Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Main Halyard released to top of mast

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
redeye Posted - 09/03/2019 : 05:06:59
The main halyard came undone from the mainsail and zip, up to the top of the mast. Always said I would put a bass lure in a box and keep it onboard, and didn't. Sometime this week using a bass lure tied to the jib halyard to try to hook the main halyard to the lure and pull it back down.

Actually not the bass lure with the treble hooks, they hook everything. I've gonna try the saltwater mackerel rig with the big single hook first.

Then back to the trebles......

And changing out the connection to the headboard to a screw shut/secured carabiner.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
redeye Posted - 11/13/2019 : 05:31:23
<< I’ve never found anything cheep at a Bass Pro Shop! >>

I go by about once a year ... We spent about $4000 putting together a bay boat from Craigs List and I love looking at Pro shops $27,000 Bay Boats.

Always a laugh!
Voyager Posted - 11/12/2019 : 15:38:00
Ray, I’ve never found anything cheep at a Bass Pro Shop!,
On that 20ft extension ladder, you can have my nonexistent life insurance policy. All $0.00MM of it!
redeye Posted - 11/12/2019 : 06:24:05
I've been mulling this "fishing Lure" thing over in my head for a year now about how to keep the lure on the boat and I've decided to try to find a thin lure, cut off the front and middle treble hooks and find a medal cigar tube to keep it in onboard.

I found the Lure cheep, on sale at Bass Pro shops. Now on to the cigar shop.
redeye Posted - 10/31/2019 : 10:28:32
<< good reason to use a knot on the halyard shackle instead of a splice >>

I really couldn't agree more. Very important to be able to get that halyard back down.

Plastic ball ( so the knot will not get jammed into the slot at the top ) and a knot for me.

Hard to see but full disclosure, the jib halyard has a plastic ball on it and the tape and fishing lure are projecting out from the jib line because of the black plastic ball..

Then I would bring the lure to the top, and twirl the halyard counterclockwise till the lure spun around to the main halyard knot and pull the line up and down till it grabbed the knot.

MattL Posted - 10/25/2019 : 07:57:23
Wait a minute, I’m still reeling about someone using a 20’ extension ladder to climb their mast. Can I have your life insurance policy?
Stinkpotter Posted - 10/24/2019 : 08:18:40
Looks like a good reason to use a knot on the halyard shackle instead of a splice--something for a fish-hook to grab.

I thought that was Mississippi Chrome... (I was born in Alabama.)
AlMo Posted - 10/24/2019 : 01:42:49
I've used a boatswains chair with some success, too.
redeye Posted - 10/21/2019 : 04:47:45
OK got the halyard down. Had to send the bass lure up about 5 times with variations on the location of the lure and the final addition of the Alabama Chrome ( duct tape ) and got it.

All Hail the treble hook! I had cut the middle treble hook off this lure and now to cut off the front hook and find a small box to keep it in on the boat.

And yep that shackle looks about beat...missing a pin. I guess I can understand why it failed.

FINALLY got out to sail it was windless and 94 degrees all Sept.
dasreboot Posted - 09/11/2019 : 10:51:10
quote:
Originally posted by redeye

V ( to help the aged get out of their box )

Well then you have to help me, I'm 51! Still cant believe it. So old I almost always use low speed on the winch.
islander Posted - 09/11/2019 : 07:48:52
Ray, If you don't like safety wiring the D shackle then a little blue locktite on the threads then tighten it up with a wrench or pliers. Chances of that opening on it's own are next to none.
Voyager Posted - 09/11/2019 : 07:09:31
I’m not much of a marlinspike kind of a guy, so I’ve never done an eye at the end of a halyard. I’m more of knot guy.
That’s why I use a screw D shackle similar to Scott’s and Ray’s but I simply tied it on using a clove or full hitch (if memory serves).
My ace in the hole is that I seize the bitter end of the knot with a light line wrapping it to the bight.
While nothing is perfect, this approach seems to be holding just fine.
I could tie a bowline with a long bitter end and use that as a shackle, but without a belt, plus suspenders, I’m not sure that I’d trust it to not work itself free at the worst possible moment.
redeye Posted - 09/10/2019 : 04:45:07
Very Good Point! I made some up and didn't even think about using them. Once again the value of this forum ( to help the aged get out of their box )

