Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Another Keel Trunk Bites the Dust
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shoe
Deckhand

Member Avatar

4 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/27/2016 :  12:46:58  Show Profile
During Hurricane Michael's visit, my keel struck the back of the trunk with enough force to lodge the keel into the fiberglass (1978 SK/SR Dinette). The keel stayed stuck in the hole and slowed the flooding enough for the bilge pump to more-or-less keep up. Somebody was watching over me -- the installed bilge pump died the second day after the storm passed, and less than one day after I went to check on the boat! By pure chance, my check-up visits were timed perfectly to get more pumps in operation and replace the original in time to prevent the boat from sinking into the mud. The boat is floating and flooding is under control (<1gal/day) with a epoxy patch over the worst leak. The boat is a fixed keel vessel for the time-being...

So, the back wall of the trunk is destroyed (not the first time - a previous owner had repaired it), and will need to be rebuilt. Any words of wisdom regarding the best way to do this? I will probably hire out the work, but I'm thinking there must be a good way to reinforce the trunk in the process so that it is stronger than the original (material and/or construction methods).

Also, has anyone tried adding a rubber "bumper" to the underwater side of the rear wall so that the keel doesn't strike with as much force if it does hit? I'm thinking a rubber pad that covers the back wall to distribute the impact force. Thoughts?

Shoe
1978 C25 SR/SK
"Passing Wind"

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2016 :  13:23:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Shoe

...Also, has anyone tried adding a rubber "bumper" to the underwater side of the rear wall so that the keel doesn't strike with as much force if it does hit? I'm thinking a rubber pad that covers the back wall to distribute the impact force. Thoughts?
I've wondered about that--maybe a strip of tire tread. But I don't know about the normal degree of contact or clearance there. It won't lessen the overall force of a free-fall, but it could soften the impact and spread the force somewhat, so it might reduce the damage. Many years ago, after cracking the daggerboard trunk in my Sunfish by hitting some underwater object, I put some kind of pad near the bottom of the trunk--I don't remember what. Of course, the scale of your issue is, uhhh, somewhat greater!

Glad you're still afloat! Have you determined what caused the hit?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/27/2016 13:25:09
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2016 :  15:15:58  Show Profile
I thought about that myself. A rubber bumper would definitely help if installed. It would increase the length of impact time and lesson the instantaneous force applied. That being said it would still be a hell of a thud. The leading edge of the trunk is only about 3/8" of fiberglass. A bumper will help but whether or not it would stop the damage is still questionable.

I couldn't really come up with anything good without completely removing the trunk and starting over. A rubber stop would have to be tapered to keep full contact on the edge of the keel, or the front of the trunk moved towards the stern to make up the room. Being that the keel has gone trough the trunk you might be in a better spot for a rubber bumper. I would have had to drop my keel and I really didn't want to go through that pain again. I opted to just over build mine. I will tell you that it feels much more solid than before. Here is the post on my repair. http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29405

Given the forces you had on your boat, I would get it on stands, drop the keel, and give the hanger inserts a good inspection.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2016 :  03:46:22  Show Profile
I'm pretty sure I don't have the pics anymore, but I used a rubber "V" from a trailer (the trailer part that catches the front of the hull up near the winch). Not sure it would of helped in your case, but it it did help keep the keel from moving while itl was up.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

Shoe
Deckhand

Members Avatar

4 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2016 :  11:11:54  Show Profile
Full scope of the job will include replacing keel hangers, cable, spacer mod, etc. Plus thru-hulls, paint, etc...
Since the keel needs to come down anyway, I will have good access to both sides of the trunk.

jduck: Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen the oak blocking before. I think I might try that.

Tcurran: I saw that bumper idea somewhere (maybe the tech tips section?), and I like the idea. It'll take some stress off the hull. Maybe a soft pad epoxied to the trailing edge -- adds a little drag, but that's not my major concern.

I think the geometry of my particular boat will determine the shape of the bumper -- I assume the design intended to have the keel sit more-or-less flush with the face to distribute the loads, but between manufacturing tolerances, almost 40 years in the wild and a repair it's anyone's guess what the particulars are under there! Although since I probably have to rebuild the entire aft wall of the trunk, I have some freedom here.

As for cause, I can only guess. The cable is tight and there isn't much on the winch, so I'm assuming it's still attached (note to self -- mark the cable next time!). I normally have the keel up when dockside since the water is shallow, but it was months ago last time I sailed. On the other hand, it seems surprising that the keel worked its way down on its own (prior to or during the storm). In the down position, slamming the trunk would easily crack it during the storm, but clearly it hit with enough force to drive it through the fiberglass in a short enough time so that the boat didn't flood from only cracking. To me that sounds like the keel got stuck or held by the mud and the hull was slammed backwards into it.

It seems like there was only one way for this to happen and not sink the boat, and I found it without knowing!

Shoe
1978 C25 SR/SK
"Passing Wind"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page