Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Cockpit PortLight install

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DavidCrosby Posted - 03/29/2022 : 19:36:52
My big project for this year is the addition of cockpit portlights. I hit the jackpot. I found a pair of brand new Lewmar Opening PortLights on Sailing Anarchy. They were originally bought for a Catalina 30 about 10 years ago and were never installed. These things sell for about $350 each. I got two including shipping for $350. They were still in their original packaging.

These are size #3.
Exterior = 7 1/2" x 17 11/16"
Cut Out = 6 3/4" x 16 3/4"

I feel that this is the maximum size that can be installed in the C250wk. The C250wb cockpit height is lower than the C250wk and there is a bend in the wall just above the window top. If the C250wb has the bend at the same place they may not fit flush in a C250wb.

Here is a photo journal of the install process.

1st I made a female template out of a piece of plywood to make sure that the portlight would fit within the hole.

I then checked the fit:

And checked again - this time with the interior mounting frame in place:

Next, I cut a piece of Luan to create a male template. This is the actual cutting guide. I checked to see how it fit within the female template:

In this photo I am taking measurements to make sure the window is level.

The exterior dimension template is taped in place. Note that I drilled two small holes through the interior and exterior templates, so that I could check fit inside the cabin.

Here is the template in place inside.

The interior template then went back outside for marking of the cut line. Not shown, I took the exterior template and checked it on the inside of the cabin to make sure that the frame overlap was not going to hit anything (curvature of the liner, etc.).

I then taped a box to the inside of the cabin cut area to collect the dust and debris.

Using a 3.5in hole saw I cut the four corners. I then used a vibrating saw to cut the straight lines.

Here is a view of my trial fit.

Next are two views of the finished product:

And, for the final picture. This is what I really like about our boats. While I would love to have a Catalina 310, I can bring my Catalina 250 home. Park it in the driveway and work on it where all of my tools are at. And in a few months pack it up again to drive north for a vacation on Lake Superior.

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
k3fuller Posted - 08/17/2022 : 12:19:03
Indeed, looks great!!!
Voyager Posted - 08/16/2022 : 16:21:27
David, you did the group proud. Nice work!
Commodore Posted - 08/16/2022 : 07:54:17
David,

Thank you for submitting your portlight article.
It has been published in the 2022 Mainsheet Fall edition on pages 18,19, and 20.

Fair winds, Russ Johnson
Commodore
Commodore Posted - 04/17/2022 : 18:04:35
David,

I would like to submit your project the the Mainsheet quarterly magazine.
Please contact me if you are interested.

Thanks, Russ
zeil Posted - 04/02/2022 : 09:35:04
Wow... David thank you for sharing this great modification. Having installed the 5" fixed round port lights, I'm just a little envious of your professional installation which provides even more light and certainly the ability to have greater air circulating in the aft berth area. Besides, it enhances the look and increases the functionality of an already wonderful boat.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page