Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Could not resist...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zeil Posted - 05/28/2021 : 16:40:49

Not even completely finished adding a few more additions on our present boat however... could not resist passing up on this 2000 C250WK

Actually we were shopping around for an asymmetrical spinnaker when we came across this fully equipped 2000 wing keeler well decked out and... having the sail we were looking for

To make a long story short we ended up buying the sail and boat to boot. The boat had been kept covered for the longest time and is in great shape.

Besides being well appointed it comes with wheel steering, traveler, teak deck in cockpit and cabin, a 135% jib, 2 reef points in the main, a Harken furler and what we really like, all lines are led aft to the cockpit.

The interior is spotless as well as the rest of the boat. It also comes with a factory built galvanized "Trailrite", trailer. Besides all... it is a freshwater boat

More to come

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
zeil Posted - 08/05/2022 : 13:37:48
Strangely, we haven't had much of an opportunity to use the asymmetrical sail or even to launch the boat this season due to graduations of a bunch of grandchildren in different parts of the country as well as a few pleasant land-trailer camping holidays. Seems that neither of the boats are going to be used much this season but... possibly this winter as we toy with the idea to spend time in San Diego.

However, by observing the way the previous PO had it rigged it seems that the tack is attached to the forward part of the stem by an about 2 ft long line with a block on the end through which the tack line can be run and led to the cockpit (or tied off forward) to ease or tighten the tack. I don't think it matters much if this line is connected to the first or second opening in the stem fitting. By the way the sail is complete with a dousing sock.

The sheets are led to spring mounted blocks installed just above the cockpit day coaming and cleated to cam cleats mounted 6" below. It seems a simple, flexible and effective way to control the sail with light wind conditions.

rhs944 Posted - 08/04/2022 : 13:15:43
Have you flown the Asym on that C250 yet? If so, how do you attach the tack. My C250 came with an Asym, that was purchased by the first owner. The 2nd owner never used it, so wasn't any help on how to rig it. The sail has a tack line of about 6', a block and a short line. My first attempt was to tie the block to the bow pulpit in the center, with the short line. Then run the tack line through the block down to one of the bow cleats. Thus allowing me to adjust the height of the sail. This puts the Asym in front of the jib. Do you have a better solution? My furling jib is mounted using the most forward hole in the bow plate. So if I was to use one of the other available holes in the plate, I would be behind the jib. However the spinnaker halyard is above the jib at the very top of the mast.
zeil Posted - 12/28/2021 : 15:27:04
Chris, great contributions... welcome aboard. Glad you plan to continue to share your projects, thoughts and experiences.

It takes a bit of planning before, during and after, doing the additions or modifications while documenting and publishing the actual work creates a valuable "how to", history for the benefit of all of us. Thank you

Having access to a widely diverse pool of skills by the forum members is ever so valuable, stimulating and confidence giving besides providing alternate ways of accomplishing projects

csmcg Posted - 12/27/2021 : 18:43:01
Thank you for the reply Henk. My wife and I have been avid readers of your and Johanna's adventures for quite a while.

I very much appreciate the contributions of members like yourself who provide so much valuable information.

I was a paying member several years ago but haven't pulled my weight around here... something that I hope to rectify.

I am now a card-carrying member and will post about some simple projects in the hopes of adding something useful.

Regards, Chris
zeil Posted - 12/27/2021 : 17:55:11

Appreciate your comment Chris, thank you

You may get the impression that we like the boats and highly value the design, versatility, quality and workmanship of our petit coastal cruisers. You're right... even after 19 years

Our 25 footers are far more capable of being kind to its owners without causing a lot of work, bother or cost and will, with great pleasure, extend your cruising experience to include living aboard for a week, a month or even, like we did, for over a year while taking us 25.000 km (17.000 miles) half on water and half on land around our continent.

I'll include a synopsis of our trip just to "float", a few of you off your "barnacles".

https://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=30820&SearchTerms=planning,extended,cruising

Note: A substantial cost of the year-long trip includes the food bill which in any case would have been incurred had we stayed home

csmcg Posted - 12/27/2021 : 12:02:36
Congrats on the purchase Henk. We have hull #487 "Danu".

I really appreciate all of the information that you and Johanna have posted on these boards over the years.