AND if I use a soft shackle and it gets away again, that much easier to retrieve with the Bass Lure.
dasreboot Posted - 09/10/2019 : 03:19:49
I'm beginning to think more and more that stuff like this ans soft shackles are the way to go

redeye Posted - 09/09/2019 : 05:15:56
<< use a D shackle with a screw in pin and safety wire it >>
that's a thought but I find the "safety Wire" turns into meat hooks and might tear the sail.
And without that crossbar in the halyard shackle you can lose them and drop the pin. I do have a shorter shackle that has indententations in the side that locks the pin when you tighten it, Never seen that in a shackle. I'll try to get a picture.

but I think spreading the halyard shackle a bit will probably be sufficient.

islander Posted - 09/05/2019 : 16:16:06
you could use a D shackle with a screw in pin and safety wire it through the hole in the pin.
redeye Posted - 09/05/2019 : 10:28:06
<< but if you choose a better shackle, it won't >>

Using the same Stainless Steel Halyard Shackle I've used all my life. Never failed before. But I guess we bumped it and opened the bail and didn't notice.

On my Jib halyard I went with a bigger opening with a Carabiner on the new jib, although I didn't like it it seems to work fine.. locks shut with a part that turns and covers the opening slot. I expect I will look for the same design on the main halyard and a new plastic ball.

Using a BlackDiamond Rocklock Screwgate carabiner for the jib halyard. And now that I look at it I can't imagine it would last in saltwater environment. My old shackle would not fit my new jib head, and a bigger Stainless shackle was gonna be pretty heavy, so I went with the carabiner. It sure doesn't look right and the pin probably will rust out with time. Probably steel. But the carabiner is light.

Hmmmm.. now that I look at the image of the halyard shackle, maybe it was a maintenance problem, if the sides get compressed with time it might not lock shut as well. I may have to spread the sides open some.
Stinkpotter Posted - 09/05/2019 : 09:25:01
If it happens "at lake", you sail home on the genny or motor in--but if you choose a better shackle, it won't. I can't think of much a treble would hook going up or down--there's obviously no sail in the way. The trick will be getting it close enough to the shackle. If you can't, I'd try a piece of coat hanger wire bent to about an 80 degree angle, with the horizontal part long enough to reach, and tape the vertical part to the halyard...
redeye Posted - 09/05/2019 : 08:38:28
Well.. I've decided I'm gonna try the technique with a bass lure tied to the jib halyard with a downhaul and a 80 lb fishing line tied to the lure to jamb up there and see if it grabs the main halyard.

To try to learn the technique that I would have to resort to if it happened out of port and I needed to get it down "at Sea" ( or "at Lake" in my case )

I will keep you posted.....
Enchantment II Posted - 09/03/2019 : 11:04:36
I have done that in the past. I used two pieces ov PVC pipe glued together with a hook on the end. I used the other (Genoa Halyard) as a guide to control the pvc pipe, worked great.
Voyager Posted - 09/03/2019 : 06:17:01
Ray,
FWIW I have a 20ft extension ladder that I can use to reach the steaming lights and spreaders. When I climbed up there last time I tried to reach the mast top with my West Marine 12 ft boat pole. I could just make it, although the vertigo almost did me in.
You might try a hook on the end of the pole.
Another possible option is to use your jib halyard. I hooked my boat pole to the jib halyard and connected a line to the far end of the pole to control its angle of attack. I hoisted it up and the hook grabbed the part I was after to twist it into correct position.
You might try something along those lines.

P.S.: just make sure to rig a down haul on thejib halyard

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page