Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Capri 25 Topping Lift

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Capri25 Posted - 05/22/2022 : 15:51:22
I have the stock boom that came with the Capri 25 (1983) What do you all use for a topping lift configuration?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LT_Smash Posted - 11/01/2022 : 13:26:50
I also have a boomkicker, I find it works great and is a nice safety feature in case of accidental halyard release. It also makes reefing a snap, and there is no more topping lift slapping the mast (if taken off the boom) or fouling the leech (if left in place). Less weight in the spar, too.

Capri25 Posted - 09/20/2022 : 09:54:02
I like the boomkicker option and the advantage to paying better attention to sail shape

quote:
Originally posted by shnool

My $0.02 is to no use a top lift at all. Buy a boomkicker, and use it to support the boom while sail is down, vang to adjust. The kicker will also give you better sail shape. For the few seconds between sail down and moving the halyard to the aft end of the boom the kicker will be fine holding the boom up.

I practice what I preach, the last 4 boats I have owned I have removed my topping lift. I am even without a topping lift on my C&C 32 right now. End of every trip the halyard attaches to the end of the boom, when the sail is up, no need for the top lift, kicker and vang work together to put the boom where I want it for various light air or wind direction.

Capri25 Posted - 09/20/2022 : 09:51:02
Mine is heavier as well. For some reason the 3/8" nylon double braid line that I ended up using is heavier/thicker than my other 3/8" halyard lines - 7/16"? If seems to be more forgiving and cushions the boom during waves at the dock.

quote:
Originally posted by joearcht

I have a little heavier line. but it runs similar to Dick's until it exits the lower mast sheave (port side) then it runs up to a cleat on the port side of the mast around the level of the normal gooseneck setting.
The crew that feeds the main sail luff in the mast sail track is responsible for releasing the lift after the main is set.
It works, I've found no reason to change it.
Not sure how the factory intended this, my boat came set up like this.

Capri25 Posted - 09/20/2022 : 09:43:02
Thanks Dick for your response. That is what I ended up doing as well as I had an extra sheave on the port side that exited aft at the masthead. I used double braid nylon to reduce the shock effect.

quote:
Originally posted by Dick OConnell

On my Capri 25 we have a light ~ 1/8 " line which we clip back of the boom outhaul shekel and runs thru the second shive at the top of the mast down the mast to a port exit shive, thru the line organizer and over to a light jam cleat by the port side of the companion way. Works well, always need to remember to loosen up after main is up.

shnool Posted - 07/19/2022 : 11:47:42
My $0.02 is to no use a top lift at all. Buy a boomkicker, and use it to support the boom while sail is down, vang to adjust. The kicker will also give you better sail shape. For the few seconds between sail down and moving the halyard to the aft end of the boom the kicker will be fine holding the boom up.

I practice what I preach, the last 4 boats I have owned I have removed my topping lift. I am even without a topping lift on my C&C 32 right now. End of every trip the halyard attaches to the end of the boom, when the sail is up, no need for the top lift, kicker and vang work together to put the boom where I want it for various light air or wind direction.
joearcht Posted - 06/27/2022 : 08:56:43
I have a little heavier line. but it runs similar to Dick's until it exits the lower mast sheave (port side) then it runs up to a cleat on the port side of the mast around the level of the normal gooseneck setting.
The crew that feeds the main sail luff in the mast sail track is responsible for releasing the lift after the main is set.
It works, I've found no reason to change it.
Not sure how the factory intended this, my boat came set up like this.
Dick OConnell Posted - 06/27/2022 : 07:37:14
On my Capri 25 we have a light ~ 1/8 " line which we clip back of the boom outhaul shekel and runs thru the second shive at the top of the mast down the mast to a port exit shive, thru the line organizer and over to a light jam cleat by the port side of the companion way. Works well, always need to remember to loosen up after main is up.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page