Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Catalina Direct Bimini

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
C25BC Posted - 04/19/2021 : 06:40:24
I’m looking at ordering a Bimini from CD. For anyone that has one, does it interfere with pop top operation? I would order the feet for the Genoa track as well for freedom of movement .
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
islander Posted - 05/18/2021 : 14:09:25
Yep..https://www.google.com/search?q=Bimini+Top+Slide+Tracks&oq=bimini&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j46i275i433j69i59l2j46i433j0i433j46i433j0l3.12412j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
C25BC Posted - 05/16/2021 : 14:55:58
I’ve never been able to figure out how to download photos to this site .
GaryB Posted - 05/15/2021 : 20:09:12
quote:
Originally posted by C25BC

I assembled and installed the Carver Bimini from CD yesterday. A tip for anyone ordering the stainless steel frame, bring a drill and 3/16” bit , the stainless comes with rivets and rivet gun instead instead of screws and some of the holes are undersized and some don’t line up, so a quick pass with the drill makes it work. I Assembled it on a tarp at our marina, given its size it was easier then transporting assembled for me.
It will take some getting used to. Going for a sail today with it on. I will reserve further negative comments.

Love to see some pictures when you get a chance.
C25BC Posted - 05/15/2021 : 09:24:26
I assembled and installed the Carver Bimini from CD yesterday. A tip for anyone ordering the stainless steel frame, bring a drill and 3/16” bit , the stainless comes with rivets and rivet gun instead instead of screws and some of the holes are undersized and some don’t line up, so a quick pass with the drill makes it work. I Assembled it on a tarp at our marina, given its size it was easier then transporting assembled for me.
It will take some getting used to. Going for a sail today with it on. I will reserve further negative comments.
vagabond85 Posted - 05/12/2021 : 12:28:41
Thanks for the help, this thread has been super helpful

islander Posted - 05/12/2021 : 07:55:59
And CD has been working remotely during this pandemic. If you call them you will be talking to someone that is home and using a remote computer.
Steve Milby Posted - 05/12/2021 : 07:13:41
Regardless of any shortcomings they might have, CD is still an invaluable resource for hard-to-find replacement parts and information. Between Catalina, CD and this forum, an owner can find an answer to practically any question, and, more often than not, we're even helpful.
islander Posted - 05/12/2021 : 05:45:16
I believe I used 18" tracks. I cant remember if I had to cut them but if you need to its easy. The tracks are in 3 pieces. The main track and 2 removable end caps. If needed you can just cut the main track to size then put the caps back on.
vagabond85 Posted - 05/11/2021 : 17:00:39
to Islander:

Great pics on the bimimi top, how long is the track you installed in front of your winch? I am looking to do the same and order from https://boatcoversoutlet.com/

their prices are 1/2 what they quoted from CD and very nice people, the sales folks at CD have been curt and dismissive over the past few years, not sure what changed there
islander Posted - 05/08/2021 : 07:42:14
quote:
Natalie is going to get back with me on Monday with a price on the bow and a new pacific blue skin.

Gary, I will be curious as to what they quote you.
GaryB Posted - 05/07/2021 : 19:25:36
Well, I decided to try Carver again on a replacement bow and got in touch with a very nice lady that advised I CAN get a replacement bow but I have to go thru a dealer. She suggested boatcoversdirect.com. Contacted them and Natalie is going to get back with me on Monday with a price on the bow and a new pacific blue skin. I'll advise when I get some numbers in case anyone ever needs to know in the future.
C25BC Posted - 05/07/2021 : 06:58:48
That’s exactly where we are . Valley Custom Covers is the best around here and I have talked to them, they custom make everything and like to have the boat in there yard . The price delivered from CD was about the same and it seemed quicker and easier , oddly enough. Plus I was interested in the T track mounting system although I guess I can order the feet separately and have the Bimini fitted .
GaryB Posted - 05/06/2021 : 15:46:34
Angus,

After reading your measurements above and re-measuring what's left of my frame it "appears" the Carver #A4681UB fits our boat with dimensions of 46"H x 6'L. This model fits widths of 79" to 84" per Carver. This is apparently what I had on my boat for over 10 years. The model above is for the aluminum frame like mine and I didn't have any issues with it except a strap breaking during a storm. I grabbed it many times when moving about and it is shaky but it never bent and I never fell (others may not have the same experience).

As mentioned by others stainless would be more stable but considerably higher price

BTW... from Carver's website - you can cut the frame down several inches if you need to adjust the height to fit under the boom.

Using Carver's website to find online retailers boatcoversoutlet.com has the best price:

$465.07 with free freight if you get it in aluminum (I priced shop the online retailers on Carver's website).

$780.07 with free freight if you want it in stainless steel (I did not price shop the stainless)

https://www.carvercovers.com/find-a-dealer/?zip=98226

I'm not exactly sure where Harrison Lake is but I think it's near Chilliwack. If it is this is the closest Carver Dealer. There are many more in the Vancouver, Surrey, Abbotsford area.

Valley Custom Covers.com
49228 Castleman Rd.
Chilliwack, BC V2P6H4
(604) 794-7957

GaryB Posted - 05/06/2021 : 14:27:05

quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

My boat has a new Carver Cover brand bimini when I bought it. It was Sunbrella fabric and lasted over 10 years. I highly recommend them. You can get them with aluminum or stainless steel tubing.

