Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Strap launch C25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sailynn
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/24/2016 :  11:19:33  Show Profile
We have strapped launched a Santana 20 many times. Has anyone used a strap for launching or retrieving their C25 from a trailer with rollers and a front wheel. What are the pros and cons? The PO launched in salt water with a tractor and never moved or rinsed the retractable extension and it rusted and finally had to be cut off. We added a articulating front wheel and a removable extension (like the ones on a C250). We are waiting for our welder to finish welding the final connecting pieces and need to haul the boat on Wed. And yes we have a strap rated for the weight of a C25.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2016 :  13:13:17  Show Profile
I forgot to mention we have rollers on our trailer and I did a search on this forum and did see pictures and some explanations. Thanks for any help.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2016 :  18:30:49  Show Profile
I had a fin keel trailer with pads and we had to strap launch/retrieve. All I would add to the standard procedures for using a trailer with rollers is to run a 50' 3/8" line around the trailer winch post and back to the genoa winches. Snug the boat up tight into the winch post by cranking on both genoa winches before pulling out of the water. This will help prevent the boat from slipping backwards on the trailer as it comes out of the water.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2016 :  19:25:12  Show Profile
I've strap launched (C25 WK), but never retrieved with a strap too new to trailering. I'm interested in learning about your articulated wheel set up, I just used the trailer jack wheel, but our ramp is in good condition. Some people I've run into, including some at the ramp thought I was crazy to strap launch but I don't have tongue extender. The strap I used was rated to 20,000 lbs, but I wouldn't stand behind the boat while it's on the incline.

As far as wrapping a line around the trailer to the winches do you do that because you don't have a bow eye or because you don't believe it is strong enough to hold the boat?

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2016 :  05:27:52  Show Profile
One of the guys that I sail with uses a cable to launch and retrieve boats up to 34 feet with a fin keel. his trailer has a fixed 8 inch wheel on the tongue. Not sure I would use the wheel on the jack if the jack is one that can fold up.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2016 :  08:29:42  Show Profile
All I had at the front of my fin keel trailer were two trailer jacks with wheels (I added the second one, mounted on the V part of the frame opposite the spare tire. It worked very well having the second one. I did have a bow eye and a trailer winch, but I wanted extra security that the boat would not slip coming out of the water. With a roller trailer, I would still recommend the added rope bracing, after bringing the boat as far forward as possible with the trailer winch. After all, it is 4600 lbs or more.

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2016 :  11:00:11  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the comments. The welder came through and they put everything together and left at 6:00 am today. I just got off the phone with Dale and they hauled it out with the new extension instead of the strap and were pressure washing the bottom, and then will drop the mast. He sounded pretty busy and disappointed in how much stuff was on the bottom. I will get details tonight but won't see the boat and trailer till Sunday.
Yes we do pull the bow to the stop with the trailer winch, then take a large line from the port forward cleat, around the front of the winch pedestal and tie off to the stbd cleat. We then attach a heavy short chain from the winch pedestal next to the winch strap hook. Because of the way the boat sits on this trailer the boat will launch without anyone getting in the water after all the securing apparatus is removed right at the waters edge. To retrieve I get in the water to just below my knees with my waders on if cold water. If warm water I'm ok with shorts on and keep a dry pair of shoes in the truck.
It's good to know we can do it either way. I'm still going to be nagging for an electric bow winch!

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2016 :  17:16:53  Show Profile
hubby just got home at 4. Was 4+ hr. round trip drive and rest of time working. haul boat out (he used my waders) with the new launch rig with wheel. said rig would have been easier to back in if the wheel was placed on center instead off to the side. lesson learned but doable. short trip over to wash pad and didn't hit any trees or wires. was a bear cleaning the bottom with pressure washer and stiff brushes after five months in water. new a-frame with mainsheet block and tackle worked perfect for lowering the mast. boats sitting at club till sat. or sun. when we pick it up to head south for better sailing conditions. I will post some pics soon of the rig and a-frame.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2016 :  20:01:44  Show Profile
Safe travels!

DavidP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page