directly to the battery. Its not a good idea to connect two pumps to the same discharge hose. Water can be pumped from one pump back up through the second pump and back into the boat. Some would say to use backflow preventers to prevent this but that is also not a good idea. Backflow preventers can clog or get stuck. The best bullet proof way of having two bilge pumps if you want is to run two seperate hoses and thru hulls. It could be that the manual pump rubber diaphragm has rotted and the pump no longer worked so your PO installed the electric pump. Catalina Direct has the pump rebuild kit if you want to fix it.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page