They are sold online or many boat dealers around the country can order them for you.

I haven't used them but Boat Covers Direct sells them and seem to have pretty good prices.

[quote]Originally posted by C25BC
Turns out Catalina Direct Bimini’s are made by Carver.

Cool! I really liked mine until a storm broke one of the straps and then someone came along and "borrowed" half of one of the bows. Drilled the rivets out and took half! Left the shavings in the cockpit sole. Takes some... to do that.

I called Carver a couple different times to see if I could just order a replacement bow but they said no. I'd have to go thru a dealer and they would need to know exactly which model bimini I had. Unfortunately the tag is faded out and I cannot figure out which model mine was.

I'd suggest you contact a local boat dealer that sells Carver and order thru them. At least check with someone local not only to support a local dealer but to see if possibly they might have a better price than CD.
C25BC Posted - 05/04/2021 : 06:06:19
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

My boat has a new Carver Cover brand bimini when I bought it. It was Sunbrella fabric and lasted over 10 years. I highly recommend them. You can get them with aluminum or stainless steel tubing.

They are sold online or many boat dealers around the country can order them for you.

I haven't used them but Boat Covers Direct sells them and seem to have pretty good prices.

Turns out Catalina Direct Bimini’s are made by Carver .

islander Posted - 04/25/2021 : 17:39:28
Your correct, It's the furling line and the location works well. My PO had a small cleat mounted to the side of the coaming for the line but I found it too awkward to work with so I put the cam cleat on. You can see the cleat in the second photo. The Bimini can slide back farther but the mainsheet would have to be disconnected from the boom. When at anchor it can go back to the backstay. I don't see a need to move it around while sailing. I just set it back as far as the mainsheet allows.

glivs Posted - 04/25/2021 : 16:24:04
Scott, From your photos there is a small diameter line (blue fleck) running to a cam cleat on the port side. I assume that is your furling line. If so, how do you like that location? I really dislike my set up and am looking to change it this spring. Thanks.

Also..do the tracks for the bimini frame allow you to adjust the bimini fore and aft only when not under sail, i.e. when the mainsheet is not a concern? Thanks again.
GaryB Posted - 04/25/2021 : 14:12:26
quote:
Originally posted by islander

quote:
if mounted on Genoa tracks, which seems like a good way to attach

The draw back to mounting on the T Track is that the legs of the Bimini will block you from going forward along the sides. You will have to shimmy through and over the companion way to go forward. That was a big reason why I mounted my Bimini om top of the coaming on sliders. Just something to consider.

Good point.

As mentioned earlier mine was mounted on the side of the coaming. Looking at your pics mine was mounted 2 - 3“ behind where yours is mounted. It was a pain to slide past it when going forward. My boat has all lines led to the cockpit so dealing with the 150 was when it created the issue. Once I got a furler it wasn’t such a problem since I no longer needed to go forward. Especially if I didn’t raise the main.
islander Posted - 04/25/2021 : 12:38:32
quote:
if mounted on Genoa tracks, which seems like a good way to attach

The draw back to mounting on the T Track is that the legs of the Bimini will block you from going forward along the sides. You will have to shimmy through and over the companion way to go forward. That was a big reason why I mounted my Bimini om top of the coaming on sliders. Just something to consider.

C25BC Posted - 04/25/2021 : 08:51:35
At boat yesterday, measured 84” wide 46” high if mounted on Genoa tracks, which seems like a good way to attach l
GaryB Posted - 04/23/2021 : 14:21:05
What’s left of my aluminum bimini frame measures 84” in a relaxed position (not attached to the boat). When it was on the boat it was attached to the outside of the coaming and if I remember correctly was attached about a foot back from the cabin and was pinched in just slightly. I had sliders that would fit on the t-track but never installed them. The Bimini would have also fit on the sliders with no problem and the frame would have been in a relaxed position.

So at least on an ‘89 84 inches seems to be about the right width if mounting in the same position as mine. Farther back you might have to order a slightly narrower frame.
dmpilc Posted - 04/23/2021 : 08:05:18
since you will want to sail with a bimini up, who wouldn't, you will want it positioned just behind the boom vang and in front of the mainsheet. It should not interfere with the pop-top while at anchor. Never sail with the pop-top up. It is very heavy, as you know from trying to raise it up. Dangerous if it comes loose from the mast and falls. I do recommend getting one wide enough to attach to cars on the genoa track, OR narrow enough to mount on the cockpit coaming. I moved ours from the C-22 to the C-25, while we had her, and it attached to mounts on the deck between the coaming and the genoa track., which made it somewhat difficult to go forward.

Stinkpotter Posted - 04/22/2021 : 20:50:36
I very highly recommend a SS frame and deck anchors—you never know when it might be a handhold or “body-hold.” I had mine made in Canada and shipped to CT about 17 years ago—sorry I don’t remember by whom.
GaryB Posted - 04/22/2021 : 17:26:04

islander Posted - 04/22/2021 : 03:58:23
Definitely measure. It has to clear the boom and the mainsheet if you want it up while sailing.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page