Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 History

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Stinkpotter Posted - 08/06/2022 : 19:57:39
I posted this in response to a comment from Henk in the Swap Meet forum, and think it's worth repeating:

The evolution of this site is something I think very few of us still here know. I started a little before we bought our C-25 in 1999, when this forum was part of Trailersailor.com. How many others can remember that? A few people come to mind who really took us from there to where we are now, through several software platforms and server organizations: Duane Wolf, Don Lucier, Paul Alcock... If anyone has some other names, jump in here! This is the behind-the-scenes work that creates the foundation for every organization in this new world, and it gets lost and forgotten.

Thanks all!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 08/15/2022 : 19:13:05
Peter, I love your story! As parents, we’re in the memories business. I’m sure that your experience with your son was priceless, no matter how many boat bucks it cost. It’s great that you got so much excellent practical and technical input from the Forum.
Voyager Posted - 08/14/2022 : 22:51:53
I’m not absolutely certain, but Catalina make 2 boats today (or at least lately) that may fit this niche:
• The C-22 redo — there’s one at my marina that looks pretty easy to sail and probably easy to trailer; and
• The Catalina 275 — I’ve seen them at the New England and Newport boat shows in the recent past.
The latter is not my style however with mid-boom sheeting, you have to step over the sheet car and track. Seems like a trip hazard to me. And an open transom. Again, easily pooped, and too many items are likely fall into the drink like my cell phone, my handheld VHF, my drink … and has a diesel 14.6HP sail drive arrangement. Not sure how tow-able it would be.
Stinkpotter Posted - 08/14/2022 : 20:52:45
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

I see many C-25's for sale.

...with a little over 6,000 built. There aren't many cruising sailboats that top that (except from Catalina). Right now, if somebody wants a "weekender" sailboat that is easily single-handed, can be pushed by an 8-10 hp outboard (instead of an inboard money-gobbler), and transported on a trailer with a mid-sized SUV without a wide-load permit, they won't find it in the new-boat market--period. And Catalina had captured the market when they were available, for a reason. The C-250 is a little more trailerable (lighter weight and the water ballast option); the older C-25 is a little more "sea-kindly" (heavier with more ballast), but both are now out of production along with all of their few competitors in that segment that I know of. And none of those competitors have something like this organization!

Case closed.
bigelowp Posted - 08/14/2022 : 18:19:30
Bruce . . . .WOW . . . .such a great recap of your experience and this site. My story was far simpler. I wanted to get a boat my son, then 14, and I could work on together and bond while sailing. My boat was, as you would say, salvage. However we worked on it: he scrubbed all the mold off it, painted the bottom, polished away, all with a big smile. I wrote the checks for replacing standing rigging, sails, etc. We launched in spring 2007. Every year making improvements. This site was instrumental in understanding how best to improve the boat; how best to sail the boat; how best to maintain the boat; and, effectively, how much we love our boat. So many have contributed. Many items I bought to improve were through the swap meet. I fully agree with your final statement: "Almost 25 years and still relevant -- remarkable in the internet."

I see many C-25's for sale. I hope whomever buys them can appreciate this site so it continues to support our boats and remains not just relevant, but appreciated!!!!!
Voyager Posted - 08/14/2022 : 09:06:01
In 2005-2006, my wife and I were thinking about upsizing from our trailer daysailer. We had had that and several canoes and kayaks for years, but we were ready for more extended multi-day sails. We began at the Newport Show and saw 25-32 ft Hunters, Alerions, European boats and Catalinas. By far, the Catalinas seemed to be the best built and most ample for the size, so we set our sights on a more affordable boat by looking for a “vintage” Catalina, Cal or Hunter that was well-equipped.
We tried searching on Craigslist, regional and national sailing magazines, boat brokers and marinas up and down the CT coast. We saw a lot of older boats, some were nice (and they knew it), some were almost salvage, but most showed their ages conspicuously. We liked an 80s vintage C25 with original brown plaid cushions that had been owned by a local church, but when we visited it during a rain, we found that it leaked like a sieve!
We learned about the Catalina25/250s site through a friend and checked the swap meet. Joined in 2006 as Voyager. The was the name of my daysailer. I noted that Passage was for sale in Connecticut and within our budget. I reached out the next day to the seller (our own Dave Stinkpotter B), who said, “sorry — you missed it by one day — the new owner bought her yesterday”. We chatted for a little while about boats and things and found that the new owners lived in my town. Small world!
So a few weeks went by and I was paddling around the harbor, and there was Passage on a mooring in the anchorage. Passage, and the new owners, were right there prepping and primping for their daysail. So I went right up and admired the boat, asked him all about it, never letting on. The conversation went on for awhile and I said, “well, if you ever want to sell it, here’s my card - give me a call.” We parted and I thought that was that.
Our search continued that fall and winter to no avail. Then next August, my phone rang one day. The guy on the other end of the line asked, “hey Bruce, are you still interested in the boat?” I couldn’t believe my ears, but he continued, “look I’m getting older and I hurt my back last season, so I thought of you.”
We agreed on a price and cut a deal. It was now late September 2007, so he already had the boat layed up for the winter. I was pumped! Passage was the nicest older boat we had seen, and now we owned it. I was like a kid at Christmas. I visited it during the off season to take stock. The next spring we sailed it to our new home — Brewers Stratford, now called Safe Harbors marina on the Housatonic River. We had a share on the tee end of the slips. What a showplace for a beautiful boat! Lots of stories about Brewers “B-dock” for another day…
All that said, I was a latecomer to the earliest days of this Forum. By then, the group was 10+ years old. At that time, the first stories and early rivalries were still being recounted, but a whole new flock of members had recently arrived. Probably the 2nd or 3rd generation (lots of colorful characters), while the first generation was still around and still “in charge”.
There was a different vibe depending on what the topic was and who was leading the conversation. But I must say, by the time I joined, the tone was very civil 99% of the time, and very constructive: Boat improvements and upgrades.
That’s the legacy of this site : largely informational and helpful, folks offering their sincerest advice and suggestions. Quite unique for a web forum IMHO. But that’s a testament to the longevity of this place. Almost twenty-five years and still relevant — remarkable in the Internet age.
bigelowp Posted - 08/09/2022 : 14:55:24
Henk:

