Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 For all U Winter landlubbers....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/18/2014 :  12:24:13  Show Profile
http://vimeo.com/88720486

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2014 :  17:10:21  Show Profile
Nice! Makes us consider a drone for the GoPro. Club members always enjoy viewing pix and videos during off season gatherings . . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

oldragbaggers
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
47 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2014 :  19:27:30  Show Profile  Visit oldragbaggers's Homepage
That was fun. Thanks for posting it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2014 :  12:22:33  Show Profile
I purchased a drone right after Christmas and it is a blast. I'm still learning to fly it but there is sooo much potential for future uses once the FAA gets it's act together and comes up with regs so these can be used for commercial purposes. It's currently illegal to use for commercial purposes.

It's an industry that is about to explode and I'm actually thinking about getting involved so I can have a 2nd career after I retire (doing something I really want to do)!

I had planned on taking close-up video of my rigging at the top of the mast this morning but inadvertently left my Go Pro camera at home. I did go ahead and practice flying it around the top of the mast. It's kind of hairy but definitely double as long as there isn't too much wind.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2014 :  15:14:11  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br />I purchased a drone right after Christmas...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">What did you get? I watched a mall demo of a helicopter with a built-in high-def video camera and a little monitor on the controller--very impressive! But to me, the safety and privacy issues could be profound! Imagine one of these things bouncing off a building and falling onto a NYC sidewalk... Or if it gets caught in a tree on my property, does it become mine??

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/22/2014 15:26:06
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2014 :  21:46:39  Show Profile
What'd anyone think about the big guy doing the penalty spin right at the mark, in maximum congestion?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2014 :  04:47:06  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />What'd anyone think about the big guy doing the penalty spin right at the mark, in maximum congestion?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">That wasn't a penalty spin. He waited too long to tack for the mark, and, when he finally tacked, he was on port tack, with no rights. He wasn't far enough ahead of the starboard tackers to cross ahead of them.

He should have ducked the smaller boat, but his mainsheet trimmer probably wasn't on his toes and able to dump the mainsheet in time, so he had to do a 360 and fall in astern of them.

The skipper didn't set himself up well for his rounding, and was pinned by the other boats when he approached the starboard tack layline. He should have tacked for the layline sooner, and timed his approach so that he would be able to find a hole that he could tuck into for the rounding. After that 360, he lost a huge amount of speed, and it would have taken him a long time to regain it, while the boats ahead pulled further ahead.

Moreover, you could see that, just before the camera shut off, he wasn't going to be able to round ahead of the next boat either, so he had a disastrous mark rounding. If the mainsail trimmer had been alert and prepared to dump the mainsheet, allowing the helmsman to duck behind the small boat instead of doing a 360, he would have had a decent rounding.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 03/23/2014 04:50:18
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2014 :  05:26:36  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br />I purchased a drone right after Christmas...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">What did you get? I watched a mall demo of a helicopter with a built-in high-def video camera and a little monitor on the controller--very impressive! But to me, the safety and privacy issues could be profound! Imagine one of these things bouncing off a building and falling onto a NYC sidewalk... Or if it gets caught in a tree on my property, does it become mine??
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The quad-copter (drone) I purchased is a Blade --&gt;&gt; [url="http://www.bladehelis.com/Multimedia/Video.aspx?vidId=LQBwB6AwdS8"]350QX[/url]

<i><font size="1">But to me, the safety and privacy issues could be profound! Imagine one of these things bouncing off a building and falling onto a NYC sidewalk...</i></font id="size1">

There are idiots and irresponsible people everywhere (get on any road in any town and you will see one). These things can be flown very safely if the people operating them use common sense and remain aware of their surroundings as well as peoples privacy.

<i><font size="1">Or if it gets caught in a tree on my property, does it become mine?? </font id="size1"></i>

Only if you get to it before I do!

Honestly, I think these things will be huge in the aerial photography and real estate industries in the near future. In the past people or companies that wanted their homes or property photographed from the air had to hire an aerial photographer with an air plane to take the photos and then wait for a day with the right conditions to get the best photos.

Once the FAA gets the regs written (if written properly) one can hire a drone-ographer (my word) who could go out the same day and get the video or photos in 20 - 30 minutes at a fraction of the cost of an aerial photographer! In addition, many unique perspectives (flights thru outdoor patios or cabanas, close ups of roofs to see the condition, etc...) could be done that would be impossible using an airplane.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was planning on do a close up visual inspection of rigging at the top of my mast. Until I do it I won't know how much one could see so the jury is still out on this use but it's an idea of a possible use.

Edited by - GaryB on 03/23/2014 05:56:58
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2014 :  08:01:28  Show Profile
Hmmmmmm... There are two Blade retailers right in my neighborhood... I'm in trouble now!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2014 :  08:13:13  Show Profile
Yepper... Thanks Steve for that commentary... That is exactly what I was thinking when I saw this video.. ( Not your comments ) but the view provides a great way to review the race. Really cool for someone who knows what is probably happening.

Quite a lot of risk if that drone hits the salt water....it's fried.

Hmmm... I wonder how long before they have a waterproof drone, and/or auto rotates before it hits the water.. I understand they auto return.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2014 :  10:27:42  Show Profile
In most circumstances the Blade 350 will return to home automatically if it loses radio signal from the transmitter but in certain circumstances it will land itself where-ever it is if it loses signal.

Do it Dave, Do it!!!

Here's a boating video filmed with a quad-copter.

Edited by - GaryB on 03/23/2014 17:30:44
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2014 :  10:49:13  Show Profile
Thanks Steve--that makes more sense. I didn't look that hard at it. I just assumed at first glance that a ref and "thrown a flag."

I've spectated the huge Stamford-Denmark Friendship Race here on Long Island Sound a few times--hundreds of boats of all sizes, with some Danish royals on one of them... Once a maxi named Boomerang (90'+) approached the mark where I was hanging out, along with a considerable number of smaller boats (down to about 22')--he approached and rounded with about 100' to spare, obviously to avoid getting pinned by any of those little guys. He probably wouldn't have been as generous if there'd been a few other maxis nearby.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2014 :  15:51:29  Show Profile
So I spoke with people at Blade today. I asked when using "return home" function - does the copter return to near the remote control or to the GPS coordinates from where it took off. "The latter" he replied. So even if we launch it when we are at anchor and the wind shifts - we couldn't use the "return home" function I explained. "Yeah" he replied . . . "you'll need lots of practice before using it over water to bring it back to your boat."

He was watching the Pigeon Vision video as we were talking - he was pretty impressed . . . even though I don't think they use a Blade product.

Edited by - OJ on 04/22/2014 15:52:22
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2014 :  16:07:23  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br />In most circumstances the Blade 350 will return to home automatically if it loses radio signal from the transmitter but in certain circumstances it will land itself where-ever it is if it loses signal.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Wonder when someone will come out with a floatation collar!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2014 :  19:34:10  Show Profile
I'll probably get one of [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49YUGcqgzOo"]these[/url] first... (Watch the cat!)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2014 :  05:56:56  Show Profile
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaBNm5kanZU"]Kinda like the swimmers reaction.[/url]

The fish out west are a little bigger aren't they..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page