Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 WB FIN
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Free Spirit
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/02/2020 :  09:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have hoisted the 250 up..The fin can be manually moved from the bottom of the boat.It swings easily. HOWEVER..Trying to use the rope in the cockpit: it is bound. It is very very difficult using the rope inside the cock pit.
The pulleys in the bottom of the boat, where the fin slides into: appear to be good. Any Ideas?

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2020 :  11:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fin? Do you mean the centerboard? Can you manually raise it using the pennant from inside? If that is very difficult then I suspect there is an issue with the cable passing through the lifting system and perhaps it is off track.

I found this post which has the images of how the system works. http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=31201&SearchTerms=centerboard

2004 250WB #781

Edited by - k3fuller on 05/04/2020 11:52:03
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2020 :  22:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here’s a related post.
It is possible the brass turning ball is frozen.
I have not replaced mine before, but this post could be helpful.
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31425

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Free Spirit
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2020 :  09:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Center board goes down easily but being under boat it is awfully hard to lift up.it is as if something binding when you lift fin up.
Go to Top of Page

Free Spirit
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2020 :  09:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting underneath the hull, the fin comes down but trying to push it up..it feels like it is binding..it is very hard to push and lift up..is there a replacement kit for this?
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2020 :  18:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can always give Catalina tech support a call and talk with them about it. There are replacement parts on Catalina Direct.
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2020 :  19:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It would be helpful if you post the age of your boat, hull number, sailed and berthed on salt or fresh water, overwintered on the trailer or in a slip.

Some center boards are notoriously hard to lift from the cockpit even with the 6:1 block arrangement.

Things others suggested are the below deck up-haul mechanism and cable running freely through the tube over the brass turning ball to the centerboard. This includes the possibility that the up-haul cable for some reason is dislocated next to the brass turning ball (between hull and brass turning ball) If that's the the case the cable will be forced over the stainless steel turning ball pin in-bedded in the hull. It will create more friction.

Also suggested is the fact that the turning ball could be frozen on the stainless steel shaft and has developed ruts from chafing caused by a non rotating turning ball.

Catalina Direct sells replacement kits. However, the kit can only be installed after the removal of the brass turning ball and stainless steel shaft in bedded in the fiberglass hull

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

davidtree
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
18 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2020 :  20:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had issues with my 1998 WB 250 and the centerboard working parts.
I have had the boat 10 years, and about 4 years ago I just hulled her out at a marina, but her on jacks and replaced all the parts with the new Catalina Direct parts. Brass ball was not easy, but now it runs like a dream.

Cut the chase, hull out, replace parts. Catalina direct let me return son of the pinion parts I did not need to use.
Bite the bullet, replace parts.
David
757-672-3531
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page