You and Johanna are two of my "heroes" you are doing what so many of us dream, travel, sailing, sharing experiences. When I think of this site, there are many who have consistently provided information, guidance, support and good cheer. Dave Bristle, Frank Hopper, Steve Milby and so many others, and on and on -- all so very helpful and have made this site what it is. The web traffic is decreasing, a concern, but the love and support is still what makes this site invaluable. I certainly look forward to hearing of you future travels. Sail on!
zeil Posted - 08/07/2022 : 16:57:19

It was our son who first alerted us excitedly to this forum that he randomly found on the internet, after we purchased our first C250 WB in Portland OR. The year was 2003. Besides owning a Hobby-cat for weekend and vacation sailing, commitments limited time on the water but with pensioning looming, more time was in the future. Besides, kids were leaving for university and marriages

This forum, right from the get-go, that provided answers to many "newby", questions and gave us much needed confidence to tackle boat related questions no matter what they were in a "family setting' for which this forum was and still is celebrated.

We have looked up to many of the forum participants such as Jim Baumgart, Buss Maring, Arlyn Stewart and many, many more including people already named and still active.

In fact this forum added to our confidence that, just before the winter of 2006 we set off on a year-long 25,000km (17,000 mile) road and float trip around our continent and provided lots of encouragements along the way while, at the same time, visiting members, where possible, in their sailing venues.

It prompted us to publish our year-long trip synopsis on this forum which, by re-reading it, is still current and just as much inspiring as the day it was written. Here it is for those whose want to try-out some limits of our wonderful, trailer-able, versatile pitit cruisers.

https://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=30820&SearchTerms=planning,extended,cruising

A few years ago we sold our beloved Someday Lady, a 1995 C250WB but regretted to be boat-less. A few years later, after owning a 30ft powerboat for 4 months, purchased a 1996 C250 WB in Ontario to motor-sail the Trent-Severn Waterway in Ontario before returning 4 months and 10.000 km later back home on the west coast of Canada

For those familar with this site, you know that we could not resist purchasing in 2021 another C250 Wing Keel which after treating it the same as the other two boats by adding interior niceties, is for sale

It is, without doubt, the people on this forum during the years that have given unselfishly that have maintained the quality and the highest value for which it is known... and whom I would like to salute

Steve Milby Posted - 08/07/2022 : 08:43:34
I first sailed a C25 in 1980 and ordered my TR/FK new that fall. I raced it that summer at Brookville Lake in Southern Indiana and it was so fast that I decided to find out where the national regatta was held and race it there. As a new owner, Catalina sent me a copy of the Mainsheet, which, I believe was first published late in 1982. The C25 National Association was formed in 1983, and the first Commodore was Steve Geiss. The first C25 National Regatta was held in 1983 on Saylorville Lake, near Des Moines, Iowa. Membership in the National Association was required to race in the National Regatta, so I joined the National Association and have maintained my membership since then.

That was long before the trailer sailor forum existed. In fact, the world wide web wasn't created until 1994. Thus, our only means of communicating with the members was by publishing notices in the Mainsheet magazine. I don't know who first got the C25 National Association connected with trailer sailor, but it must have been the Commodore in about 1995-1996. I never knew why trailer sailor stopped serving C25s, but that resulted in the birth of this forum.

Before the internet, it was a major challenge to keep people sufficiently interested in the National Association to continue renewing their membership, and the National Regatta was the one event that could generate excitement. National regattas not only offer enthusiastic competition, but they're also very social events followed by a party, banquet and often even door prizes.

I raced in the 1983 and 1984 National Regattas at Saylorville Lake, and was elected the second Commodore of the National Association in 1984. I brought the National Regatta to Brookville Lake in 1985, and we had 32 C25s registered to race from 6 states. 29 boats actually attended and raced and I finished first. I raced in 6 regattas, 5 times with my boat and once as crew for a friend, and won twice.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page