Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Replacing Motor Mount
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allmanjoy
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
44 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/09/2020 :  09:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm replacing my motor mount with a more robust one that can handle the heavier 4 stroke. I want to use two of the original holes but the old mount had larger diameter screws, ( which I prefer to use) and the new mount has square holes for the lock bolts. Should I drill 4 new holes for the provided screws or would you use the original screws to avoid more drilling?

Also never did hull work, so what's the best way to fill the old holes? any good videos?

Jay C 1985 C25 SR/SK

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2020 :  15:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several things will help us respond. What year is your boat? What mount is on there now? Do you have the CD handbook? I went through this with our 84 boat. I ended up buying both 1/4" starboard and 1/2" starboard to reinforce the transom, 1/" piece outside and 1/4" piece inside. I was able to use 2 of the existing holes and had to drill two new ones and fill in the 2 old ones. I didn't do it but one member recommended rounding the corners on the outside starboard to reduce possibility of splitting and to add strength. There should be several posts in the archives on this topic. If you use the additional mounting and backing platers, be sure to get longer bolts.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2020 :  22:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmpilc

...I didn't do it but one member recommended rounding the corners on the outside starboard to reduce possibility of splitting and to add strength.
Inside--the corners and vertical edges, to reduce point-pressure against the slightly concave surface. Some caulk under the board also helps spread the load. I used Starboard for an inside backer only for the top two bolts (above the shelf), which pull under forward power. I also made an outside plate for the bracket.

If you don't chose to make an outside plate that covers the holes, you can fill them with Marine Tex epoxy putty, which comes in white, and then for a nicer finish, use a little gelcoat patch in a tube and sand it smooth. If you make a plate that will cover the holes, you can fill them with whatever caulk you have, and also make a bead close to the the outer edges of the plate.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/09/2020 22:45:35
Go to Top of Page

Allmanjoy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
44 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2020 :  08:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a 1985 C25 swing Keel. The mount was the original I believe. One single spring. Its for a suzuki 9.9hp outboard. Negative on CD handbook, but I have the DVD from CD

Jay C 1985 C25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

Allmanjoy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
44 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2020 :  12:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've decided to return the aftermarket motor mount and go with the CD 4 spring after the Covid 19 passes. I'll make due with my one spring for now. I purchased the backing plates from CD for more strength in the time being. Thanks for the assistance, it was very helpful.

Jay C 1985 C25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2020 :  12:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good choice, The mounts from CD were made for these boats.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2020 :  14:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the single spring mount also, from the prior owner, with a pully system to help raise a 9.9 ob. The CD 4 spring is a good choice, the 3 spring might work as well. The holes might line up. If the o/b is 100 lbs or more, go with the 4 spring.
sorry Dave, I thought you were referring to the outside starboard plate because in the pictures I remember seeing, it had rounded corners. All 4 holes on mine were above the inside shelf, so I had a single 1/4" backing plate for all 4 holes. The o/b I bought to replace the old motor was the Nissan brand (also Tohatsu/Mercury) 9.8hp, 25in shaft, elec start. Sweet motor!

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2020 :  07:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The number of springs depends on the motor weight. There have been discussions here about 4-spring Garhauers being too hard to get down far enough to latch, and being difficult to unlatch because of the excessive spring pressure. I also recall someone describing a way to eliminate one spring--carefully...

Another advantage of CD's Garhauer is it has (or had) more vertical travel than just about anything else on the market--good getting propellers deep and XL shafts out of the water.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/11/2020 07:53:22
Go to Top of Page

Allmanjoy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
44 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2020 :  19:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again, very helpful.

Jay C 1985 C25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2020 :  05:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too replaced my original 2? spring mount with a Garhauer 4 spring from CD. In my case (1980 boat) the holes were the same so all I needed to do was add to the backer plate as Dave has described already. It was a very easy swap out! And the 4 spring is easy to handle with my @95 lb Tohatsu 9.8 outboard.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Allmanjoy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
44 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2020 :  17:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question, I've successfully installed the old one spring motor mount with the backing plates, refinished the old wood mount and everything looks great. I launch tomorrow and have an hour drive to the marina. Should I trailer with the 4 stroke 108lbs. motor attached or lay it down in the pick up and attach it when I get there. I see pros and cons to both. I feel like it would put unnecessary stress on the transom.

Jay C 1985 C25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2020 :  17:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think there are any advantages to trailering with the motor mounted Jay. It's just not a good idea.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2020 :  17:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right. There are pros and cons. One pro is that it's really difficult to lift a 108 lb motor onto the mount, probably while climbing up 3-4 steps of a ladder. It's probably easier to do it at home where you can ask your neighbor or a relative to help.

Some people are concerned about the weight damaging the transom. The motor should be tilted when towed, because it's better balanced. The power head is on one side of the mount and the shaft and prop are on the other. You should, of course, avoid hitting the kind of potholes, railroad tracks and other bumps that rattle your teeth.

Years ago, I skipped my nearly new motor down the highway at 55 mph. From that experience I learned to use a safety chain or rope on the motor. Also, check the motor's mounting screws just before you tow to be sure it hasn't loosened up.

If I was towing 1000 miles, I might pay someone a few bucks at my destination to help me mount it. For a short trip, I'd be much more inclined to leave it mounted and keep my speed down.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2020 :  22:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Follow your instincts Jay but, if you do it, keep the motor as straight up and down as possible and as low as possible while maintaining road clearance.

Tilting the motor will greatly increase stress on the transom.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2020 :  05:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could use a ratchet strap around the mount or motor that goes up around a cleat to take some of the load off.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2020 :  05:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The conundrum here is whether a short lever arm, with all the weight on one side of the fulcrum, puts more torque on the fulcrum than a longer lever arm, with the heavier part of the weight balanced on the opposite side of the fulcrum. In either case, the total amount of weight on the transom is the same. The question is whether all the weight on a short lever arm creates more torque than a longer lever arm that is substantially counterbalanced.

Live and learn, eh? It appears that most authorities agree with Keats that an outboard motor should be carried with the engine straight up and down.

The good news is that, in your case, it probably doesn't matter, because, as I recall, you reinforced your transom when you upgraded the motor mount. I carried my engine tilted up on long and short trips alike for many years with an un-reinforced transom and without harm, so your reinforced transom should certainly be up to the task. In any event, you're almost always best to follow the weight of the recognized authorities.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2020 :  10:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've successfully installed the old one spring motor mount with the backing plates

Thought you got a new one.

Go to Top of Page

Allmanjoy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
44 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2020 :  16:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

You could use a ratchet strap around the mount or motor that goes up around a cleat to take some of the load off.

That's what I'll do for sure.

Jay C 1985 C25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

Allmanjoy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
44 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2020 :  16:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

quote:
I've successfully installed the old one spring motor mount with the backing plates

Thought you got a new one.

No, I wish. The difference is only in the lifting ease hence the extra springs. I will upgrade the mount next year, but to de-stress the transom I purchased the backing plates.

Jay C 1985 C25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2020 :  17:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fully understand. Sometimes we forget that it's easy for us to spend other people's money and a boat will eat it up as fast as you feed it.

Go to Top of Page

Allmanjoy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
44 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2020 :  17:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we’re good.

Jay C 1985 C25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2020 :  05:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good. Check the whole rig after a few miles, wheel bearings, straps,tires etc. Have a safe trip.

Edited by - islander on 05/06/2020 05:55:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page