Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 sale of 25

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John Singer Posted - 08/29/2024 : 09:00:08
Time to sell my 1983 catalina 25. pop top, swing keel, std mast , no trailer. looking for approx price to advertise.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 09/03/2024 : 08:10:30
Actually, since Bruce started the story, I listed Passage here one weekday, got a call the next morning--Bill wanted to come look that day after his wife got out of work--a friend had called them about it. They couldn't make it right then, so came the next morning... They climbed around for 15-20 minutes in the slip--couldn't hide their excitement, and wrote me a check for half the price, on the spot. Bruce had not yet contacted me, but he never had a chance! The only catch was I had to sail her halfway to their home port, also on the CT shore, and they'd take her from there. My two grown daughters and I had a wonderful last day under sail.

Boats are generally more emotional selections than logical ones!

Here's the progression from the archives (sans photos)--a nice example of the camaraderie here.
Voyager Posted - 09/02/2024 : 10:05:59
I have to agree with Dave Bristle aka Stinkpotter above. When Passage went up for sale it was literally on the block for only a few days. I unfortunately waited a little too long (figuring out where to find the $) when another guy nearby snatched her. I was heartbroken, but I kept on looking. I saw a few newer, but crappier-condition, boats so I was pretty much at a standstill.
A few weeks later while kayaking in the harbor, there she was in all her spiffy glory. I talked to the new owner, not giving away that I too had bid on Passage. I said, “hey Bill, it looks like a nice boat. If you ever decide to sell, please let me know. I had my boating card.
Next season, he called me. “Hey Bruce, I hurt my back, so I’m going over to the darkside (power). Passage is for sale, you interested?”
I said, “well, maybe — all depends…” I could hardly conceal my emotions. “How much do you want?”
It was the happiest day of my life. I expressed my concern about Bill’s condition.
We agreed on an all-in price. One tip: we separated out the cost of the boat (taxable amount on the bill of sale) versus the gear - engine, sails, radios, etc and saved on taxes that way.

Last bit of advice: cabin fever! If you want to get your best price, wait until the dead of winter or early spring. That’s just about when boaters dream about their next boat and their sailing adventures ahead for the year. It’s purely an emotional response, but it’s magic. If you can wait, do.
On the flip side, as fall approaches, folks aren’t thinking about boats, there’s the kids, school, work, the holidays ahead. And boat storage costs.
This is just about the worst time of year to be selling a boat.
OLarryR Posted - 08/29/2024 : 21:25:16
Adding to what Steve mentioned "Set a price that you think will sell. There's no benefit in waiting for a few more dollars. You have to maintain it while you wait." Consider the following:

If you do get a prospective buyer but offers less than your selling price, less than you were considering accepting, you have to then weigh a number of factors: Do you need to sell it or can you continue to use it and wait to Spring 2025 to sell it ?, If you sell right now and for your asking price, then that is great! However, as we get into the Fall season and if you receive an offer less than you wanted to sell it, then consider what addl costs you would have to pay for winter slip fees or dry storage & bottom prep and continued insurance premium compared to accepting a lower offer before this season is over.

John Singer Posted - 08/29/2024 : 20:32:25
Thanks for your suggestions. Will follow up, wish me luck.
John Singer Posted - 08/29/2024 : 20:30:27
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

Boat values depend primarily on condition. A 1983 in poor condition could be a "give away" while one in excellent condition could bring top dollar. Condition often even trumps the age of the boat. We really can't hazard a guess at its value without knowing about the motor, the age and condition of sails, any upgrades, and even location matters. Check our "swap meet" for comparables. Also, check the Catalina 25 facebook group for comparables. Make a reasonable estimate of your boat's value. Don't expect to recover all your expenses. Set a price that you think will sell. There's no benefit in waiting for a few more dollars. You have to maintain it while you wait. Good luck!

Stinkpotter Posted - 08/29/2024 : 12:35:31
On Steve's suggestion... If you haven't tried our Search function (upper right in the header), you can use that to look for "C-25" in the header for posts in the Swap Meet forum. (Searching through each "entire message" will get you lots of other equipment.) Checking "Archived Posts" will take you further back in history, but of course prices have changed.

Part of your considerations should be your geographic area, within which there may be similar offerings that are not Catalinas. You can check Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, Boattrader.com, and others... As you'll see, many listings in our Swap Meet are primarily links to other online listings that include photos, which can be cumbersome to include here. But people do look in our Swap Meet.

As Steve says, condition is a big part of the perceived value, as is the "first impression"--I always recommend decluttering and a little shining up. Each of the two sailboats I sold went to the first people who looked at them, on first look, for the (not that low) asking price. The buyers couldn't hide their excitement, I think mostly because the boats looked so "nice" compared to the others on the market. (Picking out a boat is often more of an emotional thing than an analytical thing!)

Best of luck!
Steve Milby Posted - 08/29/2024 : 10:20:29
Boat values depend primarily on condition. A 1983 in poor condition could be a "give away" while one in excellent condition could bring top dollar. Condition often even trumps the age of the boat. We really can't hazard a guess at its value without knowing about the motor, the age and condition of sails, any upgrades, and even location matters. Check our "swap meet" for comparables. Also, check the Catalina 25 facebook group for comparables. Make a reasonable estimate of your boat's value. Don't expect to recover all your expenses. Set a price that you think will sell. There's no benefit in waiting for a few more dollars. You have to maintain it while you wait. Good luck!

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page