Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 extra grommet above boom on mainsail luff

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Oneday Posted - 06/22/2022 : 04:22:51
Can someone explain the purpose of the extra grommet on the luff of the mainsail about 10" above the grommet that attaches to the boom at the foot? Thanks Dan
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dmpilc Posted - 07/09/2022 : 14:41:53
It also sounds to me that the additional grommet is for a Cunningham, although I think mine was closer to the tack. Some C22 and C-25 main sails have the last slug attached to a fairly thin line rather than being attached to a grommet in the sail, the purpose of which is to be able to lower the main for storage under the sail cover without having to remove the sail slug stop or lower it below the stop opening to remove the last slug. It allows the sail to be lowered enough to get the cover on and may be necessary for reefing, too. That small line is the jackline that Oneday is asking about.
islander Posted - 06/22/2022 : 07:45:24
The reefing cringle is above the cunningham cringle. you can have 2 of those if you have a second reef set up. Like Steve said You can do the same thing by increasing tension on the main halyard so many dont use a cunningham. I don't have one set up.
Oneday Posted - 06/22/2022 : 05:31:50
Does it also have something to do with reefing? Something called a jackline attaches to it? Not the jackline that holds you in the boat.
Steve Milby Posted - 06/22/2022 : 05:12:12
That grommet is for a cunningham. It's an alternate way to increase luff tension. It flattens the luff of the mainsail and moves the draft forward. You can do the same thing by increasing tension on the main halyard.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page