Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 OT: What ever happened to … ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Voyager Posted - 04/11/2022 : 13:21:53
This might be an uncomfortable or pointless question for some, so apologies up front. We’ve got a great community here among the regulars (and irregulars ;), as well as folks who tune in from time to time to discuss sailboats and boat maintenance.

But I wonder how we’d ever know whether someone who normally checks in regularly on the forum has, let us say, has “checked out”? Whether they sold their C25/250 or have moved onto their Last Horizon (as the US Power Squadron puts it)?

I’ve often wondered about folks who just seemed to go missing here. Since most of us only meet virtually here or occasionally on email, how would we know?

Maybe it’s just another one of life’s mysteries.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigelowp Posted - 08/14/2022 : 18:42:49
Gotta Say I miss Frank Hopper's contributions as well as Randy Kolb's They seemed to hit the target, and in a nice way!
Stinkpotter Posted - 07/18/2022 : 08:15:31
Condolences Jerry, but welcome to the Admiralty!
jerlim Posted - 07/17/2022 : 12:13:11
Greetings all.

An interesting topic to be sure. By way of this message, please be advised that I no longer have Whisper - and selling it WAS NOT the second happiest day for me...We have moved to Williamsburg VA and I am involved with a time share arrangement, so I do get to continue sailing. Life changed, we moved and no longer have the time for the hobby of ownership. Believe me when I say that I miss Whisper, the time spent on the water and at a slip and of course the comradery of the Forum.

As such, I will be offering for sale on the SWAP Forum some items I've held onto, but no longer need.

Fair winds to all!
Jerlim
dmpilc Posted - 07/10/2022 : 08:23:17
Life has gotten in the way recently for us, but we're still here. We finally got to put our boat in the water at her new home lake (Woods Reservoir near Tullahoma) for some sailing, after 3 years! Felt good! Our move to Monteagle puts us in a better position to take the boat to 3 of the other lakes we typically sail/race on, at Chickamauga - Chattanooga, at Lanier - Atlanta, and at Weiss Lake (Centre, AL) near Gadsden. All are in the eastern time zone, so 1.5 hours closer makes a difference, and still close enough to Nashville. Loving it in our cabin in the woods.
Commodore Posted - 04/21/2022 : 14:53:19
Bruce,

Thank you for your thoughts.
I agree, as a group we should do a better job of outreach to our former members and inactive forum users.
I simple "How's it going" email might help.
It is quite rare for someone to update their profile or post "I've sold my boat".

Thanks, Russ
Voyager Posted - 04/20/2022 : 19:40:01
Russ, I’m not certain what kind of data can be extracted. I’ll ping you via email
Commodore Posted - 04/18/2022 : 21:35:31
Bruce,

This can be a sad topic.
My local sailing club has a newsletter with an “Eight Bells” notice.
Sometimes from the membership side, we get a notice basically “You can stop sending the Mainsheet magazine, because ‘Uncle Bob’ has passed”.

On the other hand, during membership renewal, we get “I’ve sold the boat and will not renew”.
Usually, we don’t know the Forum User linked to the Member name.
It’s pretty rare that someone will update their Forum status that they sold their boat.

In both cases, as the Forum Admin we could update their forum account with a notice.
If you have some ideas, please contact me directly.
We are always looking for volunteers.

Thanks, Russ
dalelargent Posted - 04/18/2022 : 19:10:46
Hi everyone!

We are still out here full-time cruising our Catalina 36 mkII in Washington state waters. We spent the winter cruising central and south Puget Sound. We are now two weeks into the San Juan Islands. Planning on cruising into Canadian waters after a family wedding in June. 18 months now as full timers.

We still own our C25 and I do check in on this forum routinely. I am happy to report that the Catalina 36 community is just as supportive and kind as this one.
Steve Milby Posted - 04/13/2022 : 06:18:14
Yeah, the J/24 is still in Michigan, near Lake St. Clair. I'm picking it up next Thursday, getting 4 new tires on the trailer and bringing it home. It won't feel like it's officially mine until it's in my driveway. I'll update my signature after that.
Stinkpotter Posted - 04/12/2022 : 21:07:19
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

I've asked my son to notify certain friends, including this forum, but, until then, it's almost time to launch the boat.

Ahhh... but what boat?? Your signature is out of date, Steve!
Steve Milby Posted - 04/12/2022 : 09:50:59
I've asked my son to notify certain friends, including this forum, but, until then, it's almost time to launch the boat.
glivs Posted - 04/12/2022 : 04:41:06
Ditto....often wondered how/where individuals ended up, even relatively recent contributors...
islander Posted - 04/12/2022 : 04:06:52
Just click on Forum Users. It's 203 pages long and full of names you will remember.
bigelowp Posted - 04/11/2022 : 16:15:32
Bruce:

Good question -- and I have wondered that too. Many, very many, from years ago were valuable and consistent contributors and just seemed to vanish. I have reached out to a couple and have learned they re doing ok but have moved on, but others???

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page