Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Adventures in Trailering
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/17/2014 :  20:53:38  Show Profile
I think I'll actually post a more complete version of my tale of woe on the Cruising Forum since it will be a little long. Broke my trailer in Montgomery, AL just over a week ago and got Pearl home this evening. It turns out that Montgomery is a much more interesting place than I had thought. The summary is that an argument with a serious pothole resulted in a broken bracket on the rear crossmember and immediate failure of said crossmember. That is not a good thing since my aft roller sets are attached to it. (More details and numerous preceding and subsequent events....). The outcome is a substantially improved trailer for a ridiculously low price, a new appreciation of Montgomery, and a recommended shop. B&K National, they normally work on 18 wheelers but would be happy to work on our little trailers.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 04/23/2014 10:46:54

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2014 :  21:06:17  Show Profile
So Pearl is OK? That's what counts. I'm glad you had a good outcome in my birth state.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  05:31:07  Show Profile
Glad everything came out OK. Thank God for small businesses willing to take on a different challenge from their normal day-to-day stuff.

I'm not real familiar with the climate in Alabama, but my first reaction is that you know it's been a bad winter if Montgomery has potholes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  07:47:24  Show Profile
Yepper, was trailing a C22 through WV (enroute to trade up to a C25) when we blew a tire and ruined a rim. Didn't have a spare, drove to a small town and 10 minutes later walked out with a used tire mounted on a used rim for less than $30. They could have easily taken advantage of me.
I remember commenting a bad day with a boat is better than a good day at the office!

Edited by - OJ on 04/18/2014 07:49:39
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  08:27:41  Show Profile

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> (More details and numerous preceding and subsequent events....). The outcome is a substantially improved trailer<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Thanks for sharing and glad everything turned out well... look forward to your extended story

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  08:37:12  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
Quote: "They could have easily taken advantage of me."

When I bought my boat in Washington DC, I kicked the tires. They actually looked good. I should have looked at those valve stems. Probably should have physically checked the air pressure (Oh well).

I was trying to get the boat out of the city to find a place to have the brakes rebuilt. I did not get but about 15 miles. On a very busy interstate highway, I had a flat tire. AAA came to help. They were very helpful and the price quite reasonable. However, in the process I discovered that the other three valve stems were hanging on by a thread. The AAA guy told me where he took my tire to get it fixed. I then drove there. The guys told me that "no way, no how, were they going to touch trailer tires." I suggested, "What if I pull into that parking lot over yonder and bring them the tires one at a time?" They very strongly suggested that I go to a truck place a couple miles down the road. I did, which lead to them saying, "No! But here is the phone number to highway tire repair company. You are welcome to stay parked in our lot." $400 for the three other valve stems!!!! Thank You Washington D.C.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  12:16:22  Show Profile
I have always found welding shops regardless of location to be owned by brilliant men anxious for a challenge. Watching a welder problem solve is a privilege.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  13:08:47  Show Profile
Pearl is fine, the winch cable kept her in place without stretching enough for the safety chain to come into play. Ill tell the story in a few days. I usually get laugh out of problems beyond my control since I can't do anything but correct them and move on anyway. I should, at least, have a pretty good balance in my karma account now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5234 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  17:54:01  Show Profile
Talk about welders - true artists! One time my wife and I were driving from Atlanta to Connecticut and the muffler got loose in rural VA - the blue ridge mountain region. We got off the road and came to a little town with NOTHIN' - one fillin' station and a bad attitude. "You all ain't from around here, are ya?"
We asked whether there was a mechanic on duty - and were told he'd be in in the morning. We couldn't spend a night.
So we took our chances and got back on the interstate. Soon the muffler noise was intolerable - we had no choice - it sounded like an airplane and sure as you're born, we'd get stopped by the state patrol for noise.
We happened upon a town called Wyeth, VA. It was surely magic. There was a general store with a garage next door. In this garage was a young, talented mechanic - a welder by trade. While my wife went off to get food for the family, I explained to the mechanic what had transpired.
Being a man of few words, he put the car up on the lift and took out a pipewrench - he wrestled the pipes free and sized up the situation - the Y-pipe from the manifold had separated. The muffler was sound as were the other pipes, so he welded the Y-pipe back together. He clamped everything in place again and in 20 minutes, the car was purring like a kitten.
He could have charged me $500 if he wanted to - we were desperate. I asked him how much I owed him - he said nothin'. Piece of cake! He said it cost him only his time. I put $200 in the envelope and as I handed it to him, I told him to put it into the basket in church on Sunday. We never forgot that day in Wyeth. And the hush puppies and fried chicken next door were excellent as well!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  20:14:34  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voyager</i>
<br /> We never forgot that day in Wyeth.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Wow ... what a great story! Thanks for passing that one on ...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2014 :  10:50:12  Show Profile
I finally posted a more detailed recounting on the Cruising Forum.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page