Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Admiralty Forum
 Oh Nooooo! I'm Boat-less!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Steve Milby Posted - 05/09/2021 : 07:01:18
Boat-less for the first time in 50 years. I drove to Maryland last Wednesday to give my fast, race-ready Cal 25 (Fahrvergnugen) to two friends, and to look after my C&C 35 (Captiva Wind), which has been on the hard since I had to go home early to Ohio with health issues in the fall of 2019.

I unloaded all my stuff from the C&C. There were a gazillion t-shirts and caps. (You get a free t-shirt and cap every time you race.) I talked with a marina employee, who mentioned that he'd love to buy her, but he couldn't make the payments. I could see from the look in his eye that he was sincere.

I tossed and turned all night, unable to sleep, because Captiva Wind is a good boat, with "good bones," and I have made many upgrades through the years, so that she's a much better boat now than when I bought her nearly 20 years ago. I didn't want to see her meet the fate of many "yard queens" that I've seen through the years, sitting on jackstands with faded "for sale" signs on them, slowly deteriorating from inattention.

The next morning I saw my friend, the marina employee, and I reminded him of his comment that he'd like to buy the boat if he could. I asked him how much he would be able to pay for the boat. He stated a price that was less than half of what they're currently listed for on Yachtworld. His boss heard the conversation. He's a good friend to both of us. He said, "If it'll help, I'll write a check right now for $6000. to help make the deal. I said I'd let him pay the balance in interest-free installments, and we shook hands.

You might ask why I accepted such a low offer. I got everything I really wanted out of the deal. I got my money's worth out of the boat in using and enjoying it for nearly 20 years. Anything I got back was icing on the cake. She'll be maintained by a guy who knows how, and who'll appreciate her, and she won't be a yard queen with a fading for sale sign. I had no broker, no ugly negotiations, and I'll have no more sleepless nights worrying about her. If he keeps her and enjoys her, I'll be happy, and if he sells her at a profit I'll be happy for him, because he's a friend. My dad told me, "the best deal is a deal that makes both parties happy." This was a very good deal!
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigelowp Posted - 07/01/2021 : 14:52:16
Steve: PS thanks for all you have done, and continue to contribute to this association!
bigelowp Posted - 07/01/2021 : 14:50:42
Steve -- on so many fronts my heart goes out. I dread when, eventually, I will end sailing -- and boating. Covid has been a game changer for so many, and rarely for the better. Please stay well and safe -- we all age! But, on a better note: I owned a 1971 MGB covetable for two decades and understand the thrill during one gives.
Derek Crawford Posted - 07/01/2021 : 08:40:37
Thanks GaryB. My health problems preclude any physical activities. In addition, the Hill Country Yacht Club has closed its doors, Canyon Lake Marina is almost all power boats, and LCYC still has that steep hill to climb from the marina. I had a great 25 years with some wonderful memories (and one or two lows...) I got to sail and race at a few sites around the Country, including the Columbia River, Great Salt Lake (a very different experience), Lake Erie and the Chesapeake. Even made 2 Gulf of Mexico crossings in a 50' Catamaran.
Now it's time to sit back, relax and open a bottle of wine...
GaryB Posted - 06/30/2021 : 16:26:07
I'm hoping to be boat-less before the end of summer. Will be the first time in 30+ years for myself.

Steve, while things have created a change in your life stay active and enjoy your cars.

Hope you peek in occasionally and continue to contribute to this forum! As mentioned by others, we've all enjoyed your contributions and knowledge over the years.

GaryB Posted - 06/30/2021 : 16:20:35
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

I second Buzz's comment. Being boatless sucks.

I can fix that for you Derek. I'm just down the road in Houston and I have a trailer.
Derek Crawford Posted - 06/22/2021 : 08:46:07
"I'll bet you looked snazzy back in the day, with your Peaky Blinders plaid cap, white, flowing scarf and driving gloves."
Steve, I was a poverty-stricken student - I couldn't afford any of these!
Steve Milby Posted - 06/21/2021 : 20:43:26
Thanks Henk and Johanna, Derek, Buzz and Dave.
zeil Posted - 06/21/2021 : 17:01:13
ahhh... Steve Even though we haven't been boating as long as you, we know the feeling well of being boat-less. You did a nobel thing to value all the years she gave you and gracefully pass her on for new adventures.

After a short motor boat spurt followed by a boat-less period I came to realize that tinkering with everything to do with boats is what keeps me interested. I spent the majority of my time with everything else but being on the water in the driveway, searching, looking investigating, finding, learning, tinkering, reading and talking about our petit quality cruisers.

Personally I enjoyed your valued reactions, comments, pointers, directions and observations during the years we participated on this forum. I sincerely hope that without having a boat to worry about, you'll continue to stay active here and keep on providing your much appreciated input

Steve Milby Posted - 06/21/2021 : 09:19:35
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

Steve, my 2nd car was a 1937 MG TA. I had to take it to the MG factory about every month to get the carbs retuned (fortunately I was at Birmingham (UK) university at the time) It was fun to drive so I know your feelings.

The older ones were notorious for problems with synchronizing multiple carbs, but they must have fixed it by the 1960s and later. (Each carb fed two cylinders of the engine, and if they weren't synchronized, two cylinders would be running strong and two would be weak.) I'll bet you looked snazzy back in the day, with your Peaky Blinders plaid cap, white, flowing scarf and driving gloves.

