Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Anchor Roller
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/28/2017 :  09:28:13  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone installed the anchor roller upgrade from CD ? As it happens, my boat came with one when I bought it but as extra parts. Not yet installed. I don't see how to get the long tang down passed the rub rail. Can someone help me out ? I would really like to install it. Thanks.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2017 :  09:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Quite a few years ago I added an AR Bow Roller

It only bolted through the deck so no issues with the rub rail.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2017 :  11:42:56  Show Profile
The roller with the tang from CD is an upgrade to the stem fitting that's the chainplate for the forestay. It bolts through the bow so the the fitting can't be ripped up along with a piece of the deck, as we've seen here. It should have had directions for installing--CD could probably get them to you. Their site says the rubrail must be unscrewed. A few others here have installed it.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2017 :  12:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
"...so the the fitting can't be ripped up along with a piece of the deck, as we've seen here."

Did you mean to include a picture with your post?

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2017 :  13:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks Dave,

I will check with CD to see if they will help me out with destructions....LoL. And I bet Dave was referring to other posts reporting head stay chainplate failures. Which is why CD came up with this upgrade. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2017 :  13:56:50  Show Profile

Also take the opportunity to reinforce your bow eye.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2017 :  20:22:48  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Note the dogleg bend in the tang in Frank's picture; it doesn't come that way, and the material is quite stiff. It was quite an operation to get mine bent to shape (I didn't want to simply pound on it or bend it back and forth until it was approximately right; this is too important a component to compromise by abusing it into place).

It is unfortunate that it doesn't come from CD ready to bolt directly to the stem. They say: "Note: The hull/deck joint design on the Catalina 25 varied throughout the years. Visually check the shape of your boat's bow to ensure you can use this fitting on your boat. It may be necessary to fill a gap between the chainplate and the hull at the hull/deck joint with polyester filler for a tidy installation."

A plastic filler might be tidy, but it doesn't provide as much sheer resistance as a single direct connection to the hull. A stainless steel filler would be OK.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2017 :  08:36:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine

"...so the the fitting can't be ripped up along with a piece of the deck, as we've seen here."

Here's a thread with several.

Note the lack of the tang bolted to the bow below the rub-rail. Catalina had recognized this weakness by 1985 when mine was built. CD has the upgrade with or without the roller.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/29/2017 08:41:20
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2017 :  11:09:21  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:

Note the lack of the tang bolted to the bow below the rub-rail. Catalina had recognized this weakness by 1985 when mine was built. CD has the upgrade with or without the roller.

Oof... That's brutal.
The AR Bow Roller I installed is a separate unit that that does not replace any part of the fore-stay. Rather it bolts through the deck NEXT to the fore-stay.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2017 :  11:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:

Oof... That's brutal.
The AR Bow Roller I installed is a separate unit that that does not replace any part of the fore-stay. Rather it bolts through the deck NEXT to the fore-stay.

Here is a picture of Bill Holcomb's bow roller that I copied. I just mounted mine on the starboard side.

Easy installation with no issues with the fore-stay or rub-rail.
Follow Bill's post for installation details.
Red words are HOT links

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Edited by - Peregrine on 07/29/2017 11:30:58
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2017 :  12:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Back Again,

Thanks for all of your input. The primary reason I want to install my upgraded chainplate/anchor roller is for the load spreading it provides. The fact that it has an anchor roller just makes it a nice extra that I'm sure I will appreciate later. I read the post that Dave was good enough to share and am just more convinced of the need to replace it. Even more so sense my boat is a tall rig. Again, my thanks to everyone.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2017 :  18:31:33  Show Profile
I just installed that same roller. Expecting it to go smooth, however. Getting the tang thrue the rubrail is the issue. All I had was what was on the boat. Ended up bending the tang almost straight filing the crap out of the rub rail and I mean whittling with a razor knife. Then bending the tang back down to the bow. In all the bending the tang remained straight, but when I snuged the top to the deck it cocked the tang a little sideways and I didn't notice until it was all mounted. I am a little upset about that. Oh, don't forget the epoxy for the old holes that won't line up. Have fun. I might fix mine on the hard.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2017 :  05:56:05  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Ken,

And thanks. So, are you saying that you cut the rubber and the rub rail right where the tang goes...?

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page