Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Spring maintenance- aft Bulkhead

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FrankV Posted - 03/13/2023 : 15:16:49
-I replaced the boot on the rudder system. PIA
-I replaced my bilge pump. The kit was almost as much as a new one.

I took the aft bulkhead out to do this. Does it serve any purpose? There is a ton of room in the stern blocked by this thing. I am thinking of making a simple curtain to hang down.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alippold Posted - 04/16/2023 : 12:15:04
I also removed my bulkhead years ago. Haven't done anything special with the extra space but it makes access to battery and steering system simpler.
jjfog Posted - 04/16/2023 : 10:09:34
John, Thank you for your post. I removed mine years ago for better access and haven't noticed any issues, but always wondered if it would be a problem. I might add some support in the future that would still allow easy access to all the wiring, etc.
WK 727 Posted - 03/17/2023 : 15:56:19
Frank, the bulkhead on the C250 is more of a cosmetic partition and isn't structural. Think of a monocoque bulkhead that can absorb tension or compression forces from the hull. Ours is bolted in with a handful of screws timidly in fiberglass providing little structural support to the hull. I took my "bulkhead" out last year when I changed out the steering system and wanted to inspect it while sailing or be able to make adjustments on the fly. Taking it out had no impact for me. But to Zeil's comment, any structure tied to the hull certainly helps to stiffen it. Look forward to seeing your modifications.
zeil Posted - 03/14/2023 : 09:18:58

Exactly my thought... However the bulkhead certainly helps to stiffen and reinforce the stern-end of the C250. The bulkhead does hide electrical, battery, steering cable components and other service stuff which a curtain could hide as well and.. will provide much easier access.

One could include a couple of uprights between deck and hull at equal spaces and curtain the rest.
slacker Posted - 03/14/2023 : 08:28:04
I would agree about the unused space in the stern. It would be interesting to find out what the people who gutted and remodeled the inside of their boats did with that space. My boat has a septic tank on the port side but there is still a lot of open area on the starboard side

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page