Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Boat Washing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GaryB Posted - 06/01/2022 : 19:32:17
Got a letter from the marina saying my boat was turning green (I just washed it a couple of months ago).

It's hot and humid here and I'm getting old so thought I'd find an easier way to wash it.

I have a ton of experience using pressure washers. I recently purchased an electric 2000 psi pressure washer for the house so I decided to give it a try.

I used a 25 degree tip and kept it at a distance from the gelcoat. Worked really well on the entire boat and got most of the stubborn areas in the non-skid. It was definitely easier and faster than using a boat brush and soap.

It's important to know that if you use this method you must use the wider tip and control the distance from the surface you're washing. Get too close and you can do serious damage quickly.

As mentioned it turned out nice but the heat and humidity really kicked my butt. I've been wiped out all afternoon.

So the real kicker to this story is... as I was picking up and getting ready to go home I noticed a couple of guys washing a big catamaran. I think to myself, I should go ask them how much they would charge to wash my boat next time.

The guys call their boss, the boss shows up, I show him my boat and he quotes my $30.00 for just a wash.

I will NEVER wash my boat again. His name and number are in my phone permanently.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 06/02/2022 : 12:02:50
It’s an hourly rate kind of thing. I’ve seen guys spend 2 days washing, waxing and buffing their boats, so $450/16= $28.25 per hour. I think that if you wash and wax, the green stuff takes at least 6 months to grow back.

It generally takes me a week to redo my teak (remove - sand and scrape the old coating off - 6 coats of Cetol - rebed with bedding compound - cleanup the bedding compound) so $350 doesn’t seem too bad.

Depends on whether you have the budget vs the time and the inclination. I’d rather just sail in season.

The bottom scrub process will probably remove your ablative bottom paint pretty efficiently. I have a very soft bristle brush and I’ve used it on the bottom. It thins out the paint really quickly if you’re not careful.

If you have hard paint, it’s probably not too bad.
OLarryR Posted - 06/02/2022 : 06:07:10
I never had the work performed for me, so I do not know how competitive those prices are but having done the teak, stripping and then using teak oil in lieu of what they offered you, stripping and 4 varnish coats........The stripping can take a long time and 4 varnish coats, done properly, is not a 1 hour job......$350 would seem to be okay versus doing it yourself. It would be ideal if you can see how they finished the teak wood, in-place, on another boat. The rails, especially on the curves under the grab areas, is hard to accomplish without removing them from the boat. But if you can check out their handiwork and how neat they were avoiding staining fiberglass.......then go for it !

The hull sides, I use Polyglow. The cockpit, bulkhead, etc, I keep after it fairly frequently by cleaning and utilizing pure wax every 2 months or so. Doing that, I usually avoid significant UV/surface oxidizing/staining and only have to use the polish/wax sparingly during the season. So, $450 seems too much especially if done a number of times during the season. Perhaps, if you have significant cleaning/oxidation to address, like at the beginning of the season......we’ll then having someone do it versus struggling with it...does seem tempting. Maybe there is an equation that factors in the difficulty of the effort, your age, heat and humidity and cash sensitivities as to doing it yourself or others doing it for you.
GaryB Posted - 06/02/2022 : 05:17:19
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

What do they get for detailing the interior? Mine could definitely use a good once over!

Ha, I didn't even think to ask them about the interior.

I was going to ask you guys about this next question. He quoted me $450 to wash, compound, and wax and another $350 to strip and refinish all the teak with 4 coats of varnish. My teak needs it bad. Says he can do it without removing the teak.

Do the numbers sound about right or are they too high?
GaryB Posted - 06/02/2022 : 05:13:15
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

Hey Gary! $30 bucks on a hot humid day is fantastic! On a cooler, less humid day.......it's well ... still okay.

Too bad we can't bring our boats into the local car wash - With coupons, I can get it washed, hot wax & Rain-X applied, tire dressing applied and inside also cleaned...for $15.

I probably would have paid $75 to avoid the beating my body took yesterday. I really need to get in shape!

Not sure if it's still there are not but a couple of years ago a company installed a floating system that will clean your bottom automatically without having to have your boat hauled.

It was designed mostly for power boats but the guy said a wing keel sailboat might be doable.

Basically you just drive a boat into this floating device, they close a gate behind you and there's a large brush system that runs along under the boat to clean the bottom. Kind of like a car wash for your bottom.

I never heard much about it and I don't know if they are still in business or not. I'll have to research.
Voyager Posted - 06/01/2022 : 21:25:05
What do they get for detailing the interior? Mine could definitely use a good once over!
OLarryR Posted - 06/01/2022 : 20:26:03
Hey Gary! $30 bucks on a hot humid day is fantastic! On a cooler, less humid day.......it's well ... still okay.

Too bad we can't bring our boats into the local car wash - With coupons, I can get it washed, hot wax & Rain-X applied, tire dressing applied and inside also cleaned...for $15.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page