Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Adjustable Genoa Car Lead
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/09/2017 :  12:55:18  Show Profile
So finally got some new heavy duty low lead genoa cars to replace the ones I've been using that kind of suck. They had a lot of friction and no bearing or anything. So at this point I had 4 different types of cars that I had accumulated and decided to put them to use and create a way to adjust the cars easily on the fly.

Before I go further, yes, I know this is completely overkill on a boat this size but I already had the parts so we'll see how it works and if I like or go back to the standard setup and have them locked in the track. I figured this might be nice to share if anyone was considering something similar.

At the front I located the one I usually used for my spinnaker sheets, then the new genoa leads, then ones I got on ebay awhile back with a fairlead and cam cleat, then my old genoa cars which I will now be using for my spin sheets.

So there is a line tied to the front of the leads (which are free to slide forward and back) which goes around the block in the front, returns back to the fairlead and into the cam cleat. The pressure from the sheet will naturally push the lead back as far as it can go until reaching the end of the line. So to bring the cars back to open up the leach of the sail you ease the line in the cleat until it pushes back to the desired location. Wind starts getting light, you pull that line and it will pull the car forward and close the leach of the sail. We'll see if there's enough purchase.

Also, please mind the dirt. I'm going down there this weekend to do another thorough cleaning.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2017 :  18:39:18  Show Profile
I think I have the same cars as your sheet cars. Have found that unlike the original cars I can adjust them loaded forward and backwards with little effort. Like the setup though.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2017 :  21:26:35  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
If it works this is fantastic for racing. For cruising it's not so good at all.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2017 :  04:03:47  Show Profile
I don't think it's overkill at all, and have been trying to figure out how to rig a similar system on my Cal 25, but the Cal's track is stingier than the Catalina's. Without a system like that, if you need to adjust the car under load in strong winds, it's nearly impossible.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2017 :  05:05:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Akenumber

I think I have the same cars as your sheet cars. Have found that unlike the original cars I can adjust them loaded forward and backwards with little effort. Like the setup though.

From Catalina Direct. Do you have a small jib that gives you a low angle to the clew? I would dare you to try to adjust my cars forward under load by hand. I think this is probably something that varies from boat to boat.

Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2017 :  05:33:37  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
is that the car with the ball bearings in it?

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2017 :  05:36:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

That is correct. It's the heavier duty one.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/959_407/low-lead-genoa-car-c-25-c-250-c-27-c-270-cp-26.cfm

Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2017 :  10:47:19  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DavidBuoy

quote:

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/959_407/low-lead-genoa-car-c-25-c-250-c-27-c-270-cp-26.cfm

oh sorry, i meant this where the car has ball bearings in it. I've been thinking about it, just dont know if i want to spend $300 on it.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2017 :  13:01:33  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

oh sorry, i meant this where the car has ball bearings in it. I've been thinking about it, just dont know if i want to spend $300 on it.

Oh God no. Ball bearings in the sheave but not car. I couldn't imagine spending that much money for a car.

Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2017 :  04:07:51  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
well thats for all the pieces. if you didnt already have some, then the price would have been similar. Ive got to do something about that lead block. I can't stand the double line lead block. When I first saw it, i thought it was cool. after using it, not so much. the angle is never right. Thie sheet always rubs against the edge of the thing. Ill have to replace it eventually.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2017 :  05:13:08  Show Profile
quote:

well thats for all the pieces. if you didnt already have some, then the price would have been similar. Ive got to do something about that lead block. I can't stand the double line lead block. When I first saw it, i thought it was cool. after using it, not so much. the angle is never right. Thie sheet always rubs against the edge of the thing. Ill have to replace it eventually.

Oh, I didn't realize that is was the whole adjustable system. I thought it was just the car but with bearings against the track. Now that doesn't seem like that much money. So it can handle two sheets at once? That would be nice on a cutter rig or a larger boat, but what purpose would that serve otherwise? Avoid taking out the previous sheet when changing a headsail maybe? Definitely better if theres a single lead version.

I still haven't gotten to use my setup yet and while I know this is an extremely useful/critical thing on a larger boat especially for racing, I suspect the novelty will wear off at some point for me. Probably when I'm breaking the boat down for winter and cursing the million "extras" i've rigged.

Edited by - DavidBuoy on 08/11/2017 05:13:27
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2017 :  06:28:07  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:

So it can handle two sheets at once?

naw, this is the one that handles two sheets. Its a twin sheet lead block. I guess it is a racer thing. I cant stand them. they'd probably work a lot better if we had turning blocks rather than running the sheet directly off the lead block to the winch. then they would tilt a more efficient angle with less friction.

Here is an example of a bad block angle . the sheet is rubbing on the frame, producing a lot of friction. a regular stand up block would orient itself better. a turning block at the end of the track would make the exit for the twin sheet block more longitudinal, and it would stand up with a better entry angle. I dont think these blocks are ideal for the way our boats are set up.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031

Edited by - dasreboot on 08/11/2017 06:42:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page