Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 no hope for noaa radio
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/19/2014 :  04:41:22  Show Profile
Well it looks like another season coming up without NOAA radio for us in NY Western LI Sound
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
504 PM EST FRI FEB 21 2014

...NOAA WEATHER RADIO NEW YORK CITY REMAINS OUT OF SERVICE...

THE NOAA WEATHER RADIO TRANSMITTER THAT SERVES THE NEW YORK CITY
METROPOLITAN AREA CONTINUES TO CAUSE RADIO FREQUENCY INTERFERENCE ON
THE U.S. COAST GUARD CHANNEL 16 TRANSMITTER FOR INTERNATIONAL
DISTRESS...SAFETY AND RESCUE.

THE NEW YORK CITY NOAA WEATHER RADIO TRANSMITS ON A FREQUENCY OF
162.55 MHZ WHICH IS VERY CLOSE TO THE U.S. COAST GUARD CHANNEL 16
BROADCAST FREQUENCY.

AFTER MANY MONTHS OF TROUBLESHOOTING...WE ARE UNABLE TO ISOLATE THE
SOURCE OF THE INTERFERENCE PROBLEM. THEREFORE WE ARE PLANNING TO
RELOCATE THE TRANSMITTER. RELOCATION WILL TAKE AT LEAST SIX MONTHS.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT DURING THIS TIME...NOAA WEATHER RADIO
WILL BE TURNED ON TO BROADCAST LIFE SAVING WEATHER WATCHES
AND WARNINGS.

THIS INCLUDES WATCHES AND WARNINGS FOR TORNADOES...FLASH FLOODS...
AND SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS INCLUDING SPECIAL MARINE WARNINGS.
THESE BROADCASTS WILL ENSURE DISSEMINATION THROUGH THE EMERGENCY
ALERT SYSTEM...WHICH IS CARRIED BY THE BROADCAST MEDIA.

WE WILL PROVIDE UPDATES ON THE STATUS OF THE NEW YORK CITY NOAA
WEATHER RADIO TRANSMITTER THROUGH PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTS AS
MORE INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2014 :  06:35:09  Show Profile
Not fun... maybe when they get the new one up it will be the latest thing. Who knows what they will come up with.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2014 :  08:53:27  Show Profile
You can bookmark the web page for the area, http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=anz335& syn=anz300 on your phone. When things get questionable, I look at a radar loop on my phone--a moving picture is worth a million voice-synthesized words! And at least they'll still send alerts over VHF if your WX is on.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/19/2014 08:56:16
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2014 :  09:04:55  Show Profile
Relocating the transmitter will not change the transmit frequency, which is the alleged problem. They need to tune their transmitter, assuming it is analog, or change transmitting frequency to not interfere with the coasties. Considering the density of population in the ny/western LIS area I am appalled that NOAA has been allowed to be down so long and/or appropriate resources to restore service has not been made available. Blame it on the "sequester" ?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2014 :  09:55:56  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">AFTER MANY MONTHS OF TROUBLESHOOTING...WE ARE UNABLE TO ISOLATE THE
SOURCE OF THE INTERFERENCE PROBLEM. THEREFORE WE ARE PLANNING TO
RELOCATE THE TRANSMITTER. RELOCATION WILL TAKE AT LEAST SIX MONTHS.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Months my butt..This started towards the end of the 2012 season and it has taken them this long to figure out that they can't figure it out. Unbelievable to me. Yes I have resorted to calling the buoys in my area on my phone for the same localized report that they normally have on the radio plus some which gives me everything I need to know(Forecast,Wind speed, Direction etc)updated every 15 min. but it blows me away that they can send a man to the moon back in 69 but this seems to baffle them leaving a highly dense area without radio.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2014 :  10:01:14  Show Profile
I have been using sailflow for the past season, but prefer a radio v computer report

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2014 :  10:26:57  Show Profile
Calling their buoy hotline works very well. Look up the 5 digit number for the buoys in your area. For me they are Execution rocks-44022,Western Sound-44040 Central Sound-44039. Call 1888-701-8992 then punch in the buoy number that you want the report from. I keep the number on one of my speed dials.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2014 :  05:22:37  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigelowp</i>
<br />Relocating the transmitter will not change the transmit frequency, which is the alleged problem. They need to tune their transmitter, assuming it is analog, or change transmitting frequency to not interfere with the coasties...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I like to think that people are not totally incompetent, and would have tried that already. I suspect that the solution is far more complicated that simply tuning the transmitter. After living with this problem for over a year, maybe they know a little more about it than we do.