An MG Midget P Type finished 16th at Le Mans in 1937. It had a 43 hp engine. Today it would have a hard time keeping up with traffic. My 1970's vintage cars have 70-90 hp, and even they struggle to keep up.
Derek Crawford Posted - 06/21/2021 : 08:12:35
Steve, my 2nd car was a 1937 MG TA. I had to take it to the MG factory about every month to get the carbs retuned (fortunately I was at Birmingham (UK) university at the time) It was fun to drive so I know your feelings.
Steve Milby Posted - 06/20/2021 : 19:05:54
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Little did we know you were a full-on car-guy! Easier on the body than sailing, except for the crawling underneath part...

When you have to change your lifestyle, you have to find something new that interests you. When you sold your sailboat, you had Sarge built, got your Captains license and conducted tours. I got hooked on old cars. The most challenging thing about them for an old man is crawling in and out of the driver's seat, especially the MG Midget, but if it's fun, you'll figure out a way, and you won't mind it if you see someone laugh as you struggle to get out in the supermarket parking lot. There's nothing wrong with having fun and enjoying life as long as we can.

I do repairs that can be done while leaning over a fender. The pros do the repairs that require a hoist or prolonged sitting on one's haunches.
Stinkpotter Posted - 06/20/2021 : 10:58:20
Little did we know you were a full-on car-guy! Easier on the body than sailing, except for the crawling underneath part...
Steve Milby Posted - 06/19/2021 : 17:13:03
I don't know about that John, but even though the sailing "dream" is over, I'm still having fun.
Peregrine Posted - 06/19/2021 : 15:34:16
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

Covid shut down racing on the Bay last year, as well as much recreational boating, so I stayed in Ohio last summer. If we couldn't race or sail or party or dine in restaurants, I didn't fancy the thought of being cooped up in a boat all summer. I think the more sedentary lifestyle forced on us by Covid was extremely harmful, especially for those of us beyond "a certain age."

I plan to crew in races on Brookville Lake this summer. That was where I sailed for almost 25 years, before going to the Chesapeake. There's a high bluff at one end of the lake that they named "Milby Mountain" after I left. I'm not sure why, but I think it was because it blocked everyones' wind except mine. I figured out when it would block the wind and when it would actually accelerate the wind. When they were becalmed on the other side of the lake, I'd be rail-down by the bluff.

I'll also be driving my Harley and my small fleet of antique cars. Currently I have a replica of a 1952 MG TD, a 1974 MGB, an MG Midget, a beautiful 1972 Triumph TR6 that was restored from the frame up, a 1977 Ford T Bird, and a 1980 Triumph Spitfire street rod, with a very souped up Chevy V6 engine, a Camaro 5 speed transmission and a Toyota Supra rear end. Oh yeah, and it has dual cherry bomb mufflers that split the air when she accelerates hard through the gears. The cars are all in very good condition inside and out, and mechanically sound, and I drive them all regularly to car shows or just to the supermarket. I'm still having fun, but just in different ways.

Gee no one is cooler than you are they?
Steve Milby Posted - 05/09/2021 : 18:09:36
Covid shut down racing on the Bay last year, as well as much recreational boating, so I stayed in Ohio last summer. If we couldn't race or sail or party or dine in restaurants, I didn't fancy the thought of being cooped up in a boat all summer. I think the more sedentary lifestyle forced on us by Covid was extremely harmful, especially for those of us beyond "a certain age."

I plan to crew in races on Brookville Lake this summer. That was where I sailed for almost 25 years, before going to the Chesapeake. There's a high bluff at one end of the lake that they named "Milby Mountain" after I left. I'm not sure why, but I think it was because it blocked everyones' wind except mine. I figured out when it would block the wind and when it would actually accelerate the wind. When they were becalmed on the other side of the lake, I'd be rail-down by the bluff.

I'll also be driving my Harley and my small fleet of antique cars. Currently I have a replica of a 1952 MG TD, a 1974 MGB, an MG Midget, a beautiful 1972 Triumph TR6 that was restored from the frame up, a 1977 Ford T Bird, and a 1980 Triumph Spitfire street rod, with a very souped up Chevy V6 engine, a Camaro 5 speed transmission and a Toyota Supra rear end. Oh yeah, and it has dual cherry bomb mufflers that split the air when she accelerates hard through the gears. The cars are all in very good condition inside and out, and mechanically sound, and I drive them all regularly to car shows or just to the supermarket. I'm still having fun, but just in different ways.
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/09/2021 : 14:01:27

Well, things change, and life marches on... I didn't realize your C&C was on the hard last year. What's going to fill the hole in the water?

A combination of changes in my life led me to "go over to the Dark Side" 14 years ago after roughly 60 years of sailing one thing or another--hard to believe it's been 14 years. It's more of a social activity now--exploring places, cocktail cruises, watching classics and tall ships approaching and leaving the Mystic Seaport... While I'm no longer "already there", there are lots of "theres" in easy reach around here (as on the Chesapeake). But the countdown on this has begun as well... I've thought about downsizing to a little center console--maybe even a RIB--and naming her "Last Boat III". I can't yet imagine my slip outside my door being empty.

A neighbor here, with the slip next to mine, would love to buy Sarge, but I can't imagine having her sitting there belonging to somebody else! (I helped design her and had her built.) Life........

Will you still be crewing?
Derek Crawford Posted - 05/09/2021 : 08:42:53
I second Buzz's comment. Being boatless sucks.
Buzz Maring Posted - 05/09/2021 : 08:04:47
Wow, Steve ... 'not sure how to express my reaction to your news. I certainly understand how things unfolded, and I think you made the right choice. Still, it's sad to think that one of our most experienced sailors and BEST contributors to this site is now "boatless."

PLEASE don't go anywhere. You are a MAJOR asset to the sailing community, and we need and appreciate your input!

'Later ... Buzz

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page