Regards, Chris.
kjk Posted - 08/31/2021 : 17:47:29
As for a name, considering there are two vessels, "Second Opinion"
Robb Posted - 06/28/2021 : 23:02:45
Hi Henk - we can absolutely look for the opportunity - My goal is also to take the boat out to the coast once I relocate to Vernon. As for slips around Vernon, not aware of options directly around Vernon for a slip, but there may be mooring options or options to leave a rigged boat on the trailer parked close to a ramp. Failing that, Kelowna or West Kelowna may have something available at their respective marinas. Freedom had a fairly large line up of boats constructed by Tillotson Pearson in Rhode Is. (Same builder as the J boats). Mine was a Freedom 21 which was their smallest boat. Some things I liked about it were the free standing carbon fibre mast with a tabernackle hinge. The boat could be rigged in a few minutes as it had no standing rigging. (Picture a giant Laser dingy with a cabin and a cockpit the size of a C250). I'm still tying to figure out how to post pictures on the forum but there are lots of pics of the freedom line on the internet. My boat also had tiller steering and really large rudder, so it literally turned on a dime. Downside of the F21 is that it was a cat boat so while it was very easy to sail (even single handed) upwind performance was less than stellar. The C250 has a bigger and more comfortable cabin (with an enclosed head which is a really nice feature) and I like the sugar scoop transom for swimming. Its definitely a step up in size and the wheel steering has taken some getting used to, but I'm really enjoying the C250 so far.
zeil Posted - 06/27/2021 : 21:49:23

Glad we have similar boats... would love to find an opportunity to sail together. You mentioned a waiting list... are there alternatives that you are aware of?

I'm not familiar with the "Freedom" sailboat... would like if you could provide a description or some photos. Sailing it for 20 years is a long time you must miss it now? Does the Catalina fit your needs better?

Robb Posted - 06/26/2021 : 23:14:06
Thanks for the info Henk - look forward to meeting you as well. I would think a sock would be easier to deal with. Been to the Yacht club a few times - its a good facility with a very casual atmosphere. It does have sling facilities and a ramp. Cheers
zeil Posted - 06/26/2021 : 16:59:28

Congratulations Robb with your upcoming retirement. It is an exciting time. Good choice, Vernon looks like a nice place to settle. Look forward meeting you...

We're excited that our oldest daughter, husband and kids are relocating to Vernon. We will be there to house sit a couple of weeks in late July

Just Googled Vernon Yacht club which is 3.9 km from their house. Looks like a good facility and probably will have sling facilities. In any case a ramp is located next to it. We'll take a look around

The asymmetrical light weight 5 color sail that came with the boat seems easy to set, control and douse from the cockpit which on most mountain lakes is not a luxury. The sheets are led all the way back to a block on the stern end of the coamings and cam cleated while the tack would be adjustable. The sail was only used once before. Can't wait to try it out.

North sails in Richmond, BC quoted including a furler approx. 2 grand with a 6 month ordering time. Not sure what the advantages would be of a furler versus using a sock.

Robb Posted - 06/26/2021 : 13:30:16
Hi Henk, I'm sure we can meet up! I'll be relocating to Vernon when I retire this fall. Have a house there already. I'm still an Alberta resident so unfortunately I cant get on the waiting list for a slip at the Vernon Yacht club. Last year there were 20 people on the wait list; this year its past 40! Might have to look at alternate mooring options for a few years. I'll want to hear more about the spinnaker as thats my next purchase when I relocate the boat out there.
zeil Posted - 06/25/2021 : 15:27:23

Hello Robb... nice to hear from you and thank you. It would be wonderful to meet you

It so happens that one of our daughters is moving to Vernon, BC in a couple of weeks. The place they purchased is about 1 1/2 km from the lake. Of course in the back of my mind an idea starts to develop to perhaps find a slip in the area and keep it there for the summer season.

Our wing keel just arrived home in the driveway. Besides enjoying the fantastic drive to mile zero of the Alaska Highway and 2500km (1550 miles), it was a bit of a tight fit when we finally parked it in driveway below our house power line but is worked fine.

Right now I'm going over every aspect of the boat as well as it's inventory. So far I'm super impressed with the shape the boat and equipment is in.

We had a quick look at the sails which appear in good shape and of course admired the 5 color asymmetrical spinnaker complete with a snuffer which caught my attention in the first place (and bought the boat too)

Robb Posted - 06/24/2021 : 15:41:01
Congratulations on the new to you WK Henk and Johanna! Bought mine last summer after sailing a Freedom for the past 20 yrs. Happy with the boat so far - like yours, came with lots of extras. My boat has always been fresh water as well - starting life out at Lake Okanagan, taking a detour to Edmonton and now back to the Okanagan. Going to rename her "Fat Bottom Girl". The name came to me after seeing her wide-ish transom compared to some of the other boats at the dock.
Stinkpotter Posted - 06/14/2021 : 15:35:07
quote:
Originally posted by k3fuller

...I'd hate to see what a few year old Bene would look like in charter service.
AKA Bendy-Toy.
k3fuller Posted - 06/14/2021 : 09:35:02
Well I'll give a short one... We did the counter clockwise route around the islands: Tortola-Norman-Cooper-Virgin Gorda-Anagada-Jost Van Dyke-Peter then back to Tortola. Amazingly beautiful water and scenery even though there is still a lot of hurricane damaged trees, the snorkeling was so so. Hurricane Irma really ground up the corals and a lot of it is dead but there are some good places and from what I read it's getting better each year.

