Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Towing a C250 WB

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Little Wind Posted - 07/30/2024 : 10:00:56
Hey there friends,

I just had a thought about when I am ready to do a bottom job to my WB model and also reattach the centerboard. I thought maybe I can haul the boat myself right at the marina since there is a boat launch co-located there.

I don't own a trailer and was wondering just what makes up a C250 trailer? Like what, if anything, makes it special for hauling this sailboat?

If some of you out there might have experience with this, I'd appreciate your replies to enlighten me about the trailer. Also, after the ballast is dumped, what should a boat and trailer weigh? My biggest vehicle is a 2018 Kia Sedona minivan but maybe I can borrow or rent a pickup as a tow vehicle.

Even if I can haul it myself, I can't put it at my house so I will need to come up with some alternative. But that may be the easy part.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
zeil Posted - 08/02/2024 : 12:11:25

Hot dipped galvanized trailer made by "Trailrite", specifically for the C250WB complete with bunks, center board guides, hitch extension (extra) and later models with mast raising abilities included. This is a high quality trailer with open beams for cleaning to prevent rust.

Weight of the trailer and a fully equipped boat (fluids, food, tools, clothing, etc. around 5400 lbs) not including approx 10% tongue weight.

A heavier (larger) vehicle is strongly recommended especially for breaking power, sudden stops and in mountainous landscapes

Steve Milby Posted - 08/02/2024 : 10:04:01
Generally, sailboat trailers are built so that, within certain limits, the supports can be adjusted to fit any sailboat of similar size and weight. Trailers aren't built to fit specific sailboats. For example, a trailer that fits an Oday 25 can probably be adjusted to also fit a Catalina 25.
Little Wind Posted - 08/02/2024 : 05:56:53
Thanks for this info. The photos tell me that it won't be as simple as finding a common boat trailer to use; that's what I needed to know.

k3fuller Posted - 08/01/2024 : 12:09:01
I think what makes it special is the curved bunks to provide support. It's not just a simple trailer with flat bunks. Take a look over in the pictures gallery at this post: https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Gallery+2265. See his trailer info. There are other posts in there as well on the c250 site.
alippold Posted - 07/31/2024 : 14:27:02
From the manual for the 250 WB the dry displacement is 2400 lbs. The standard trailer weight is 1300 lbs. I have the standard trailer. It has boards on each side that support the boat for most of the length of the hull. There is also a support for the keel in the up position.
JB Posted - 07/31/2024 : 07:56:17
The previous owner of my Catalina 250 WK boat had a trailer made for it. It was not cheap, I believe he told me it was $7000 five or so years ago.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page