My naive speculation: In an area as highly developed as NYC, I would think that issues like building shadows, reflections, and electrical interference could play a part in the issue. Someone builds a new building nearby (like the new WTC maybe?) and things that used to work fine might suddenly start to have problems. The only way to deal with that might be to relocate the transmitter...which is actually what they say they need to do.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2014 :  06:54:34  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TakeFive</i>
<br />I like to think that people are not totally incompetent... I suspect that the solution is far more complicated that simply tuning the transmitter. After living with this problem for over a year, maybe they know a little more about it than we do.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">...or maybe even a lot. It might be that part of the problem is that the USCG can be transmitting to a distant radio, possibly a handheld radio with a tiny antenna and therefore a relatively poor rejection ratio (ability to shut out adjacent signals), in a life-or-death situation. Their own receivers are extremely sensitive in order to receive signals from that same radio. Interference takes on a different meaning in that context.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/20/2014 06:59:35
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5235 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2014 :  11:59:50  Show Profile
Two comments IMHO:
1. Why not ch4? 2&3 are used in central LISound. There may be some ch4s up in NYS, PA, NJ, but maybe not.
2. With the Ch1 transmitter on top of the Empire State Building it is likely that there are some intermodulation distortion products with other strong FM and TV signals also transmitting up there. Once corrupted, and with none of the offending signals likely to change their ERP or infrastructure, NOAA is in a stalemate on this. Physically moving the transmitter is likely their only recourse.
NOAA also transmits on CH2 Meriden CT and CH3 Upton LI NY. Don't these work in Western LIS?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2014 :  15:44:47  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">NOAA also transmits on CH2 Meriden CT and CH3 Upton LI NY. Don't these work in Western LIS?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
No Bruce. At best very faint sometimes but mostly just static. Besides the conditions you have farther east are very different from the west. I've read some of your posts and wondered if we were out on the same day. You had a great day while I was becalmed or you were getting beat up with wind and waves and I had a perfect day. Very different forcasts.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2014 :  17:17:31  Show Profile
Doesn't NOAA only forecast for the Sound west of New Haven to NY Harbor? (...and east of New Haven to me.) Yes, conditions change a lot from east to west on LIS--I'll have nice winds when both of you are looking at mirrors.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5235 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2014 :  20:04:47  Show Profile
I've lived on the border of the NYC metro and Hartford/NewHaven markets for so long I've forgotten what an embarrassment of riches we have. Ch3 and Ch1 broadcast the same signals, while Ch2 has slightly different coverage. The transmitters must be directional since the don't propagate very far west.
Ch1 talks about readings from Islip airport, execution rocks, great south bay, robins reef and mid-sound crossing while 2 describes NewHaven harbor, Shelter island, New London light, etc. I suppose I'm between two worlds.
I get USCG transmissions from Sector Long Island Sound (New Haven), South Shore of Long Island and from Sector South Eastern New England on Ch16, and occasionally New York Harbor and Raritan Bay.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2014 :  15:49:16  Show Profile
Well small miracles do happen. NYC NOAA radio (Ch 1) is up and running finally, Maybe as long as nobody complains.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
1130 AM EST WED MAR 26 2014

...NOAA WEATHER RADIO NEW YORK CITY IS BACK ON THE AIR FOR TESTING...

THE NOAA WEATHER RADIO TRANSMITTER THAT SERVES THE NEW YORK CITY
METROPOLITAN AREA IS CURRENTLY BROADCASTING. THE TRANSMITTER IS
CURRENTLY BEING TESTED TO DETERMINE IF RADIO FREQUENCY INTERFERENCE
CONTINUES ON THE U.S. COAST GUARD CHANNEL 16 TRANSMITTER FOR
INTERNATIONAL DISTRESS...SAFETY AND RESCUE.

THE NEW YORK CITY NOAA WEATHER RADIO TRANSMITS ON A FREQUENCY OF
162.55 MHZ WHICH IS VERY CLOSE TO THE U.S. COAST GUARD CHANNEL 16
BROADCAST FREQUENCY. AFTER MANY MONTHS OF TROUBLESHOOTING FREQUENCY
INTERFERENCE ISSUES...IT WAS DETERMINED TO RELOCATE THE TRANSMITTER
TO A NEW LOCATION. THE TRANSMITTER IS CURRENTLY BEING TESTED NEAR
TIMES SQUARE IN ORDER TO DETERMINE IF THE INTERFERENCE CONTINUES.

KWO-35 LISTENERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK ON THE BROADCAST
TRANSMISSION WHILE ITS BEING TESTED FOR INTERFERENCE. IF ANY
INTERFERENCE ISSUES ARE HEARD...LISTENERS SHOULD REPORT THEIR
FINDINGS VIA E:MAIL TO NWROUTAGE@NOAA.GOV. IT IS IMPORTANT TO
PROVIDE YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION AS WELL AS THE FREQUENCY IN WHICH
THE NWR BROADCAST IS INTERFERING.

NOAA WEATHER RADIO WILL CONTINUE TO BROADCAST LIFE SAVING WEATHER
WATCHES AND WARNINGS THROUGH THE TESTING PERIOD. THIS INCLUDES
WATCHES AND WARNINGS FOR TORNADOES...FLASH FLOODS...AND SEVERE
THUNDERSTORMS INCLUDING SPECIAL MARINE WARNINGS. THESE BROADCASTS
WILL ENSURE DISSEMINATION THROUGH THE EMERGENCY
ALERT SYSTEM...WHICH IS CARRIED BY THE BROADCAST MEDIA.

WE WILL PROVIDE UPDATES ON THE STATUS OF THE NEW YORK CITY NOAA
WEATHER RADIO TRANSMITTER THROUGH PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTS AS
MORE INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE.

$$<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page