It was interesting to sail that new production boat. Twin rudders was a new thing for me and I don't like the lack of control at low/no speed. But sailing they are super responsive. I found the interior kind of cheap (laminated marine plywood). Winches too small. Really dumb jib sheet setup with the antal rings that beat the h&ll out of the deck when tacking. Interestingly enough I was happy to get back to my boat and have a new appreciation for her and the Catalina build. Oh, and get this, the boat's a 2019 and already the starboard saloon portlight was leaking.

I talked to the chief mechanic about their boats and wanted his opinions on them. He said the Jeanneau are better made than the Beneteau in his opinion. The interiors of the Bene's show wear really fast. I thought this surprising since the Jeanneau we were on had a lot of wear on the counters. I'd hate to see what a few year old Bene would look like in charter service.
Voyager Posted - 06/12/2021 : 21:16:54
Wow Henk! That’s pretty far up the line at mm0.
A friend’s daughter and family live up on Prince Rupert Island. He says when he’s there he can go fishing for haddock out on the Sound and catch salmon in the creeks, provided that the grizzly bears allow it.
It’s fearsome territory most times of the year but June generally tends to be pretty warm. Maybe foggy? Look out.
Don’t forget your mosquito hat & net and your DEET bug spray. They say that the mosquito is the provincial bird in those parts.
zeil Posted - 06/11/2021 : 11:38:47
Kemp... It must've been a great experience spending a week and a half on a 35 footer. Will we be able to look forward to your cruise report?

Next Tuesday we're planning to travel, for two days just about straight north by north east and see the boat in person for the first time.

Once in Dawson Creek we look forward to meet the PO's who will hopefully allow us some time to familiarize us with the boat, inventory and its history.

After the transfer of trailer papers and road insurance we'll have the lights, brakes, wheels and tires checked before returning the 1146km (700miles) trip home.

BTW Dawson Creek, BC is located at mile 0 of the Alaska Highway

k3fuller Posted - 06/11/2021 : 07:14:49
Having just spent 9 days on a Jeanneau 349 in the BVI's, I'd sure like the headroom of a WK instead of my WB.
JB Posted - 05/31/2021 : 06:20:21
I suffer a similar illness. I have a wing keel Catalina 25 that I've owned since 2000 and for some reason I bought a 2004 Catalina wing keel 250 last summer. Haven't gotten it wet yet. Work has been awful the last year and a half.
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/30/2021 : 19:55:19
I found that the AI (Google) conversion of 499 to Roman is something quite different, but it seems to me another logical conversion is "ID" (which could be seen as one short of 500). Id, of course, has it's own meanings, such as "satisfaction of primative needs"...
zeil Posted - 05/30/2021 : 15:09:40

Ha... thank you Russell for pointing out that sail number 499 is identical to the sail shown on the forum's banner... super interesting...

I was not in the least aware of the fact that a boat, located so close to the arctic circle, could be the one carrying the identical sail/hull number to our Catalina's forum banner. It would have to be the same

We are apparently the 4th owner.

Our plan is to bring her, in a couple of weeks from now, 1146 km or 700 miles further south to Langley, British Columbia

Yeah... it will be interesting to discover mood swings between the two boats and see what happens parked next to each other

Surprisingly the 2000 C250 WK #499 has not been named as yet... any help, ideas, suggestions, comments are invited and very welcome

Not sure at this time what to do with two boats... 4 motors and a 8ft inflatable dingy also without a name (our previous dingy was called "Someday Baby") (one suggestion: perhaps we could make one big one)

Yes... that's correct... we never finished reporting on our road & float cruise a couple of years ago when we drove crossing Canada in both directions and arriving home just a couple of days before the snow started to fly.

The entire trip was a glorious, unbelievable, fantastic 4 month towing and "living aboard the boat", adventure totaling well over 10.000 km (6200 miles) road kilometers and uncountable nautical miles.

Russ.Johnson Posted - 05/30/2021 : 06:06:36
Is that the same “499” that is the webpage banner?
Look up, I think you are famous.
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/29/2021 : 14:00:03
So now you can answer all of the WK/WB comparison questions!

How's the WK going to work with your road-cruise program? (...or is that program still active?)
wm36 Posted - 05/28/2021 : 19:09:30
Henk, sounds like quite a find. I'm sure you will post pictures soon. Anxious to see her!

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page